Thread: Faint Positive Line - Newbie needs help!

JG's Princess83 Guest

Unhappy Faint Positive Line - Newbie needs help!

Hi everyone,

Yet another newbie here! Thought I'd say hi and introduce myself first. My name is Kylie, I'm a Primary School teacher and I have no bubbies yet but ttc.
    H2b and I are getting married in October 2009 (forever i know), however we are ttc now so we can try to nip any problems in the bud while still relatively young (Always had probs with AF & possibly pcos). Here's my problem...
    As with many of those before me I'm having trouble with HPT's. Monday I got a faint positive line on my HPT - Pregnosis. Completed test again today - same brand. Faint positive again. However this afternoon negative with Foretel. No idea of O or DPO as AF VERY irregular. Went off pill September 2006 - October 2006 possible spontaneous Ab - No AF since. When should I test again? Could I be PG?

Hi and welcome.

The tests are designed to detect the presence of the hormone that is onoly in you when pregnant so if you're getting a faint line then you could be quite sure it's a positve but the concentration of the hormone in your urine is not yet strong. I think from memory it peaks at 11 weeks or something like that. A false negative is much more likely to ocur than a false positive. Try again ain a week if your period hasn't come and you should get a more accurate result.

Good luck

hello there!

in my experience, fortel is not a very reliable brand of HPTS. I have had false positives and false negatives with those many times. However if you are getting a faint second line twice on pregnosis that sounds pretty good! Maybe wait another day or so and test with first morning urine on a different brand - I found lullaby conceptions (on the internet) very good and also the discover brand - but of course everyone is different.

if you are really unsure, you could always go along for a blood test with your doctor.

best of luck!

Hi there Kylie and welcome! Good luck with the whole TTC game......you should join TTC buddies, they can be life savers at times!!

I have to say I would have said a few weeks ago I think your pregnant but just recently I know of a few girls on here who have had some difficulties with faint positives and I'm sorry to say in one case a BT was negative, even though there were faint positives. There can be lots of explanantions, chemical pregnancy being one (from what I understand the egg fertilises and then gets absorbed back into your body, don't quote me though!!).I would say while it does look good try not to get too excited just yet! Hard I know 'cos we all do!! While AF is away the mind loves to play!! I'd go to the doctor and get a BT, then you can be sure. Wishing you all the best in your TTC journey, here's hoping it's a short one!!

Kylie, different HPT's detect different Levels of pgcy hormone and so it is entirely possible that you are pg, but the -ve one wasn't sensitive enough to pick up the level you are at atm. Give it a few days and do another test (line should be darker) or go for a BT (these are MUCH more reliable, however have been wrong on occasion also due to levels being too low at the time). Some people produce heaps of HGC right from implantation, others (like myself) take longer (I never get +ve HPT's till I am min 10days late). You're cycle being irregular makes it harder for you, so a BT would be your best chance at a reliable answer and failing that, an u/s. Maybe talk to ur Dr about testing all hormones at the same time so if it does come back BFN (which I HIGHLY doubt) you may be able to tell if you approx where in ur cycle u r at... I personally think ur UTD and wish you goodluck (not that u'll need it soon to be mum!). I hope everything comes back BFP and you have a happy healthy pgcy!

Hi all, I did a test today and there is a very very faint 2nd line there. I bought the digital one. The brand is clear blue. What do u all think

JG's Princess83 Guest

Hi all
    Thank you for the advice! I wonder if i've been having myself on though! Maybe just not my time. Here is a pic of test - friend said probably evap line?? Let me know what you think

did the line come up in the 5-10 minutes the test says it should? I had a line like this yeasterday morning and today it was just a bit darker, hopefully we are both pregnant

JG's Princess83 Guest

Hi kitten2b,

The line came up almost straight away but developed between 1-5 mins. Who knows? Starting to feel a little fluttery (only way to describe it)- slight cramping. Maybe AF on the way (finally - I've been waiting almost 6 months!). See how we go next time. Hopefully your next HPT shows a BFP hun! Good Luck!

Personally I wouldn't read those as positive. If you still think you are pregnant in a week try the digital one... it leaves no doubt it will either say pregnant or not pregnant. I think I was using the same tests as you by the look of it & it got faint lines but they were not as faint as that.... when I went to the digital one I felt more confident.

satya, I used the digital one clearblue, and it said not pregnant, but when I took the test strip out there was a very faint line there, looked like it was pos. And that was in the first 5 mins, when I did the test. Goping to do another 1 on the weekend and see.

Good Luck !!!!!!!!!!!!!

rrtj2000, there is always a second line on the digital tests, even if you are not pregnant. that's how the test works - it analyses the difference between the colours of the two lines but at a microscopic level ie we cant tell the difference just by looking. i wish you the best of luck though for your test on the weekend!