thread: Pram as a bassinet?

Dec 2008
    Sydney... home is London.

Question Pram as a bassinet?

We only have a small house and we are limited on space. I wondered if it was safe to use the Pram part (of say a Bugaboo) as a bassinet for the first few months?

Does any one have any experience of this?

TIA

Feb 2008
    Country Victoria

if u are meaning something like this.. http://daddytypes.com/archive/silver...o_cameleon.jpg

i dont see why there would be a problem.

Babies can sleep pretty much anywhere when u bring them home. I know a lady that had space issues too and took a draw out of her dresser and made it all comfy and sat it next to her bed and bub slept in that for a while.

the only problem is, they get big quickly, so what are you going to do when the pram gets too small?

Nov 2006
    Somewhere Over The Rainbow

yep its fine hun, i have the love n care nova stroller and bassinette - thats what we used

Mar 2009

We have a bugaboo and DD sleeps in it when we are at friend's or family's places. Works well for us.

Dec 2008

Yes Hollye, That's exactly what I meant. I thought we could have the carrry cot in our room? Bub's will have a it's own nursery so hopefully when bubs grows out of the bassinet it will be time to move into his/her own room? Or do you think they should stay in the same room as you for longer?

Thanks kitt3n/jitterbug, I was just wondering if there was a time limit that they could stay in there because I've read that babies shouldn't be in a car seat for more than 2hours because it's bad for their spine. I suppose a cot is flat and has a comfy mattress so it should be fine?

Dec 2006
    Gippsland Vic

I'm not sure I think I have read abit about not enough ventilation, I would google a bit more... before making a final decision. Occasionally would be okay, but long term???

BellyBelly Member

Feb 2007

We used the bassinette attachment of our Bugaboo for the first month before DS moved to the cot, even after that he often had day sleeps in the bassinette, always with the hood down for ample ventilation. We changed over to the seat part when he was 4 months old.

HTH!

PS - Oh I meant to say that we added to the supplied mattress...a mattress protector, sheepskin and fitted sheet. Although I have a feeling that sheepskins are a SIDS risk....but ours was quite thin.

Jul 2005
    Rural NSW

We've always used our Emmalunga prams as bassinettes for the first few months.... here's some piccys:

DD lying in Emma pram 1995.

DS in 2005 model Emmalunga pram

In the first photo my DD is awake but you can see how the bonnet folded right back to allow good ventilation if she was asleep.

In the second photo you can see how huge the newer model Emmalunga was... it was actually more roomy than our cradle.

Oct 2006
    Perth

We used the bassinette attachment of our Steelcraft Strider until DS was 4 months old. I still wasn't ready for him to sleep in the nursery so we moved his cot into our bedroom. It was a really tight squeeze but we managed, then we moved him out into his nursery at 8 months.

Sep 2007
    Cairns

It is recommended not to use prams for all sleeps (especially for longer sleeps or overnight), partly because the air-flow in many prams is not as good as a cot ot basinette, and partly because it is important for spinal development for a baby to lay on a completely flat surface (although this advice relates more to rockers with a curved surface or prams that don't have a fully flattening lay-back function).

Having said that, our 16 month old still has all of his day sleeps in a pram or carrier, and always has.

Jul 2005
    Rural NSW

Yep, our babies just slept in the Emma prams for day sleeps.... the base was perfectly flat... as flat as a cot... had it's own mattress which i put a fitted sheet on etc.

Nov 2006
    Somewhere Over The Rainbow

i guess i should add that she either slept in the bassinette, on our bed, on our lounge (its huge, not like a normal lounge.... big square) or in the sling........... lol and still does! But now she often sleeps in her cot quite happily during the day. We co sleep at night.

Ventilation wise, we have a little desk fan that we put on whenever she sleeps alone, not blowing on her but just air-rating the room - keep the air moving and makes it fresher in there. I read somewhere that this can help reduce the risk of SIDS.

Oct 2007
    ★ nor here nor there ★

DD slept in her Bug for 4 months, we only shifted her out then as when we got up in the morning her feet were up on the edge, she still had planty of room but we thought it best she go into a cot from there.

We also used one of the pads from her Angel Care Sound and Movement monitor in the pram as well

We fabulous as her bed could go eveywhere One of my friends is using hers at the moment for her newborn as well!

Nov 2008
    Perth

We have a Love n Care bassinet and stand, which is originally off the X-Trail Jogger pram. It's a hand-me-down from my sister which has been 'home' to at least 4 newborns that I know of and has been a fabulous bassinet. I didn't even know it was a pram bassinet until I googled it while writing this post!

We have actually bought the bassinet for our pram as well but there is no point spending money on another stand when the Love n Care is all set to go. If we didn't have the freebie though, we would definitely be using our pram bassinet.

I've just had a thought - I'm sure you can buy a stand for most of the pram bassinets or the market so surely they're designed to be safe for sleeping full time. Why else would they sell the stands as well??

BellyBelly Member

Feb 2007

Ventilation wise, we have a little desk fan that we put on whenever she sleeps alone, not blowing on her but just air-rating the room - keep the air moving and makes it fresher in there. I read somewhere that this can help reduce the risk of SIDS.
    I've read that too. Apparently it can help distribute the CO2 that can pool around their faces.

We also used one of the pads from her Angel Care Sound and Movement monitor in the pram as well
    Us too! Very handy as DS could sleep in our room in his pram as we have a single bed in the nursery when my dad would come to stay.

Sep 2008
    South West Vic

Although i have brand new GORGEOUS cradle DS wont sleep in it, i dont think he feels secure, so i use the bassinette attachment of my babylove triactive jogger fo him to sleep in, i just popped it in the cradle, you can actually buy stands for the bassinette inserts so they are definatley safe to use.

Apr 2008

Just letting you know we have a bassinette and DD has slept in it twice! Lucky we didnt buy it and it was lent to us. At night she sleeps most of the night in our bed.

DD loves her pram bassinette for day sleeps. It is great because she can be rocked to sleep in it and then can be wheeled into another room when she is asleep. It is also completely flat.

Dec 2008

So much great advice on here! Thank you.