thread: What I learnt from two days of car seat research about convertible boosters - long and boring :-)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Registered User

    Mar 2007
    6,900

    Re: What I learnt from two days of car seat research about convertible boosters - long and boring :-)

    Thank you! It's all so confusing!!
    Do you know when I have to change DD1 to a booster? She is still using a MaxiRider without height markers, with the inbuilt harness. She is 5 years old but only little, i.e. I think only between 15 and 16 kilos, lol. Found the info I got with it but it doesn't even say, just says you can change them at 4. I want her to stay with the 5 point harness as long as she can.

  2. #2
    Registered User

    Sep 2008
    Melbourne
    3,300

    Re: What I learnt from two days of car seat research about convertible boosters - long and boring :-)

    Thank you! It's all so confusing!!
    Do you know when I have to change DD1 to a booster? She is still using a MaxiRider without height markers, with the inbuilt harness. She is 5 years old but only little, i.e. I think only between 15 and 16 kilos, lol. Found the info I got with it but it doesn't even say, just says you can change them at 4. I want her to stay with the 5 point harness as long as she can.
    This is one of the issues I think with the change over, it isn't that clear. If the MaxiRider doesn't have height markers it will have a weight limit (probably 18kg) - so if it is 18kg then providing her shoulders aren't more than 2.5cm above the top harness slot. I think the main thing have learnt is that you should always follow manufacturers guidelines, but don't worry about age - age is only really in there due to the law mainly - rather than safety, also if the seat you have doesn't allow you to do what you want e.g. keep harness there is likely to be another seat that does, but finding out what that one is, is not as easy as it should be.

  3. #3
    Registered User

    Sep 2008
    Melbourne
    3,300

    Re: What I learnt from two days of car seat research about convertible boosters - long and boring :-)

    The FB group that has lots of information is called "‎Child restraints. Is your child restrained correctly?" - does appear to have lots of info on what height markers are in the different seats, and also if you need to fit 3 across what fits in different cars.

    It does have some people who work for car seat manufacturers in it, so bear that in mind - it is difficult to tell how impartial the info is.

    Also car seats are about risk minimization, the site is very pro extended rear facing, which is fine, but personally I think advice about giving 6 months olds food, or propped up bottles, or DVD players just so they will be happy to rear face, ignores the risks that these things have (particularly the food) and while it is up to individuals to assess what is best, I am not entirely comfortable with the stating of the risks of forward facing, without mentioning risks of food (at 6 months it is usually recommended that you can see and easily access a baby while it is eating/sucking on food) etc. etc.