Thread: When do I fit my car seat?

Default When do I fit my car seat?

Hi guys...9 weeks to go till bubs arrives...just wanting to know when I should have my car seat fitted?

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

Congratulations and Good luck!!!

I originally had car booked in for 36 weeks but DH thought to early so changed to late in 38th week.

I got induced early in 38th week so whole i was in hospital DH had to go and get it fitted.

Moral of story is 36 weeks seems most sensible!!

I installed mine at 36weeks with my 3rd, first was done at 32weeks after I had been in hospital for the first time. and 2nd I did at 33weeks when the doctors started to talk about the posibiltiy of bub being early, she came at 39weeks lol.

I have 8 wks to go (). I rang capsule hire place a few weeks ago and am taking my car to him when i hit 35 weeks......

NOW! only to save you from having the fitter say "all you need to do now is have the baby" a week after you have (he was early and in SCN). An honest mistake, but one I would have rather not experienced.......

...but to be honest, I would say 35 weeks is good, just so you can stop thinking about one more thing that needs to be done.

I agree with around 35-36 weeks. I wanted to get ours put in around that time but DH went away for work and I wanted him to be there so that if we needed to move the car seat he would know how to do it. We ended up getting it put in at 37+5 days and my waters broke that night so we got it put in just in time!!

ASAP!! LOL!

i rang up when i was 35 weeks to book it in and the earliest they had was when i was 39 weeks! DD arrived at 38 weeks and it took DH to do a whole: 'i am not leaving this office until someone takes me seriously that the baby is born and needs to come home' line. seriously, they didnt believe him!

it was unnecessary stress and i just don't recommend it. after all the hooplah of getting installed we had no idea of how to actually use it and poor DD was guinea pig to us trying to adjust straps etc etc. she was not impressed lol!

DP did it the afternoon after I had DD!

Talk about leaving it until the last minute. He has installed and checked them before so knew exactly what to do.

Any time you like. Just get ready - for the first couple of weeks - to freak out every time you see it out of the corner of your eye. LOL

where cosmopolitans and margaritas flow all night

We installed ours the day I went into labour just before we left the house to go to the hospital. DD was born the next day and DH wrote the car off on the day of DD's birth so we had to take it out of the car and put it into the other car. DD stayed in hospital for a week so I think that if you're fitting it yourself then just make sure it's installed before you bring the bub home.

We put Logans seat in on the weekend just gone. I have 9 weeks to go. Im super organised though, so knew it would be done early.

I think we did it about 36 weeks ... only to have to have it refitted while I was in hospital. Why? Because it was taken out so I could fit in the back on the way to the hospital to have him

Salsa - excellent point!! I'm sure I'll have to take it out when I do the drive in to hospital too

We've already had our fitted (I'm only 26 weeks. lol) We wanted to make sure it was going to fit in our car (R34 Skyline). We were thinking of taking it out and putting it back in ourselves later on now that we know how to do it.
    (Worth the effort or should we just leave it in?)

(Worth the effort or should we just leave it in?)
    i wouldnt touch it.....i can never, ever get it as firm as the installation people get it.

...and make sure you get accredited childseat fitters from the RACV, our first guy we went to wasnt and did a a worse job than we could do ourselves and charged us for the pleasure