Thread: Worried - my child seat anchor point is fixed to back of hatchback seat - problem?

Unhappy Worried - my child seat anchor point is fixed to back of hatchback seat - problem?

I just realised our 2006 Astra hatchback has the child restraint bolts on the back of the backseats which doesn't seem like a particularly good restraint point as it isn't attached to the car body (like roof, or boot floor). Because its a hatchback the backseats are designed to fold forward easily and it just doesn't seem as safe to me.

All the information I can find about car seat restraint safety is about the brand of seat used but nothing about the safety of a particular car model.

Does anyone know who I can contact to find out about the car's safety record for using this anchor point and/or how to improve the safety?

As the Astra is European built I think it has an anchor point under the back seat but I remember reading that these don't meet Australian Standards even though they are heaps safer than what our standards require.

I'm getting a bit anxious about it all!

Default Worried - my child seat anchor point is fixed to back of hatchback seat - problem?

Our astra wagon is the same, and so was our commodore wagon, and we never had a problem with either

Our old car had the anchor points on the back of the seat, when we had them professionally fitted the guy never said anything. You could call the Ambulance in your state about it (that's who fits them in Qld) or RACQ (or equivalent in your state).

I have a Holden Commodore Wagon and the anchor seat is in the same spot! Also my sis' BMW X5 has the anchors in the same spot too - wonder if it is a European thing??? I actually like it as it is fixed rather than a screw that is put in, ITMS??? We have both had seats professionally fitted and no dramas there - the guys are super fussy too!

Toyota Kluegurs have them in the same spot also. In my Vectra sedan its on the parcel shelf which seems heaps more dodgy than the back of the seat!

We have an astra wagon and it's in the same place. Allot safer I think than where they are in the mazda 3 - at the back of the boot meaning you have to undo it anytime you want to get a pram in there. And guess what one of the first things is if you're hit from behind...... yes the anchor point of the car seat.

Thanks ladies, it sounds like I may be worrying for naught. Phoenix isn't even born yet and I'm anxious for his/her safety. I spoke to a nice guy at the Road Safety Authority and he is going to get back to me if he can find out any further information. I'm an engineer by training and the whole system just didn't sit right with me but perhaps I'm missing a whole heap of factors some of which you have raised.

Off to do my Calm Birth breathing
    xx

slyder Guest

Our '06 Bommadore is exactly the same and the seats are also forward folding. I had ours professionally installed and the bloke said all was good with the general setup.

Same deal with our 08 Carolla.