thread: what clothes do we REALLY need for a Newborn

Dec 2008
    Brisbane, QLD

Question what clothes do we REALLY need for a Newborn

How many of what kinds of clothes will I NEED for my newborn?
    I'm thinking:
    - 5x singlets,
    - 5x long sleeve one pieces (the ones with the buttons down middle and each leg for easy changing. IYKWIM?)
    - 5x short sleeve one pieces (the ones with the buttons down middle and each leg for easy changing.)
    - 3x socks
    - 1x beanie

Also what about wraps?
    It'll be a QLD winter so...
    - 3 x muslin and
    - 3x thicker ones for colder days (what materials are best?).

Is there anything else we really need? It doesn't seem like enough.
    How many of each item do we need?

We're trying to keep costs as low as possible without ending up short of things we need or buying "cheap and nasty" products.
    Last edited by Calluna; April 29th, 2009 at 11:36 AM. : updating list and numbers.

BellyBelly Life Subscriber

Feb 2006
    melbourne

i loved nighties for my newborn, makes nappy changing much easier!

Feb 2009
    On the couch.

I would say
    5 singlets (dont get any smaller than 000 as they ride up)
    5 short sleeved jumpsuits
    5 long legged/armed jumpuits
    3 muslins
    3 blankies

that should do you... we went nuts with bub and i just packed away so much unworn 000 stuff... remember too if your having a shower you will get given most of this stuff.
    Good luck!!

Dec 2008
    Brisbane, QLD

3 blankies
    Do you mean thicker wraps or an actual blanket?

Feb 2009
    On the couch.

Sorry! meant thicker wraps. The ones from big w are great as well as their muslins and they are cheap too.

Dec 2008
    Brisbane, QLD

ok ta

Apr 2008
    The Purple House, Sydney

Totally agree with Jords and her list But I'd say buy one or two 0000 JIC- my bubs was so tiny when he was born, 000 swamped him. A couple of little pairs of socks would go down nicely too. Don't worry about shorts and t shirts- the ride up and down and don't look comfy.

I'd also throw in a little hat for going out at night. But if you are having a shower, wait till after it to do your shopping so you know what you need.

For stuff you buy yourself, I reckon Bonds is the go- it is a little pricey compared to the cheap stuff but it's excellent quality and well worth the money.

Dec 2008
    Brisbane, QLD

Were probably not going to do a baby shower, maybe after its born, as I think some of my family will be visiting from interstate,or maybe we will do a family one. We don't really have friends we'd invite.

I thought I needed shirt and shirts at the beginning, something to do with the umbilical cord? IDK, maybe I made that up in my head. lol I tend to do that alot.

Apr 2008
    The Purple House, Sydney

Hmm... I don't *think* so, I'm pretty sure I had ds in a jumpsuit right from the start... but I could be wrong...

Nov 2008
    Perth

I thought I needed shirt and shirts at the beginning, something to do with the umbilical cord? IDK, maybe I made that up in my head. lol I tend to do that alot.
    Bubs will be super comfy in jumpsuits hon. Shirts and shorts are actually a bit impractical for little bubbies as the shirts can ride up and if the material is stiff cotton (like a lot of shirts), they can be uncomfortable too. Jumpsuits are perfect. Soft, practical and snuggly.

Dec 2008
    Brisbane, QLD

oh good, lol, the less we have to buy the better.

Feb 2007
    ACT

if you want cheap blankets/wraps i used with my second ones polar fleece that I cut to the size i wanted, you dont even have to hem them. Worked well.

Apr 2008
    The Purple House, Sydney

Just a quick word on the jumpsuits hun- try and get one that button up the front or have buttons on the side of the neck, rather than ones with a really wide neck, iykwim? The ones with a wide neck always go saggy and stretch too much and they end up not covering their chest properly.

Add aussienic on Facebook

Feb 2005
    Boyne Island

Bond suits and lots of them k maybe 5-6.. I always find no matter what you buy they end up being in them alot in those first few weeks..

It is nice to have a couple nice things for them to wear if you are going out or showing them off for the first time.. but big thick jumpers ect are just plain painful

the Wraps from Target or Big W are great as are the small bunny rugs..

singlets are good but the best ones to get are the ones that button between the legs.. they don't ride up.. get a few of those.. they are great especially for winter..

2013 BellyBelly RAK Recipient.

May 2007
    Brisbane

Can I also suggest not going toonuts on the wraps. Jazz HATED being wrapped from day one, and we found sleeping bags were so much better, she could kick and not feel restricted (which I assumed was why she hated the wraps) but it kept her warm.

Dec 2008
    Brisbane, QLD

Just a quick word on the jumpsuits hun- try and get one that button up the front or have buttons on the side of the neck, rather than ones with a really wide neck, iykwim? The ones with a wide neck always go saggy and stretch too much and they end up not covering their chest properly.
    I was planning to get the ones that button up the front anyway, but thanks for the tip I wouldn't have known. I'll have to (try) remember that in future.

Bond suits and lots of them k maybe 5-6.. I always find no matter what you buy they end up being in them alot in those first few weeks..

It is nice to have a couple nice things for them to wear if you are going out or showing them off for the first time.. but big thick jumpers ect are just plain painful

the Wraps from Target or Big W are great as are the small bunny rugs..

singlets are good but the best ones to get are the ones that button between the legs.. they don't ride up.. get a few of those.. they are great especially for winter..
    hehe any excuse is good enough for me to buy the cute stuff.

Can I also suggest not going too nuts on the wraps. Jazz HATED being wrapped from day one, and we found sleeping bags were so much better, she could kick and not feel restricted (which I assumed was why she hated the wraps) but it kept her warm.
    Don't the wraps only come in packs of 3?
    Are sleeping bags exxy?

Everyone - thanks for the tips, I need all the help I can get in this department. please, keep it coming.

ETA - were going to use terry flats as well, should we get the next size up in clothes so it fits over the nappy? or would 000 still be ok?
    ETA2 - updated original post. WDYT?
    Last edited by Calluna; April 29th, 2009 at 11:35 AM.

Mar 2006

Like aussienic suggested the singlets that button up are fantastic for winter babies. They keep their backs covered and toasty warm. If you are thinking about wraps I didn't actually buy any wraps I bought cot sheets and folded them in half as wraps when they were newborns and then shortened the overlap fold as they grew. Saved us a heap and if bubba doesn't like being wrapped you haven't wasted your money as you can use them on their cot. Having a winter baby I would definitely suggest a beanie/hat for going out. They get so cold if their heads aren't covered.
    Like the other girls have said the one piece suits are fantastic. I would work off around 5 -6. You may just need to wash more regularly but totally doable. There are some gorgeous little suits around now so you don't just have to get the plain colours. You have got heaps of time so wait for sales and layby things so you can it off slowly. Also look for bulk packs too. Shop around for the best prices. Takes a bit of time but can save you heaps in the long run.
    You will need a few blankets (2 or 3) depending on how good you are at washing and drying clothes.
    Best of luck darl. Enjoy shopping for bubba.

Add Daffodil Mumma on Facebook

May 2008
    Rural NSW

You should be able to get wraps in single packs aswell as the three packs...Im pretty sure BigW has them (the ones in single pack I had were gifts so I cant be sure) My DS hates being wrapped too, but he is still in the bassinet and its freezing here already so they are great for blankets

Ditto what the others have said about bonds...but dont go nuts on the 0000.....bonds always seems to be smaller than other brands! Bonds also do a singlet with the crotch snaps (Coles, BigW etc) which I am loving at the moment. I have 4 in the 000 size and they are great cos they dont ride up so i know bub is always covered and they fit great over cloth nappies too

The one piece suits are fine over the cord stump too (didnt cause my DS troubles anyway) Just had to be careful when taking his singlet off not to get it caught!

Other than that did I mention Bonds suits lol?? Both me and family members went a bit crazy buying cute clothes for my DS and they are either too small already or I dress him up all cute and he promptly throws up all over himself lol so he lives in wondersuits, unless we are having photos and I want him to be abit cute

Good luck and all the best for the birth of your little one