Thread: Blood Test at Dr

Default Blood Test at Dr

Just curious, when you go to the Dr and ask for a blood test because you think you may be pregnant, do they always make you do a urine test first? Like if you are getting negative HPT but still want your blood tested will they do it?

I had a BT done at 12DPO. I'd got a very very faint line that morning but wanted it confirmed. My urine test came up negative at the Dr's - i was sure i had imagined the line that morning - but sure enough the results did come back positive. I was just in very early days - only 3-4weeks he reckoned (with HCG level of 58). If you want peace of mind then go in and have a chat - i'm sure they won't object. WIshing you the very best

I can remember getting a negative HPT and being over a week late so went to my GP and told him that we were TTC, was late and had a negative HPT. He sent me straight for a BT with it marked *urgent* so I could get my results the same day. But they were negative.
    The second time I went - similar thing except AF wasn't late and I got a positive! So I think it largely depends on your dr and your relationship with them. My GP knows I'm a nurse and it has to be important for me to go to the Dr so respects me a little more for that (straight from the horses mouth).
    Good luck and hope you get the right result

MG

Fire Fly Guest

With #1DD i got both a urine test done and a blood test. And this was only because i hadnt a clue i was even pg. The urine was positive and so was the blood.
    #2 DS i just got my referral, and bloods done to confirm. #3 this one, i just got a referral. He asked me if id tested, i said yes it was a strong pos, and that was that.
    My bloods will start from my firt m/w app as i have antibodies in my blood, but thats another issue.

I only went to the Drs with my first 2. With DS#1 he was happy with the HPT results & did nothing further. With DS#2 I had bloods done as I wasn't sure how far i was & wanted to be sure. But they didn't ask me to do a urine test first. With this one, I knew I was pg so just booked in to the hospital & had the routine bloods done at 12 weeks.

When I was 16 and thought I was pregnant (first sex, late period, big panic) the doctor did a blood test. I didn;t even think back then to do a HPT.

With Cait I had a urine test and I asked about a blood test and the doctor said they had the same level of accuracy and that it wasn't necessary.

with Kat, I had a BFP HPT at 21DPO and a BT that day confirmed it (was on honeymoon in Perth and a PITA to find a Dr who'd take on a client for one day type thing *L*). With Jess I was over a week late for AF But having just given birth two and a bit months before I wasn't toooo worried even tho I felt pg. I started with the M/S (afternoon sickness for me) and went for BT as all my HPT's were coming back -ve and I knew I was pg! Anyway, I got a BFP BT and still took another 4-5wks to get a BFP HPT (wanted one for my baby book).

I agree, it depends on ur Dr. Even is u get a BFN HPT at the drs, you can still demand a BT. I did that a few weeks ago when Af was a wk late and I had NFI why. I have developed a cyst on one ovary so at least I knew why. But nothing would have been done had I not asked for bloods and an U/S to try to find out what was going on!

Goodluck and I hope you get that BFP!

Thanks for your help ladies. My chart does not show any sign that i have ovulated or am pregnant so im not sure i should bother. I have dont HPT and both came back negative. Just considered it in case i had to be cautious while i am away.

I did 3 postive tests at home and then went to the Doctor and had a urine test that came back negative. Doctor then did a blood test that came back postive.