Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A fake +!!!

Default A fake +!!!

Ok i used pregnoisis and got a + (twice) to find out through BT that i wasnt in fact pg. Then to find out i had no hcg levels at all, so im not m/c either!

Has anyone had a fake + before? My Dr asssumes i waited until the following day before reading it but they both came up straight away!

So i plan not to use this brand next time, but what are the chances of getting another fake + on another test?

hey naomi- i have gotten fake positives before too but on a few different brands. Unfortunately i have no advice expect when you get a positive, to get a bt for confirmation like you did!

i hope you never get a false one again

goldilocks Guest

Aww Naomi, you poor thing getting a false positive

Are you sure it wasn't a chemical pregnancy? Would that give you a BFP on an HPT and a negative BT later on? It seems odd that you would get two BFPs...

I used Pregnosis and found it excellent. I got a BFN before implantation and two BFPs after implantation. So I found it very reliable.

I'm sorry again, hon I'm sure you'll get a true BFP very soon.

Love
    Goldilocks
    -xxxooo-

Thanks for that Danni, it just sucks, we had both got our hopes up when i got the +, i wanted to tell the world and Rick wanted to wait til we did the BT (good thing we waited).
    I guess next time i get a +, i wont tell him until i get the BT result.
    I hated getting my hopes up to have them hammered back down again!

But why do fake + happen? i didnt think there was such things as a fake +, it still there i did it monday week ago!

Hey GoldieLocks, what do you mean a chemical pg? i thought it weird too, ot get 2 + and a neg BT

goldilocks Guest

Naomi,

Here's a description of a chemical pregnancy:

A very early miscarriage is sometimes referred to as a 'chemical pregnancy'. This is when the pregnancy is confirmed by a very early pregnancy test (before the next period is due or around the time it is due), but 2 - 3 days later a period starts. A urine pregnancy test will often be 'faintly' positive, but a blood test (if one is done) normally shows low HCG levels, which don't increase over time. Without testing, most women are not aware they were briefly pregnant, because there are no obvious physical signs of pregnancy and nothing can be seen on ultrasound.

This is possibly what you had. Has AF arrived?

Love
    Goldilocks
    -xxxooo-

thank you for that Goldilocks, yes AF arrived yesterday morning.
    Im guessing there is no way to know if i was! Im hoping not and that it was just a long cycle

goldilocks Guest

Well hon, if you got two BFPs before AF arrived I'd be fairly confident in saying that it was a chemical pregnancy. The fact that you got two BFPs and not just one seems to suggest that it was almost definitely a very early pregnancy.

Apparently they're very common...something like 30-40% of pregnancies happen like that and most of the time the woman doesn't even know because she didn't do an early HPT. AF arrives as per usual and she didn't even know she was pregnant!

I hope the next time you get a BFP, you have a sticky little bub!

Love
    Goldilocks
    -xxxooo-

I didnt want it to be another m/c, im praying it wasnt. I cant handle the thought if it was. But these things happen and i have to move on with things, i cant stay in the frame of mind that i may/may not have just had a m/c AGAIN.
    Im so going to now wait atleast 2 cycles before ttc again, just to make sure my body is back to normal and i've checked out whats going on with my body and stuff.
    Thankyou Goldilocks - I appreciate your replies. congratulations on your pg wishing you all the best.

Hi Naomi
    False positves are awful things.
    I have had them using Discover and I think it may have been Precise.
    One of my positives was positive for over a week also. I know I wasn't pregnant - I had a serum hcg on the same day only a few hours after the bfp. Did you get a BFP on your HPT the same day as you had your bloods taken?

It is possible that you conceived and implanted but things didn't work out. That does happen and it happens much more than we realise. The advent of early pregnancy testing has highlighted this.

However, if your hpt was positive and that day you had a serum hcg it is unlikely that you were pregnant and more likely that you had a bung test. Do you know if your doctor ordered a quantatative hcg or just a serum hcg?

Anyway, if a urine preg test was positive and a serum preg test was negative and both were done on the same day it is highly unlikely that you were pregnant.

I understand how you would be feeling. Why does this happen? I don't really understand how a preg test could be falsely positive. Had I not seen it myself I would doubt that it can happen but it does (rarely it's true), but it does... I had full refunds given to me by the company and they said they were having trouble with this very thing and there is much on the web about it.

I wish you a BFP this cycle.
    hugs to you,

Thankyou Deb for that, my hpt still showing + its been a week today, i did a bt last tuesday at 3.30pm so a day after i did the hpt. The first one was quantative BHCG and the second one, done on friday was Se B-HCG (i dont know what the 2nd means, im gathering a serum test but dont know what that is)

Hi again Naomi,
    Quantatative Hcg or QHCG is putting a figure on the level of hcg so it could be 7ml/u and that would say you were pregnant but only just. Usually a woman measures a level of about 50ml/u HCG around when she is due for AF. Qhcg will always give a measurement on the lab report so your doctor will be able to see what the levels were and show it to you. For example if you had a Qhcg of 4 it is possible that you had conceived and things didn't progress. This is commonly termed a chemical pregnancy. I don't like that term to me it sounds really cold. Basically it has been so named as the only way you would know you were pregnant is chemically - meaning through testing.

SeHcg or SHCG or BHCG are basically yes no answers. Yes it's positve or no it's negative. Most labs have a cut off of 5ml/u of hcg for pregnancy. So any lower and you are negative. Does that make sense?
    So, from what I have read you have said I am understanding you did a hpt that was positive had a Qhcg that was also negative and then another hpt that was neg and then just a straight Se hcg.
    I would feel really comfy in saying that it may have just been a bodgy test and that you should feel secure in the knowledge that you bhcg was negative.
    Don't use that brand again! I won't touch them with a barge pole now. I can remember feeling devastated at the false results I got (I wrote about it in BB in December last year).
    It is awful and I truly understand what you are going through. I hope this has helped.

goldilocks Guest

Naomi hon, please accept my sincerest apologies if I upset you...that was not my intention at all. Deb is absolutely right - chemical pregnancy is such an awful term and I'm sorry I used it. I was just trying to be helpful and I hope I didn't come across as being cold or unfeeling

TTC is such a rollercoaster of emotions and I'm so sorry if I upset you in any way.

Huge hugs, hon :hugs:

Love
    Goldilocks
    -xxxooo-

oh Goldilocks please dont feel like that, you didnt upset me (the thought did) but thats it, you have helped me, i never knew of chemical pg's before now, and you are being helpful and warm and sincere (as much as baby brain will let you LOL), you taught me a few things and showed you cared by letting me know. I appreciate that, please dont feel you have upset me, you havnt only the thought of it being true did, but im ok now!

ETA:
    Deb - you have helped me, thankyou. I realise that it prob wasnt a chemical pg, i've been under alot of stress lately so it was prob that, the reason AF was late, along with a dodgy test! Thank you for everything

goldilocks Guest

I'm so glad I didn't upset you, hon. I know how emotional the whole TTC thing can be and I couldn't live with myself if I'd upset you in any way.

LOL You're so right about baby brain...I can't believe how stupid and forgetful I can be these days!

I that you will get a BFP very soon. And I'd take Deb's advice and not use Pregnosis again if you got a false +...I can only imagine how heart-breaking it is for that to happen.

Take care hon and I'll be following your progress very closely

Love
    Goldi
    -xxxooo-

TTC is more emotional than having AF!!!! I kinda feel like i can rest when she is here!trust me im more willing to take it out on the people who are close to me rather then people who arnt (but please dont take this as a hint to stay away), so Rick is more likely to cop any damage that has happened throughout the day, but today i seem to be taking things with a pinch of salt and getting on with things, except im going to kill AF if she keeps stabbing me!! LOL

LOL @ baby brain you have only another 234 (approx) days left to go of it!

Yes i def wont be using Pregnosis again, the lady at the chemist reccomended it, guess i wont be taking her advice again either!! LOL

Now it's my turn. Goldilocks I certainly wasn't meaning YOU were cold just that the term is. I always think it kinda demeans the whole thing. Women who have confirmed a pregnancy to be told it was 'chemical' somehow sounds like we are saying it wasn't real iykwim??? I hope you understood that I wasn't aiming my comment at you but rather at the term.
    Oh goodness I hope I haven't put my cyber foot in my cyber mouth???
    hugs

goldilocks Guest

Not at all, Deb...I just realised after you said that that I may have come across the wrong way and it certainly wasn't my intention to upset anyone, just trying to be helpful.

You are a wealth of knowledge as always and I always learn new and wonderful things from your posts! Thanks for being such a great support to everyone on BB

Naomi, it's very easy to take it out on those close to us. I am very lucky to have such a supportive DH and he was always wonderful when I was down about the whole TTC thing. You're so right about TTC being more emotional than having AF!

Oh, and I used about 6 completely different HPT's when I got my first BFP because I didn't believe it! LOL Nooooo, of course I'm not obsessed... Just find one that works for you. I that your next BFP is a real one, hon.

Much love,
    Goldi
    -xxxooo-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast