Thread: Upstairs and downstairs.... Help me experienced Mums!!

Default Upstairs and downstairs.... Help me experienced Mums!!

Hello ladies!

Need some advice from all you experienced Mum's out there! I am trying to work out the sleeping situation for my bub due in August. The house we live in has bedrooms downstairs and living area, kitchen and my office (I work from home) upstairs. We will be putting a cot in the nursery downstairs but as I will be upstairs most of the day and dont want to be so far away from baby while they are sleeping, I will need to have somewhere for them to sleep upstairs also. I hear most people dont use cots till bubs is a bit older?

I did want to get a Cariboo bassinet, but now I am thinking about a moses basket with possibly two stands? Then I can have one stand upstairs and one downstairs and can carry the basket between them? Do you think it would be dangerous/too heavy to carry the basket upstairs in the morning and downstairs in the evening? Or should I just put my Cariboo bassinet upstairs and then carry bubs downstairs and put them in the cot when we go to bed? Do you think that would be too much disturbance for a sleeping baby every night?

Thank you!!!

I'd keep the bassinet upstairs instead of lugging it around and then when bub wakes up for the last feed before bedtime putting him/her in the cot after the feed? IYKWIM

Can you afford to have two cots - bassinets generally don't last very long (bubs grow quite quickly). One upstairs and one downstairs - perhaps looking at a portable for upstairs. Will you be able to work from home with bub for quite a while or will you be looking for child care after a few months. A portable could also be a playpen if required, and some come with bassinet attachments which will last a couple of months as well.,

Babies adjust to different sleep areas quite quickly - I'm a FDC Carer and know from past experiences that babies sleep here quite well during the day will also sleep quite well at home in a different cot. (i've had one recently who at home uses a portable and here uses a wooden, permanent cot - sleeps through at night and here for hours at a time)

I think carrying bits and pieces will become tiring very quickly, - think about how many trips up and down each day you'll need to make before you can start work (bub, bassinet, nappy bag, etc)

This is how I plan to tackle my similar problem...

Upstairs - bassinette in our room for however long bubs can sleep in it... then once outgrown bubs will go into cot in room nextdoor which will be bubs room. Upstairs will be for night sleeps or when I have a sleep during the day too

Downstairs - day cot that has a newborn insert for the newborn stage

This is just my plan... have no idea if it will work in practice!

we used a moses basket and had one stand. it worked really well for us as i would have her do her day sleeps in there and then like someone else mentioned when the bed time feed came around she would then be popped into her cot at night ITMS.

Personally, we had our DS in his bassinette for some time, 6 months. At about that age, I was happier with him being in his cot, because it was quieter in his room.

It is worth remembering that most babies as they get older do need some level of quiet while they are sleeping. So maybe being in the upstairs area with you will be okay while bubs is little (and I would recommend that), but as time goes on s/he might be better downstairs for sleeps. You can always invest in a good monitor!

I like the idea of the moses basket too, being able to carry bubs around. I would go for whichever you think is the most flexible option for you. I know that's hard to work out, but you will know best
    Last edited by Janie; April 2nd, 2009 at 02:02 PM.

[ Do you think it would be dangerous/too heavy to carry the basket upstairs in the morning and downstairs in the evening?

Isn't that why you have a DH
    I always had a portacot set up out in the living room for the baby during the day(hee hee, even though our bedroom is only like 10 m from the loungeroom)