Thread: Information on OPKs

Sherm Guest

Default Information on OPKs

Hi everyone, we have just started trying again after a m/c, and want to make sure that we get our timing right (as much as possible!).

I am going to start temping, and checking CM etc, but I also wanted to try using OPKs. Don't know much about them, so was looking some advise on how they work (do they work?), which ones to buy and best place to buy them (ie e-bay etc?).

Thanks a lot.

Sherm XX

Sorry there might be a previous post along similar lines, but I couldn't find it. Apologies.

looloo Guest

I bought my opk from the supermarket for about $20. You get five tests in a pack. They have instructions in the box which tells you how to work out when to use them. You start testing about 3 days before you ovulate so you don't miss the rise in LH which is the hormone which makes the ovary release an egg. The kit tests for this hormone. Sometimes you need to test for longer than 5 days and sometimes you may not ovulate in a cycle so it can be expensive. Hope this helps a bit

hi sherm,

I bought my OPK's off Ebay for $8.95 for 20, i used them last month and have just started to use them again this cycle, last month they were spot on when i O'd, they gave me a positive right at the time that i had EWCM and a dip in temp!

goodluck

shellstar76

Aquariangypsii Guest

Hi,

I buy my OPK & HPT's from Lullaby Conceptions. They have combination packs and good prices. They also come with instructions.

Melinda Guest

Sherm,

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Feel free to join us in the Trying to Conceive after Miscarriage or Loss forum if you like.

You may like to check out this article - Charting your Cycle for Conception which discusses cervical position, cervical mucus and also OPK's.

Can also recommend Lullaby Conceptions (my DH's cousin runs it) - not that I am biased! When you are going through a lot of lot of tests (both OPK and PG) buying in bulk is a lot cheaper!

Saffi

Hi Sherm,

I have got some (well, lots but you can go through a few the first cycle trying to figure out when you're O-ing) left over that you can have if you like.
    They're all in date (don't expire til '07) and are the 'Downunder' brand.

I found they worked well, the line never really got to the *really* dark colour they say it should, but we still conceived that month so I'm pretty sure that was they day *LOL*

Email me if you want them and I'll send them to you.

Sherm Guest

Hi everyone, thanks a lot for all the info and advice on OPKs, really helped. Its obviously the way to go along with all the other ways.

Rachel, thank you so much for the offer, and if you are sure, will take up your offer. I will email you seperately.

Thanks again. Have a great weekend everyone.

Sherm