Thread: Maybe Baby or OPK??

Default Maybe Baby or OPK??

Hi girls,
    Hoping some of you tester's can help me. I am trying to concieve with crazy cycles so have decided to try and work out when I am ovulating. Can anyone offer any advice on which is better or more reliable the Maybe Baby thingy or just the packet OPK's that you pee on??
    Many thanks

Hi Bailey99,

Sorry, I can't say what the go is with Maybe Baby as I have never looked into it. I have always used the OPK's of Ebay which are quite cheap and you get a lot more for your money. Have always had no problems with them at all always getting a positive result. Can't say that they work for everyone, but I have had success. Just as long as you don't use morning urine. It is different than doing a HPT. The best time of day I found was to do it between 12noon and 8pm. Anytime between then just as long as you do it the same time very day. Hope I have helped some. As I said, they don't work for everyone, this just the advice and experience that I have had with them personally.

Good luck!!

Hi

I've used Maybe Baby the last couple of mths and it worked ok. This mth it didnt show me any ferns so I didnt know if I O'd (i had a thread: Conception General Discussion & TTC Buddies - Maybe baby Strange Things). It was very frustrating and confusing. So I've gotten some OPKs to use to be sure. Im also keeping track of mucus.
    My friend used it and got pg the second mth.
    Judging from the posts in a lot of the threads it works for some and not others. I've also been told it takes a few mths to understand your cycle and maybe baby..

Hi,

I have only every tried maybe baby, and I have to say, I don't think it worked too well for me. I am using it to chart cycles (not for TTC yet) and according to it I do not ovulate and I never even get a clear formation of the rock pattern. But I had an OB tell me they are VERY accurate, so perhpas my body really is just going crazy the past 6 months? Hope not.

Good luck

I've been using a MB for the last few months & still haven't had any full ferns even though I got a positive on an OPK this month.....

Thanks to everyone for all of your input. Seems that it will work for some and not others. I think I may get both, as with the way my cycles are carrying on, I need all the help I can get
    Thanks again

I have just started to use the maybe baby and should be coming up to ovulation any day now. will keep you posted as to what kind of fern action i have. Also the MB is good cause you can re use, and i found with the OPK's if you started testing on day 9 sometimes, you ran out of sticks before o'ing.
    Any who, as far as regular cycles go, have you tried accupuncture to assist with regularity.
    I have started with excellent results, and have had other girls say the same.
    Just a thought!
    Mrs G

Thanks for the advice on the acupuncture Mrs G. Thats interesting. I am actually in the 2ww at the moment, so if AF comes ( please don't) I might look into that for next cycle. Good Luck to you!

I found the maybe baby pretty useless, it never showed ferning for me even though opk's and cd21 blood tests confirmed I was ovulating. I was following the instructions to the letter and still got nothing. I borrowed it off my friend because she wasn't using it, it didn't work for her either.

I'd stick with the opk's - you can get them cheap from Lullaby Conceptions in packs of 20 etc.

I also found maybe baby pretty useless and unreliable, but the opk's from ebay were cheap, easy to use and very reliable!

I'm working with crazy cycles too. I started out using the MB. Had transitional ferns CD12-CD13 and then full ferns on CD14 (I was naturally pretty exited - seemed textbook) but then no temp shift and no AF. So obviously no O. I read a couple of medical research articles on saliva ferning and some of the most recent research indicates that they are certainly not totally reliable and saliva ferning can be caused by not only oestrogen surge but also dietary components. The oestrogen surge certainly does not guarantee ovulation.

I now use OPKs and confirm O with temp charting. It seems far more reliable to me. The OPKs detect LH which surges right before you O (and only then) and the MB works on an oestrogen surge which can happen multiple times during a cycle and may or may not be related to O. I use "Ovunow" OPKs - seem to work really well (and cheap).

All the best
    Last edited by principessa76; May 19th, 2007 at 03:27 PM.

Yep, the MB sucks! did not show any ferning at all and i am on CD19. I have a 28 day cycle and think that i ovulate each month. Anywho, have been doing lots of dancing to ensure that i get my fill, and like i said to DH, if i don't know when the time is right, we just have to ensure that we do not miss by having lots of loving. Yay!
    Feeling a little sore in the BB's so hopefully i will be getting BFP in 10 days time..... if i can hang out till then to test!
    Cheers
    Mrs G

I use MB opk's and temping all together. Personally the MB is probably a waste of money as it doesnt work for everyone. I find a thick layer of saliva is needed and about 20-30min drying time - which is not how they say to use it. When i start to get partial ferning i do opk's (lullaby Conceptions are great and cheap) and monitor my chart. Start by buying a digital basal thermometer and join fertility friend.
    Good luck

Over the weekend i went back to the chemist that i bought the MB from and tried to return it. The chemist took my details and said that they have only had good reports and would call the company to see what the return policy was.
    Anyway, I got a phone call this afternoon, and although the lovely chaps at mb just think that i was doing it all wrong, they decided that they would give me my money back.
    I reckon that if you are dissatisfied with the product, and when ttc there is so much riding on it, then you should be able to get your money back. So now i have $70 to spend on HPT's and if there is not a BFP this month (everything is crossed that i get one of those) then i will invest in a basal thermometer.
    Mrs G