Thread: Faint positive or evapouration line?

Default Faint positive or evapouration line?

Good afternoon everyone.

I just wanted to ask how would I know the difference between a faint positive and an evaporation line?

I have seen some of you mention that the evaporation line might look like a faint positive, so how would I know the difference? Is there a way to know, short of doing another test a few days later?

Thanks

Hi Karina,
    As a general rule a line that comes up in the TEST windw within the timeframe of the test is a positive.
    An evaporation line is a line that appears where the test line would be after the time frame for the test. Evaporation lines are greyish and not coloured. So if your test says to read the results at 5 minutes a feint line in the test window at the 5 minute mark is likely to be a feint positive. Sometimes if you test a little early and there isn't a very high amount of hcg in your urine the test will not show a prominent positve line.

However if this same test looks negative at 5 minutes and then you go back 10 minutes later and there is feint line that is greyish this line is probably an evaporation line...

If you have a query over your test it would be best to wait 48 hours and test again using first morning urine.

Goodluck

Thanks Deb.

The line came up straight away, but its quite feint though I can see it at arms length.
    I think I'll test again tomorrow with FMU as I used afternoon pee for this test.

Well, I would say it's a POSITTTIVE!!!!
    If the line came up within the timeframe but is feint it is still a line and a line means hcg was detected, it is especially promising that this all happened using afternoon urine which you would expect to be less concentrated than first morning urine. I see you are only 11dpo so things are looking good Karina.
    Let us know what your fmu test shows tomorrow. What brand did you use?

Thankyou. I used one of the Fortel ones. Its the one that says you can test 5 days before your period is due. I expected to get AF today. That was the other thing i was unsure of - I thought that maybe 11DPO would be too early? I shall be using the other test in the morning and will let you know what it tells me

Good Luck Karina ! Hope you get a really big dark BFP when you test again.

Hope it all works out!!!!!

Although don't mean to dash your hopes, Fortel are nortorious for evap lines!!! It's given me a faint evap line each time when i wasn't pregnant. (they all came up straight away too)!!!

Best of luck testing with your FMU. Praying you get your BFP. I sneaked a look at your chart and your temps are still well above your coverline.

Best of luck. Let us know.

Cheers,
    Dan.

I would say it is looking positive! Evap lines also tend to disappear after a while too. A true line will stay there for days or weeks even. Being 11dpo, that is quite early. If it's positive, you're lucky to get a second line now! I got my first bfp at 13dpo. Sending you heaps of luck and hope its a true bfp!

Karina - Same thing happened to me. I tested at 12dpo in arvo and line came up straight away, but I didn't know if it was evap. Apparently if you can see it at arms length it is a pos. Good luck tomorrow. It took 3 tests (1 on 12dpo next on 13 dpo and the last one 15dpo) to convince me I was really pg

I hope its just a feint + because its early or something. I can see the line at arms length, and the line is still there now, and its been about 8 hours since I did it. I hope thats a good thing. I'll test again in the morning, and probably get more tests tomorrow if it does the same thing. DH still hasnt seen the test even though its actually been sitting right near him all night while he has been on the computer. Blind?? I am not going to tell him just yet, because I am stiill unsure. More tests tomorrow are needed I think. I am getting obsessed with these tests!
    Kahmanya, bummer about that brand of test being notorious for evap lines. I hope I didnt get a crappy test?

Well you have probably tested by now - what is the verdict????

The way to differenciate between evap lines and a true positive is if the line has colour. An evap line is greyish and is really just the indentation of where a line would be if it were positive. I have never used fortel but that sounds a bit bodgy if they are known for their evap lines I would steer clear as that is too confusing!!!

Good luck I really hope you get a strong dark coloured bfp!

Marcia Guest

I too have had evap lines with fortel tests. First evap line came up straight away and could be seen at arms length. I then tested a couple of days later and got the exact same thing, so knew I was not pregnant as the line would be darker. Both tests stayed like this for a couple of days and did not fade (and then I chucked them). Having said this, I did get a very faint positive with a fortel test when I was preg with DS, which is why I thought the evap line was a BFP. I would say the only real way to be sure is test in a couple of days and if it is much darker then its a BFP. Anyway, I hope its a BFP for you this time!!

chris74 Guest

I had this problem when I was pregnant with my DS and I rang the manufactuerers who advised me that an evaporative line will disapear after a short time (Once it drys up) and a positive line will always stay. I still have my positive tests from nearly two years ago and they still show the second line.

Hope this helps
    Christine

OMG I am so absent minded I forgot to update..
    I went and bought more tests and used them and they all show positive. Some lines darker than others, So i have decided that it is indeed positive, and I havent got AF either, So I am taking it as a positive. The lines havent disappeared, so yay!! Since I have more tests I might use another one tomorrow morning. I want my strong dark BFP, not a pale one!
    Wooooohooooo