Thread: Early testing - who does it? Is it a good idea?

Default Early testing - who does it? Is it a good idea?

What are your opinions on testing before AF is due? I am so nuts this cycle and I am considering testing around CD10. Who has tested early what are the good and bad points and what is the best test to get. Thanks for your help.

It depends when you implant, even if you are pregnant if you haven't implanted you wouldn't have produced enough HGC for the test to pick up,(even a blood test) Most women implant on day 9 but the range is from 8 - 12dpo. I implanted on the 9th day with all 3 pregnancy and got a reading on 9do, and a stronger reading at 10dpo. Everyone is different, another sign is that you usually don't get any symptoms until you have implanted although alot of people get sore boobs immediately.
    Good luck!!!

Thanks, I didn't realise implantation was that late - that may help me to hold off a little longer. I know if I get a BFN I will only test again

I asked a similar qurstion in April- the topic was
    How many DPO were you when tested and got a BFP
    Sorry, i dont know how to link it properly so you can see all the info, But just look in this thread and you will find it and see that each person varied in how early or how much later they had their BFP.

Hope that helps
    Luv Summer

Thanks for that!

I think it's fine to test early as long as you have firmly in your head like a mantra that a BFN is not really a BFN until at least when AF is due

I tested early with this one and got a BFN at 9dpo. I then got a positive at 11dpo, which was about 4 days before AF was due.

Good luck

I have always found it easier to have AF arrive then to stare at a -ve result. And like the others have said there is always the chance it is wrong. Try and hang in there, if you can but if not, pretty much dont bother until at least 10dpo.

goldilocks Guest

Hi Sarah!

I tested at 10DPO and got a BFN. I had what I thought was AF arriving at 12DPO...but it turned out to be an implantation bleed! I got a BFP at 14DPO, when AF was due.

After getting a heart-breaking early BFN, I would recommend waiting until the day AF is due. A BFN is awful, to me it's somehow worse than AF arriving.

Good luck and I hope you get a BFP very soon!

Love
    Goldilocks
    -xxxooo-

Hi Sarah,
    Your question is a good one!
    There are so many variables with when to test. As you know conception occurs within 12 hours after ovulation. It then takes time for the cluster of cells to move down your fallopian tubes and land in your uterus. It then takes time for the cells to imbed in the wall of the uterus. Once this implantation has happened your body begins to produce HCG. Implantation occurs 4-10 dpo - with 4 being on the very early end of the scale and 10 being on the very late end of the scale. Each pregnancy for each woman is different. There is no 100 per cent accurate way of knowing when each pregnancy has implanted. Even ultrasonography in the days after conception isn't 100 per cent accurage with giving a definite "implantation day". It takes about 36 hours after implantation for enough hcg to be detectable in your blood to show *positive* and 48 to 60 hours after implantation for your urine to show traces of hcg. Even the amount of hcg is variable. Each pregnancy will show wide differences in hcg levels. The variance of normal is quite vast.

Some of the early detection tests can pick up a very tiny amount of hcg. This can be a good thing. It puts us out of our tww misery early. However as up to 30 percent of pregnancies end before 6 weeks it can also show a pregnancy that doesn't make it past more than a few days. This can be very upsetting for a woman who wants very much to have a baby. However it can also give us some information that may be helpful to carry a pregnancy to term...

I have had 8 pregnancies now and 4 live babies. With my dd3 I didn't show a positive until I was a day late for my period. The others I had a positive test a couple of days before my period was due.

Just last week I got a positive hpt only to bleed on Friday. I guess that has helped me to ask some questions about my cycle so it was a good thing in many ways. However my opinion (which is only mine and we all have differing views) is don't test early. Test when your period is due. YOu will then very likely get a nice strong positive line. No squinting at the line or holding it up to fluro tubes! Conversely if you get no second line you are probably not pregnant. No guessing no sleepless nights. It's yes or no.

It is always helpful to know that the symptoms many women experience before their period is due such as breast tenderness, reflux, constipation and even nausea are most likely due to the higher level of progesterone. When our period is due most women have 50mi/u of hcg in their urine. This isn't really enough to cause huge symptoms in most women.

I so so understand the impatience and frustration of the TWW. And it is true knowing about recurrent very very early loss or "chemical pregnancies" as they are sometimes called can help identify potential problems. But for most of us waiting until our period is due can just stop a lot of the frequent testing and disappointment at seeing only one line when in fact had we waited a day or two longer there would be two! Not to mention the money saved!

I wish you all the luck in the world this month. Keep us posted...

I got a feint BFP on 11DPO. This was the day after I had expected to get AF.
    I used one of the early tests (Fortel, i think?) and tested with afternoon pee. I just couldnt wait until the next morning, lol! I also used a different brand of test (Cant remember what brand now) 2 or 3 days later and got a very dark BFP.

My January BFP was a BFN at 12dpo and then a BFP at 13dpo. Unfortunately I lost the baby at 15w4d.

The cycle after that was a chemical (April) with BFP at 10dpo, 11dpo and then BFN at 12dpo AFat 13dpo.

My May cycle was another strange one with a super long LP (16 days - unheard of for me!!) so I wonder if that wasn't perhaps a chem as well?

And my last cycle (June) was another chem. "Something but nothing" on Pregnow (ic cheapie tests) from around 9dpo, every day until 14dpo when I got a definite BFP with Pregnosis tests and then AF started at 15dpo. Another long LP for me.

I'm beginning to see that if I see anything "early", ie before about 13dpo, it won't stick. Unfortunately.

Lisa