Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HPTs - how early should I test?

Default HPTs - how early should I test?

I just wondered how many people test early. And thought we could get a bit of a tally going to see if it's really worth it.....

Do you test before your period is due?

Do you test before the HPT says you should?

Are you a serial tester?
    ie do you do one very month? and do them repeatedly?

When TTC (for 26months) I think I did 4 tests over that time, all after AF was due, well almost The month I conceived I was convinced I was pregnant, did the HPT at 10DPO, before AF was due, but after the HPT said I could & it was BFN. Then 3 days later on the day AF was due I got a positive HPT

Last month i tested twice, once before AF was due, once after. Both BFN

Month before i tested 3 times, 2 before AF was due, 1 after. BFP on the last test but had a chemical preg.

Month before that i tested 7 times. 2 before AF was due, 5 after. 4-5 BFPs(cant remember which) but only faint but went on to m/c

This month ive told DF not to let me buy a HPT until well after AF is due, if she doesnt arrive of course. I figure i wont get the disappointment again and just think she's very late if i got another BFP early on and something happened.

Kirsty77 Guest

Years ago when we first were ttc I always tested before AF was due.Now I know not to test until AF is late.Its really hard to hold out but I hate looking at a HPT thats got a BFN on it!I was never obsessive about it though.I'd only do like 2 tests maybe a month. This month AF is late)or out of whack from pregnancy)and I only did the one test, so I think I'm getting better!

When I first started TTCing, I used to test from about CD30 onwards (using Fortel Ultra), and repeating it every couple of days (which is a LOT of HPT when you have 80 days cycles LOL).

With my most recent cycle, I couldn't bear the thought of seeing another BFN, so I didn't do any HPT at all. Getting AF seemed less disappointing that seeing yet another single line. I actually had thoughts of waiting until AF was a few weeks late, then going straight for a blood test, so that I wouldn't have to see another BFN.

I totally agree with Cherie. The first 2 months of TTC I used heaps of tests (all BPN). Now I won't test until I feel pregnant or well after AF is due as (as Cherie said) getting AF doesn't seem as disappointing if you have not tested.

To be honest I have seen so many BFN that when I POAS and it happens I don't feel disappointed, I expect it.

I think if I ever do get that strong second line I may go into shock & fall to the floor and suffer a heartattack!!!

Because I have been on the TTC rollercoaster for a long time, I have had to get my head around buying too many HPT. It can be an addiction, we should start a section in here where we can come in and say "I'm lil_chookie and I'm a POAS-a-holic, I haven't POAS for 2 weeks".

Some months are good, some are not. Lately if I feel the urge to POAS I will reward myself with a new top or something if I am able to hold out and not do it!!!

PMSL @ POAS-a-holic :smt081

I know what you mean about going into shock if you ever saw a second line. I haven't been TTC for as long as you have, and I still don't think I'd believe what I was seeing.

Janie Guest

Have been TTC for 4 months and have only tested once before AF was due. This was because it was NYE and I wanted to have a drink!. I don't think that really counts though does it!

No, I tested 1 day before AF was due and that was within the time frame. Next time I'm waiting until I'm definately late.

Are you a serial tester? ie do you do one very month? and do them repeatedly?

No, in 4 months that was my first time.

Thanks for the post Sarah - it is really interesting to read.

*TamaraP* Guest

All but one month and that was the one just gone, and I have beeing trying for 7 months

No, I normally wait 10DPO before testing.

Are you a serial tester?

I used to be, this month I am definately not testing whatever.

I have tested the day AF was due 3 times, all negative. I have had 2 postives, and they were both well late. The first was when we got back from holiday, I think I was nearly 6 weeks pg at the time, and the other time I tested 5 days late and was pg too.
    I can't afford to be a serial tester!! Its also easier for me cause I have a pretty good 28 days cycle, so if I'm late, there is more than likely a reason...... Why waste money when your body will tell you soon enough!

Fi

mards Guest

We have been trying for 2 months and in this time I have done a total of 5 tests

Yes I have every time

Once, the other times I have waited

Are you a serial tester?

I would probably fall into this category

Do you test before your period is due? LOL Yeah, like Shannon I haven't had AF back since and have still tested! And when we were TTC I must have gone through hundreds of HPTs, testing almost every cycle! I think I once bought about half a dozen packs of HPTs at the one time LOL.

Do you test before the HPT says you should? No, I just get HPTs that say you can test ridiculously early, like a week before AF is due LOL.

Are you a serial tester? Yup, I think I'd qualify!

Do You Test Before Your Period Is Due
    For all the times I have used a HPT (which isn't many thankfully) Yes I have tested prior to AF arriving (during TTC times anyway). I have tested twice after AF is due, thinking we may have had an accident 10yrs ago, but both those times were of course a BFN

Do you Test Before the HPT says you should
    Nope I don't think I did. I always got the ones that say they can pick up HCG three days prior to AF's arrival so I stick to that

Are you a serial tester
    No not really. During TTC if I got a BFN I would chuck it in the bin and wait for AF to arrive. I woudn't test again the next day or whatever.

Love

Default HPTs - how early should I test?

Yes, as I believed what the HPT box said!

No.

Are you a serial tester?
    ie do you do one very month? and do them repeatedly?

I only started TTC last month, and can already say I am probably well-suited to that category (I'm sure I've POAS around 7-8 times already!!)

I am 19DPO and still BFN (but with PLENTY of PG symptoms).

Do you think we're being conned by the HPT companies into buying HPTs much sooner than we should be? I know many women get a BFP early, but they are the minority, according to the research. It's certainly something to think about!

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

I did when I first started TTC 4 years ago, but after a year of it, started waiting until AF was overdue, which wasn't very often.

Once I started IVF, I went back to always testing prior to my BT. Mind you, the time I actually was pg, I used an early detection HPT 2 days prior to my BT and it was most definitely -ve!

yes, once as early as 6dpo (what was I thinking?)

Are you a serial tester?

I have most certainly done my part to keep the various HPT manufacturers in business. I reckon I've gone through hundreds upon hundreds since starting to TTC in 2001.

love
    sushee

kirsty Guest

I try to test either the day AF is due or after she is due.

I've never tested before the HPT says ~ I figure if that is when they say they can pick it up then I'll stick with that.

Our TTC journies have been long & varied & there are times that I'm sure DH would describe me as a serial tester!! When we were ttc for so long I found myself testing in the hopes that just maybe we had finally struck it lucky.

I've only tested once and that was 2 days after AF was due and it came back BFP! So no, I am not a serial tester.

suze375 Guest

This is my 4th cycle TTC and I have not done a test yet (although I have been soooo tempted this month!)

No, I am due tomorrow. i think if AF hasn't arrived by Mon then I will test (says she - I bet I'll be peeing on a stick before you can shake it at me!!)

Are you a serial tester? ie do you do one very month? and do them repeatedly?

Nope!

xx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast