Thread: Help with first OPK

Default Help with first OPK

Hi!!! I am new!!
    It's my 'first real cycle' after coming off BCP on chrismas day.
    It's CD8 and I did an OPK as I meant to O either this saturday or the next. According to FF and ticker respectively.
    So, I got a line that was about half the darkness of the control line. I have been having a niggling stabby/itchy pain in the general area of my left ovary for the better part of today. Is it possible that I have just caught the end of the LH surge and should rip hubby outta the shower or, should I just finish the other 4 I have in the pack and see?
    I'm getting my BBT either tomorrow or tuesday (stupid chemist) as I want a proper one.

Also, can anyone tell me the name of a brand of midstream OPK's? I hate peeing in a cup!!

Thanks in advance!!!

Hi and welcome!! i am a little bit of a lurker but i thought i may be able to help a little bit.. in regards to the 'darkish' line on your opk, i had that for a couple of days. when i started using mine for the first time, it took a few days for me to get to a dark line that was not quite the same colour as the control line and then the day after i had the semi-dark line which i believe u may have, i had a positive dark test line. so i would use the other 4 that you have in the pack alongside your BBT just to keep an eye on your cycle as you may not have missed it, it may actually be the 'lead up' to your surge as mine was. then again we are all diff, but to be on the safe side i woul use the other ones to make sure we dont miss that eggy i hope this helps a little bit. and as for the midstream opk's i am not too sure, i have just dealt with the grossness of peeing into a cup lol. Best of luck and Baby Dust to you x x x

Thanks!!
    The reason I hate it is because it says to 'limit fluid intake for 2 hours before test' so, because I travel home on a train for an hour and a half I do it as soon as I get home.
    However, that means I haven't peed for almost 2 hours so I have to go bad....
    Thanks for all the info!! I did another yesterday and it was just a smigde darker so we will see what today brings!!!.

just checking in to see how u got on with the opk? did the line get any darker? i always just sip on water here or there in the two hour period before i test so i'm not dying of thirst but im also not busting to pee. i think if u drink a lot like half hour before testing than thats when ur pee can be really diluted... anyways i hope u got a positive surge and nearly on ur way to the 2WW. my fingers are crossed for u x x x

It's got a touch darker. Not much. I'm doing the last one tonight but I have a new box of them to keep going with.
    Lets see!!

That's the spirit! have u been temping as well? i have not yet done this but i hear a lot of mums and mums-to-be talking about temping as well as using opk's so maybe that's worth a try too if u really want to monitor ur cycle.
    Good Luck

I think you can get mid-stream opk's on the internet from Lullaby Conceptions, just google it!

Darker again..Yay!!
    But, the last two days I have had temps of 37 and 37.01.
    I put the BBT in a glass of softdrink last night and it told me that was 37 too.
    Is my BBT borked and shold I throw it at someone or is it just because it's hot?

I think 37 is high anyway but....
    Oh, and I have EWCM like no tomorrow. I am so confused. Which one to I go by and should I get a new BBT?

hmm....yes I think the BBT has a problem! I'd get a new one! The ewcm is a good sign! Should be very soon! Just keep DTD!

ARG!! It is faulty!!!
    I bought it at some random place and I can't get back there to return it.
    I have also tried googling for a customer service area but can't find anything.
    It's a surgipack digital. Crap.

BBT's are very specific, and I didn't think they actually go below a certain temperature range (30-something).

As for the temps... If you started temping mid-cycle you won't have a pattern to go by - its not the individual temps that indicate ovulation, its a pattern... you wouldn't be able to know if 37 is a baseline temp for you, or if it has risen (indicating ovulation).

Unless of course you have been temping... I just can't see a link to your chart... and 37 is high for you... is 37 high? Because that might mean you have already O'd.

These are my charts... (If it comes out in F I'm sorry I can't work out how to get it back to C!!!!!)
    Fertility Friend OnLine Chart Gallery

ETA: I just put my BBT in a glass of cold water and it chucked a psycho at me, beeping and nothing registered... I would definately say it is just that the BBTs are calibrated to only measure between two points.
    Last edited by Indadhanu; January 30th, 2008 at 08:37 AM.

thanks!!
    I'll keep trying at it for a little while longer. I have started midcycle but it's just that everything and everyone is 37.

Flat temps aren't unusual (i got them ALL the time!) so I wouldn't worry. They are actually pretty good as it shows that your hormones that control/influence the temps are stable, and not erratic. Thats what my FS said.

I do know where you are coming from though, I freaked out the first time I got flat temps, and took my temp like 4 times to see if it would change!

Where are you temping (if thats not too personal!). I temped vaginally, and flat temps are more common that way because there is less external interference (like mouth breathing and talking can change temps when taking temps orally) so temps are more reliable.

EDIT: If you do a test and temp vaginally and either orally or under your arm, and compare the temps. Vaginal temps will be higher than orally or under the arm, so if they are both 37 I would be sus about the thermometer.
    Last edited by Indadhanu; January 30th, 2008 at 09:33 AM.

Orally but thinking of doing vag for a few days to see if there is any change.
    I think I am just too eager for something to happen.

Thanks guys for all the advice.