Thread: Should I invest in a tandem pram?

Default Should I invest in a tandem pram?

Hi all
    Having my first baby, due December. Hubby and I want a second bubba pretty close, as I am getting older! I'm thinking if all goes to plan, our second one might come along when the first bubba is about 17-20mths.
    I really want a light weight, easy to fold pram that is nice and compact and easy to manouver, and I would love to have a reversible handle so I can face bubs towards me. I had settled on the idea of a peg perego uno, but now am thinking I might need to plan in the long term for bub 2. The option of a toddler seat attachment that allows the toddler to sleep as well as the baby would be good on whatever pram I choose.
    So far, the only options that look do-able to me are the baby jogger city select, phil and teds, or steelcraft strider plus. I cant stand the look of phil and teds so i would like to avoid it if i can... it just looks so sporty and that's just not me!!
    Any thoughts or suggestions?
    Thanks,

The new Steelcraft....um, sorry can't remember the model name but its in the current edition of most pregnancy mags - could be the strider plus, looks good.

I'm a P&T gal sorry . I love it!

the strider plus ticks all ur boxes and is the cheapest model ur looking at. we have the 4 wheel and love it to bits

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

We had same plans for 2 close together so bought Phil and Ted Dash sorry no help am I.

It is a good pram easy to use, sturdy.

I have 4 friends with phil and teds and close together kids. All love them 1 with a valco and doesn't like it as toddler cant sleep in seat.

The P&T was the only inline tandem available when I had ds, and it wasn't compatible with a travel system(then) so it wasn't for us. I'm now utd with #2 and will prob go with the strider plus as our capsule will fit on it. Ds will still need to sit and sleep in a pram so it's the best choice for us.

We are buying double pram as well cause we'll start trying for number 2 at like 10 mths...
    I've looked and test driven (Lol) heaps of double prams and have my heart set on Strider Plus. It's amazing and heaps easy to manouver! The seat reverses not the handle which is good cause then the steering doesn't go all weird! HEAPS of space underneath in the basket and both seats can recline so both bubs can be sleeping at the same time. It's also one of the cheaper ones considering most are over $1000.
    Here is a link to the Strider:
    Strider Plus Pram Stroller - Steelcraft Britax

We figured that it was way cheaper to buy a tandem now instead of spending $300-$700 on a single pram to only have to spend another $600-$700 in 18 months time when the second one comes along. And it's so easy to attch the second seat.

LOL I sound like an advertiser!! hahah

I had just under 19 months between my first two, and just under 16 months between #2 and #3. There will be around 16 months between #3 and #4.

I didn't buy a double pram for any of them, I have a few good carriers that I use for one and push the other. So thats an option too. I got a Maclaren stroller because it can adapt from newborn to toddler, so I use that for either the baby or the toddler, and then my 3.5 year old walks. Sometimes the toddler walks too and I carry/push the baby.

But I've never really had a need to get one, so there is no rule to say that just cos you have them close together you have to buy a double pram, they are so bulky and heavy (most of them anyway!) So thats another option too - fork out the dollars on a good carrier instead!

I have just been looking at tandem prams for DD & DS, I didnt like the steelcraft strider because it had solid plastic wheels and they aren't suitable for the type of use my prmas get.. I need to have real tyres. We ended up putting a Phil & Ted's Hammerhead on laybuy becuase it has real tyres & is a 4 wheeler.
    At the moment I have DS in a Close Carrier & DD in the pram and probably will until DS is 3-4 months old

Well im gonna go test some out tonight - the city select, strider and phil and teds and compare all!! hopefully one of them will suit..
    Mel - I've thought about the carrier option, but how do you manage with just one pram at the shops, with the baby in carrier and then toddler who wants to run off everywhere and explore everything?
    I guess for me Im thinking it would be nice to go for little outdoor strolls as well eventually and a bub in a carrier might get a bit heavy for longish walks...

So here's the outcome of my pram shopping. Went to the shop thinking I would come away with a city select or strider, or possibly (but highly unlikely) the phil and teds... but even though the sales rep was wanting to sell us a P & T which are cheaper, I ended up with an iCandy!
    Here's why..
    iCandy - was most light weight (very important for me). you could take the seat or seats off with click of one button (very easy) to separate the seat or seats from the frame to make it easier to lift in and out of the car. It took me a while to work out how to collapse the frame but I got it eventually, the only downside is the push button has to be operated with your left hand. The configuration of the seats for two children seemed to be the best set up - i liked how you could face both seats looking forwards, with the oldest child in the front seat looking out at the world and the newborn behind them but fully reclined, so giving a good view of the newborn when pushing the pram. A lot more expensive than the others, but my husband and I both felt that it just seemed like the right one for us. You start out with a single pram, and then you upgrade to a 'pear' when you have your second child, which involves a kit that attaches to the frame and then two new seats separately as you cant use the original pram seat once there are two children using it. I am and hoping and figuring by the time we get around to needing the two seats, the price of the pear kit will have come down as the pram will be not so new to the market, but if not, never mind. The other thing that I liked, is you could eventually use the original pram as just a stroller by taking off the hood and insert (flavour kit they call it), so it might last a bit longer when its just your youngest using a stroller and they are growing taller and you just need to get out for quick trips.
    City select - although there seemed to be more growth in these seats, the seating configuration for two kids together just didnt seem right - in whatever way the seats were positioned, it just seemed like one child would be irritaed by feeling like the other seat was right on top of them and would probably end up kicking the seat or not wanting to sit there, it just seemed less roomy than the apple. The seats also didnt allow full recline which would be needed for a young baby. The warranty with this pram is better than with the iCandy though.
    Strider - I did quite like the look of this pram and the ways it can be set up, but it was a lot heavier than the iCandy and seemed a lot bulkier and bigger. Weight was a huge factor for me in lifting in and out of the car as I am not a strong person!. The lady in the shop also mentioned that you would need to use the disability check outs in the supermarket with this pram as the wheelbase is too wide.
    P & T - no way!! Far too heavy.. I couldnt even lift the thing! - I know there are many out there that use P & T's, but I did once have a physio friend of mine tell me I am the weakest person she has ever met! so for me, it just didnt happen! I also just didnt like the look of the seat for a newborn or how when it is configured for two children, the newborn is underneath the toddler and a bit hard for Mum to monitor them.
    So I'm hoping its the right decision... obviously I havent had the experience of actually trying children in them yet, but with my imagination, the iCandy just seemed best.