Thread: Toddler booster seat - which one???

Question Toddler booster seat - which one???

Hi - I am after some recommendations regarding Toddler booster seats. My almost 3yo daughter is 19kg and 100cm tall. So her baby seat is now not considered safe - I was planning on getting the Maxirider but have just read up and it would appear that they do not recommend the use of the 5 point harness at her weight. Given that it is an expensive seat I was wondering if anyone has used the Safe n Sound Pegasus/Urban or some other brand which attaches to the car and has an antisubmarining clip to avoid her slipping under the belt and out of the seat.
    I have read that the older style foam boosters are unsafe so was planning on the Maxirider but assumed that the harness was still to be used. Obviously if it is the safest I'd happily spend the money - I just want to make sure I make the best choice as we have several car seats already and she grows so quickly I really wonder how long it will be before she is over the recommended 26kg -
    Any advice and recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!! Cheers

the best booster is the infa vario max. Both my boys have them and when I brought them they were the top rating, highest stars booster. They are decently priced too. I paid $120 plus $30 for H harness. The boys are quite tall too at 115cm each and they still have HEAPS of room to grow.
    Last edited by Visitor8; March 22nd, 2009 at 08:15 AM. Reason: adding something.

I was going to suggest getting a H harness too, no matter what booster you buy it will make your DD much safer

As you child is tall, I would look for one where it grows in height and also the harness as well. Even though they are rated to 26kilos some actualy are rated hire in America and other countries. So if you can find out if they are get one of those. I know that safe n sound (britax is the main company make seats for america which are the same as ours just with different logos on them.) I have the pegasus (i think) as it is quiet wide at takes up alot of space. I also have a maxirider and my 5 yr old sits in it at 115cm and has some more room to grow, hers is the older style one so can't have a harness but the new ones can. I love it.

I think they are making some now for older children that are rated to over 40kg, but I can't remember what brand they were, but they just use an adult seatbelt with the H harness

I too agree with the Infa Vario Max with a H harness. We had a Safe N Sound Pegasus and it was made of foam. We had to slam our brakes on one night because a car cut in front of us. The seat snapped. The Infa Vario Max is blown plastic which is much stronger. The headrest adjusts so as they get taller, the headrest can move up.

My sister brought the one from Target, I think it's a pegusus. Her's also snapped and she had SOOO many issues getting them to replace it, cos she didn't have the reciept. Eventually she got it done and hasn't had any issues since. That is a bit scary though. I never liked the foam ones personally.

Default Thanks!!!

Thanks for the advice ladies! I am off shopping this morning - and feel much more prepared with your help

Cheers!

In SA the laws are changing in relation to child restraints, where all children up to the age of 7 must be in an approved child restraint - and going by age (as opposed to height and weight) to ensure each child is in the correct restraint. (However there will be provisions made for larger sized children).

As a result of some findings from the Centre for Automotive and Safety Research there was a need for a larger booster seat -as we all know - the largest booster seat currently available only suits up to 26kg.
    Currently there is an Australian Standard being created so booster seats can be made to suit kids up to 36kg. Hence it won't take too long before they hit the market.

But if you need one now - for the safety of your child, get one!

(I'll take my work hat off now )