Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Portacot & One thing you could not do without.

Default Portacot & One thing you could not do without.

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about using only a portacot for a bed.

Im sure Ive seen them with adjustable bases (height wise).

Im TTC atm but day dreaming the other day(as you do ) I was thinking about what I would buy.

What is the one thing you could not do without?

Pram and Cot excluded

Thanks

WBAM

I know of people who have used a portacot instead of a normal cot. There is a similar thread here: http://bellybelly.com.au/forums/baby...ntly-help.html

One thing I couldn't do without is our rocker, I can put DS in it and cart him around inside and out. It also makes a great feeding chair.

Portacots don't really have the support that a wee bub needs to be a full time bed I don't think. They aren't very comfortable either, the 'mattress' which comes with them is pretty much useless. You could put a foam mattress cut to size in it, but I think that contravenes the safety standards on them.

One thing I couldn't live without.....um...... rocking chair for night feeds (Swallow Papa), or the automatic baby swing - yep, definately the baby swing. OR a ring sling pouch for baby wearing.

Best of luck TTC .

I was given a portacot and actually haven't used it so I can't help you there. But the one thing I couldn't live without was the Safe n Sound baby capsule for the car, instead of a rear facing car seat... it made it so much easier to just life the whople thing out when he was a newborn rather than unstrapping him and waking him up!

Some sort of rocker or bouncer definitely!

baby bjorn

i couldn't live without my valco rocking chair. its so awsome and i used it every night for feeding.

and also the CD player with motzart playing in his room helps with a good nights sleep.

I loved my tetra snuggle bed, I put it in the cot for when DD was newborn so it was kinda like a bassinette size for her. Then I could take it to friends houses so she could sleep on their bed in a safe "bassinette" type setup (Does that make sense???)

I also think that having some kind of carrier/sling on hand is good, I took mine in the pram so if DD wanted to be carried I could slip her into the carrier & continue my shopping etc with both hands.

Couldn't live without our hug-a-bub. The rocker is also very handy- it's mostly in the bathroom at the moment so I can put him down to go to the loo!

I'd have to say my baby swing. My bub wouldn't let me put him down much and cried a lot with colic, the swing actually allowed me to have a break and get a bit of house work done!
    I have a portacot with adjustable levels and its really good, you don't kill your back trying to reach in to settle bubs.
    Goodluck with TTC

~Belinda~ Guest

We couldn't do without Madeleine's baby bouncer! I don't have a port-a-cot - will have to get one as I have heard they are really useful for trips and the like. She's almost grown out of her BABY BJORN...only goes to 10kgs and the little chubba is 9kgs already!

porta cots are a con .. waste of $$$ ....

the thing i couldnt live with out was a breast feeding pillow ... and a bouncer !!

Love our porta cot. We used it for DD1 instead of a bassinette. We just put her in a snuggle bed in the porta cot. Tip: Don't get a porta cot that has heaps of extras...they are too hard to put up when travelling. If the mattress provided is not thick enough just buy some foam for extra comfort.

Other things I could not do without: My Hugga Bub sling and portable rocker!!!

Quote Originally Posted by *charmalea* View Post
    porta cots are a con .. waste of $$$ ....
    I couldn't disagree more. i do loveour porta cot we use it at least twice a week or more. we use it as a play pen or bed when at someone else's house. we have got our money's worth. we will be getting another to use in the lounge room to protect our twins from their very active and boystrous big brother

I wouldn't use it as a bed at home tho no support for babies delicate spine.

Couldn't live without bouncer/swing, sling (I use an Ergo), and a sleeping bag (ie grobag).

I probably wouldn't want to sleep bubs full time in a portacot unless there was a more comfortable/supportive mattress in it.

I wouldn't use a portacot as a full time bed for baby as a) I don't think it would be that comfortable for them and b) my back wouldn't like me bending down every time I needed to pick Oliver up to resettle etc.

I don't think there is anything I can't live without except my pram, but you said not to count that. I do like my Hugabub, its great for days when OIiver thinks sleep is for weak babies and refuses to. It puts him to sleep in minutes every time.

Thanks for the replies and well wishes with TTC.

Ill have to think some more about a portacot. I didnt even think of the matress support etc.

Thanks everyone.

ds hated portacots even at playtime , if he sees one , he bolts ... so i guess its up to the baby weather they like it or not ...oh and i cant even lift them they are so hevy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast