Thread: Recommendations for an easy fit baby sling

Default Recommendations for an easy fit baby sling

Hi, I really wnat to buy a baby sling and am finding the choice huge, I am after something that is easy to wear eg: put on and holds the baby secure and wondered if the way to go is with a buckle or just one that goes over your head, also would be good if my husband could wear it so multi person fit.
    Names, brands would be great thanks!!!

hi there! i can highly recommend the the Ellaroo slings. they are a ring style sling with soft padding around the edge so that bubba is more comfy and so are you. because it is a ring style it can fit both you and your partner. DH and I have been using ever since DD was born and she is now 10 months old and still using it. it can be used on the front, hip and back depending on bubs age etc. when they are little they can be lying down (although DD didnt like that too much) or can be curled up facing you against your chest (she loved that way!).

HTH!

I have a bubba moe which just goes over your head and then you adjust it with a clip, so not too hard.
    Used it with DS up till about a month ago - with him on my hip or back - and planning on using it for this new one.... will get to test it shortly!!!!

i love my ergo. it is very comfy, ds loves it and dp wears it all the time.

Thanks for the replies, have a bit of time left so will kep on looking.

There are lots of different options...

The main choices in one shoulder sling style carriers are ring slings (unpadded or padded in the shoulder only) - which have an open tail, closed tailed carriers with either rings or buckle - these usually have padded rails (eg: the bubba moe and babyrock comfy carry), and pouches (eg: peanut shell).

A ring sling with either no padding or only light padding in the shoulder is the most adjustable as the fabric can be adjusted at any point along its width (both the pouch and the rails is adjustable). Although it might seem that a padded sling would be more comfy, this is often not the case. A well adjusted unpadded ring sling cups your shoulder and the fabric spreads across the back, removing pressure points. It also is comfier for bubs, as they mould to your body more comfortably. Fabric choices can make a difference - a strong, soft, supportive fabric like woven cotton or linen will give greater comfort. A ring sling does take a little more practice adjusting properly than a pouch or buckle sling, but is more flexible in the way it can be used. Bear Hug Baby is a good Australian made unpadded ring sling, as are Wildslings, and Maya Wrap makes a good lightly padded ring sling with padding in the shoulder only.

A padded sling with padding in the rails (ie: the length of the fabric that sits under bubs legs and on top of their shoulders) is less adjustable. Whether a ring sling or buckled sling, often the rails are not separately adjustable, and the top rail is not able to be tightened enough and bubs leans, creating drag on the shoulder. The pouch of the fabric usually cannot be separately adjusted and can be too big for a smaller bub, meaning that bub slumps when upright or sits too low in cradle carry. A sling with heavily padded rails (like the comfy carry) often discourages a correct sitting position, with knees above bum, as the padding is too bulky to create a pouch. Some people find these slings work for them, but those who are shorter, taller, who carry a lot or who have back problems may not. I have used a comfy carry, and find a ring sling much more comfortable.

Pouches are most convenient, but must be correctly sized to the wearer - they are not suitable if your partner is of a different size to you. Pouches should not be measured for when pregnant, either.

Alternatively, you could look for a two shouldered buckle carrier. These are more supportive for larger / older babies and for longer carries. That's a whole other discussion in itself, but for eg: Ergo (not brilliant for very narrow shouldered people though), Pikkolo (can carry newborns), Beco and Patapum (not easy to get in Australia), are all good buckle carriers - based on the principle of a mei tai - which has waist and shoulder straps which tie instead of buckle. These are recommended over carriers such as a bjorn, as the baby sits rather than dangles, which is better for spinal and hip development. They are also more comfortable to wear.

If interested in researching further, google 'the babywearer' - you'll find lots of information on carriers. It's a US site, in Aus look for 'baby carriers downunder' - it's a google group and has lots of info too.

HTH!

I second Bubba Moe - lightweight (good for upcoming summer bubbas) and only one clip and fully adjustable.

I had a baby carrier and found it an absolute pain with all the clips and adjustments to be made all the time between DH & I ...