Thread: How long before read result (OPK)?

Default How long before read result (OPK)?

Hi
    I was wondering how long do you leave an OPK before reading the result. If I leave mine for about 10mins they stop changing colour - is this too long?

Thanks.

Each brand gives it's own time frame, I think most are 5 or 10 minutes. You'll need to check the info that came with yours. Which brand did you use? This month I found that the + results took about seven minutes to come up for me, whereas usually they come up inside of a minute. Still, a + is a +!

Tess...

I think as a general rule it's 5 minutes, but I'm sure a minute or two either way won't hurt.

Celsie. xoxox

Thanks Sezjm
    I am using lullaby conceptions (Ovunow) brand - but did not get a info sheet with them. Tonight after 10mins the second line was about 50% the darkness of the control. That is the darkest I have ever had so hoping that is a good sign.

Thanks Cellsie - I will check after 5mins tomorrow and see what happens. I am still trying to work them out and i have been using them for a while now.
    ANnyway thanks for your help.

Tess, I also use the Lullaby Conceptions ones, the instructions are "Read results between 5 to 10 mins. Positive results may appear as early as one minute depending on the concentration of LH in urine sample but wait for 10 mins to confirm results."

It also says that a true positive is when the test line is as dark as, or darker than, the control line. Therefore, a line lighter than the control line is neg. Hopefully Jodie (from Lullaby Conceptions) is floating around and can help you out with this one. Shes' a great help!

I have the Ovunow sheet here.

It says... Wait 5 minutes and read results, any results obtained after 10 minutes should be considered invalid.

Good luck!!!

Celsie. xoxox

Thanks again guys - that helps a lot. I will wait 5mins before looking and then throw away at 10mins.

I was assuming this one was a negative but hoped it was going to get darker as I was getting closer to the surge? Maybe I am getting this all wrong.

Cheers.

Nah you're not getting it wrong. You're so close and perhaps if you test again at around 9-10pm you will get a true positive. If not I would test in the am at around 10am. I feel sure you will see a true positive then.
    I would do the wild thing tonight though!
    Good luck!

Thanks Ladies - we DTD last night and this morning so if I am ovulating or getting close there are plenty of little fella's around to catch that egg.

I will test again this morning and see what happens - I am beginning to think I might be one of those ladies who never see an +ve OPK (or HPT)

Still I will keep on with this charting this cycle and might give it a rest next cycle as it is way too stressful.

Thanks again for your help.

Tess, did you do another test or two today? Don't despair, if you are one of us that has a hard time getting a true positive then you may need to test more frequently (I do!).
    To check weather you have ovulated you could go to your gp and get a cd21progesterone level done. This is a blood test and it will confirm ovulation. Progesterone levels peak 5-7 days (or thereabouts) prior to when your next period is due.

Hiya
    I did another one this morning 10am and it was a very faint line after 5mins. Just did another one (but just had a cup of tea too) and the faint line came up after about 1min. Now it is 5mins later and the line is about 50% as dark as the control line - they are getting quicker to show up so I am going to make sure DH sees some BDing action tonight.

I am going on holiday at the end of this week and will be away on CD21 but thanks for the suggestion, I will remember that for next cycle (if necessary ). Ooh I am feeling more positive about my cycle now - thanks heaps for your advice, it really helps put my mind at ease.

BD away Tess! Good luck with the TTW. I'll be looking out for your !

Hi Tess,

Just read your post - i think i'm a little late. My apologies if you didn't receive any instructions with your order. If this ever happens again please please please contact me and i will send a set straight out to you. We also have the instructions available on the website (a link under the product). If you send me an email i can email a copy over to you right away.

Also you mention that they were the ovunow brand. We do not supply the ovunow brand our tests are made by a completely different manufacturer so the instructions for the ovunow brand test wouldn't be the same as our tests.

With the Lullaby Conceptions OPKs you can read the results at 5mins but we advise not to read it after 5mins.

What cycle day are you on now?

Hi Jodie
    Many thanks for your email - I bought mine ages ago and have had really long cycles so have not had a chance to use them until recently. However I will only read the results at 5mins then discard them.

I think I am going to be one of those people who never see a true +ve. Still thanks again - I am on CD18 and my temps are not showing anything like a rise so I don't think I have O'ed yet. I have a feeling this is going to be a very long cycle again!! Good job I have about 70 OPKs left

Hi Tess,

Seeing as you haven't had the temp rise yet, it is still possible that you may receive a positive result. so don't give up just yet, I was day 53 of my cycle when i ovulated and conceived my son.

Good luck~ I hope that you receive that ++++ opk soon so you can start the 2WWing