Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do we need to look for when we are buying a pram/stroller?

Question What do we need to look for when we are buying a pram/stroller?

Actually, first, what is the difference between a pram and a stroller...?

Ok... well after looking around a lot we have decided to get serious and think about which one we want.

But we can't even tell the difference between most of them, except that some have reversible handles (which I love, and would like to have on ours) and some have 3 wheels (which i hate).

What else do we need to look at? Are there safety features we should be looking for? Certain features that are pointless?

All this is just so confusing!

What are you going to be using it for?
    If you're going to be putting it in the car often then ease of folding/unfolding is good and size/weight matters.
    If you're walking a lot then it needs to be sturdy and have great wheels but weight isn't so important.

Sounds dumb but the one feature that I always wish I had is a cup-holder for me. When you're pushing one handed and having a drink and your phone goes it's a PITA having to find a place for your drink.

In QLD I would say that a good shade thingy is important.

One of my first prams had reversible handles - it was hard to steer when Yasin was facing me.
    Are you and Shel about the same height? If not you might want to consider adjustable handles - it can be tough on your back if the handles are at an awkward height.

I love my 3 wheeler because I can steer it one handed.

See this is why I need your help lol, I didn't think of any of that...!!!!!

Right... Cup holder *tick* its now on my list!

Seriously though, thanks I really wouldn't have thought of most of that, especially the height of the handles (and I am a shorty and Shel is REALLY tall, so its probably pretty important too!).

some handles on prams will have extentsions!! thats what i looked at cause DP is tall and im not!!

my 3 wheeler had a cup holder and was great but i hated the pram.. so i got a 4 wheeler that had reverse handle and love it but like dachlostar said it was hard to steer when the hand was reversed!!

i saw a 3 wheeler the other day that had reverse handle!!

Not sure about prams that have cup holders but I have seen ones where you can attach a cup holder to any pram so that would be that problem solved! you do want a pram that is farily light and I love our 3 - wheeler cause it's so easy to move. Make sure your pram isn't too wide cause then it's hard to get through checkouts and lots of small shops. good luck!

Hi, my bub Sara is five months old and we go to mother's group and i have looked at a few prams, ours has four wheels, is easy to steer, starts out as a falt bassinet type that can face either way then as they get older you can transorm it so that they can be tilted up or when they get even bigger it converts to fully sitting up at any time it can be turned around so that it does or doesn't face you, our bub slept in her for a couple of months as it comes with a matress that covers up the straps the base folds down and you can easily take the wheels off but the top bit does not fold down so it depends on how much room you have. I have found it to be good as i can always have Sara facing me and see what she is up to, give reassurance etc, with some three wheelers once they get bigger they can't face you. If this sounds good i can give you the name. I had no idea when we went pram shopping.

I went baby shopping today for the first time and boy was it confusing. So thanks for starting this thread!!

Sara, I curious to know the brand and model of your pram. It sounds like a good idea if the bassinet converts to a seat and you can reverse it as well.

Did anyone consider baby #2 when you were shopping for a 1st pram or did you just cross that bridge later??

I have a Childcare Vector reversibe pram. this has locks on all four wheels and you can choose which wheels swivel. I find this 1 easy to steer in reverse coz i have the front wheels unlocked. Look for a pram that has a safety lock when folding and red brakes. have a look at choice and see what they recommend. and ALWAYS pick the pram up yourself and try to fold it yourself. if you can, measure your car boot and make sure that the pram will fit when folded. HTH

Thanks for starting this thread leasha...we will be hunting for a pram soon so will be reading here with interest. So far from my research on the net I like the Steelcraft Enigma. But need to go to the baby shops and test drive all the different types.

Exaclty what I was going to say Ali, make sure it fits in your boot and that you can lift it.

Good luck girls it certainly is up there with buying a car isn't it?

I'm not a big fan of the 3 wheelers either I ended up getting a 4 wheeler, reverse handle Steelcraft Acclaim for $250.

I had a list of wishes which were..
    * Light weight (some prams are really heavy like over 15kg) and easy to fold so I can lift and fold it easy at the shops.
    * Reverse handle so I could see baby then turn baby around when he she's awake(I found it difficult with my other 2 when the handle was fixed, the kids got bored looking at me LOL.
    * Lay back for newborn (alot of 3 wheelers you need to buy a seperate bassinett attachement as they have bucket seats.
    * lockable wheels particularly with reverse handle to stop the swiveling etc (I found the Acclaim has 8 wheels so they're alot easier to steer).
    * Basket underneath for shoping etc.
    * Handle that is a bar so I could hang my satchel baby bag on (just a personal preference though).
    * Easy to clean, washable fabric preferably removable for spills.
    * I love the cup holder (I had one with my stroller) but I think you can buy them to attach if end up with a pram that doesn't have one already.

I guess it's a very personal thing because it depends on your needs and your tastes, I'm a shorty too but I'm the one that pushes the pram 99% of the time so I thought it was more important I got the pram I liked. I tend to walk the kids to school some times so it needed to suit the terain, And since I have 2 kids already I wanted it to be able to fit in the boot without taking up too much space. It took me months to decide on the pram I liked good luck!!

Here's a list of SOME of the prams I checked out if your interested, you can search them on google and check out the reviews etc hopefully it doesn't confuse you

Steelcraft - Enigma reverse handle
    - Acclaim reverse handle
    - Orbit reverse handle
    - Elite reverse handle
    - Runabout

Childcare - Vector reverse handle
    - Discovery
    - Commuter

Mothers Choice - Nite

Graco - Liberty Elite
    - Quattro Tour

Jeep Grand Cheroke

Oh my post came up twice so just editing one
    Last edited by joralyd; January 5th, 2008 at 03:33 PM.

I have researched some of the prams mentioned on this thread. Google came up with a product review for the Steelcraft Enigma - DON'T Buy Steelcraft Enigma Reverse Handle Stroller Until You Read Reviews by Consumers

I'm sure all products get good and bad reviews but thought some of the comments were interesting, I hope this info is helpful.

hi everyone our pram is a love n care adiva sport paid $380. Tried to look on choice but they have not road tested this one. Good luck shopping everyone. I did not consider a second baby.

Don't forget also to check if there is anywhere little fingers / arms / legs can get hurt when you're reversing the handle....

We just decided on a pram today- Steelcraft Profile.

The points that were important to us were:
    Lightweight and small when folded as we travel a lot
    Easy steering (but understanding that we were prepared for it not to be as good as the top of the range prams)
    Full recline to use from newborn
    Front bar for smaller baby to hold onto when sitting up
    Large, easily accessed basket
    Tall enough handles for my tall H
    No cup holder- I find they get in my way and annoy me and I always use a water bottle which is more awkward sue to it's height so I prefer to put it in the basket

Chalalan Guest

Thanks for starting this thread Leasha! We looked at a few prams / stroller thingies and just threw our hands up in the air - all too hard! Its really hard to know what you want/need if you have no idea!

I'm keeping an eye in shopping centres etc at prams that I like to look of and taking note of features that I like. Early days yet, not time to be buying yet, just looking at what other mums and dads are using.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast