Thread: does vitex give false +ve on OPK?

bb Guest

Default does vitex give false +ve on OPK?

I've been having really long cycles since coming off the pill in January of this year. First cycle was 45 days, second was 60 days. This is my 3rd cycle, and I started taking vitex on cd1. I'm currently on cd9, and just did an OPK and got a very strong positive straight away. I know vitex assists in producing LH which then triggers ovulation, so my question is - is vitex giving me a false positive? I wasn't expecting to ovulate for another month or so? Can anyone else please offer some advice?

Thank you

Hi bb
    I found this on the web:

"How does Vitex or Chaste berry work?
    Vitex or Chaste tree berry acts on the hypothalamus and pituitary glands by increasing luteinizing hormone (LH) production and mildly inhibiting the release of follicle stimulating hormone (FSH). This results in a shift in the ratio of estrogen to progesterone, with a rise in progesterone. The ability of chaste tree berry to raise progesterone levels in the body is an indirect effect, so the herb itself is not a hormone."

My interpretation is that yes Vitex could raise the levels of LH in your body - but not sure if that means a false positive or just early ovulation?

Sorry if this is not helpful.

Hi,
    Vitex is one of the herbs that is thought to be very good at 'normalising' cycles.
    I would feel very comfortable in saying it would not cause a false positive. I take vitex and have done so whilst trying to conceive for my last 4 pregnancies and I have never received a false positive result.
    I would offer that perhaps your body is working hard to regulate the hormones in your cycle. If you don't conceive this cycle I would guess that your next cycle will be a bit more like usual.
    Vitex is often very helpful for women after coming of OC.
    I wish you bucketfuls of luck for a healthy pregnancy very soon!
    Love and baby blessings,
    Deb

bb Guest

Thanks Deb. I'm now on cd13 and have had a strong +ve result on the OPK since cd8 now... Not sure why??? The test line is MUCH darker than the control line. Does anyone know what would be causing this to happen? Cheers

Hi bb,

mmm. Some women do report having positive results for a few days. I have read antecdotal reports of this happening especially when 2 eggs were releassed and twins were conceived!

You will get a false positive often if you are using first morning urine. Are you?

Women can get false results if they are taking clomid. Are you?

Women with PCOS can get false positive results also.

Women will get a positive opk when they are pregnant also. Could this be the case? Could it be that your last AF was a light one and that it may have been implantation? If you do a HPT this will rule this one out!

There are some other quirky metabolic conditions that can give a false positive.

I am really interested and I will do some research for you. Five days of positive opk's is a bit unusual though. I would do a hpt.... :-k

Love,
    Deb

Just another quickie...
    You are defining a positive as the same colour or darker than the control line? I am sure you are, but just to clarify as it's a bit puzzling.
    Love Deb