Thread: OPK + = Pregnant??

Kirsty L Guest

Exclamation OPK + = Pregnant??

Help - I need some advice!!

I am around 12 DPO and am pretty sure I experienced implantation bleeding about four days ago (am still getting very tiny amount of reddish brown CM), but I did an ultra sensitive Fortel HPT this morning and it come back a BFN. However, I also did a OPK and it come back ++. Not as dark as the control line but a definite line. I also have had sore BB's for the past week and have been feeling nausea's for the past couple of days and experiencing strange cramps.

Do you think that I should just wait a couple of days and repeat another ultra sensitive test - do you think it is safe to say that I may have a little person forming? Talk about anxious!

Let me know your thoughts?

I would test again in a couple of days. I have a feeling that for an OPK to register a + it has to be as dark as the control line or darker and shouldn't necessarily be taken as gospel anyway. As far as the lines on your OPK's are concerned, I've been testing every day since CD1 with Lullaby Conceptions OPKs and I have had a definite line EVERY day no matter what time I test, including just now and I'm only 5dpo.

Lisa

I used opk on day 6 of cycle as my opk kit sugested. I poas for 3 days and thought ..oh great so now I am going to ovulate ealry this cycle. becasue I was having faint lines so early I had ovulated and bd on the 7th of August had what I thought was AF on the 17 for 3 days then got line on opk at what I thought would be cycle day 6 turns out for me it was actually a + pregnancy.I would not have thought about poas only I had seen on a nother site how some poeple had used the opk for a test. Only then did I use a hpt. I hope for you it is a bfp and that you can tests again soon if you can wait that long.

I have no idea on using an OPK as a HPT, but I think I'd try testing with one of those sensitive HPTs in a couple days. Hope its a BFP!!

Kirsty L Guest

Thanks for your help guys. I use OPK's every month, and only ever get a very prominant line when I am about to ovulate. That is why I thought maybe there could be a chance I could be pregnant as there were definite lines present today when I tested and I have read somewhere on this forum that some women have used OPK's in the past.

I have also been monitoring my BBT's and they suggest that I had an implantation dip the day before I started to have what I think is implantation bleeding. I guess I will just try again in the next day or two - if I can wait so long....... Seems like an eternity doesn't it??

I definitely think you should test agin in a couple of days, but I just wanted to let you know that when I fell pg I didn't get any implantation bleeding, but I did get a faintish line on an OPK about 10 DPO, which really tipped me off to the fact that I might be pg! I tested with HPTs from 11DPO but didn't get a + until 14 DPO, and it wasn't a really dark + until 15 DPO! It's all sounding very good for you, fingers crossed. Good luck, and let us know how you go!

Kirsty L Guest

Thanks Guys - you put my mind at ease. I just gotta relax a little and take each day as it comes! Fingers crossed for a BFP!!

Best of Luck when you test again and fingers crossed the AF witch stays away.

Hi kirsty,
    I hope this is your month! OPK's detect hcg as well as LH and it has been my experience that they detect it before hpts. However, this is dependent on your body.
    A great deal of women will only get a prominent opk line around ovulation and if you are one of those and you have a prominent line now then it is likely that your opk is detecting hcg. As was Sezjm's experience the line doesn't have to be darker than the control - in the early stages an opk will show a second line that gradually over a few days gets darker. However, remember that only a pregnancy test can give you a definitive yes or no. Did you test this morning?
    I hope this is your month!

Hmmm....if that is the case then I have been either ovulating or pregnant for my entire cycle! I have literally NOT had an OPK without a second line on it ranging from very light but still completely obvious in all lights at arms' length to the kind of second line you'd be happy to see on a HPT. And I'm patently NOT pregnant and at 6dpo as I am now, I'd be incredibly surprised if my gradually darkening OPKs were anything other than the fact that you have LH in your system at all stages of your cycle.

Peeonastick.com has some interesting things to say about this.

Lisa

Lisa,
    You would seem to be one of those women who always have a second line on your opk's. That would make it more difficult to use an opk as a guess to pregnancy - as it only really is a help to those of us who only get a second line around ovulation. For those of us that only get a second line around ovulation to suddenly see a second line again around 9dpo is a definite curiosity inducer!

Even though we all have LH in our bodies always, for many of us it only gets to a level to give a second line on our opk's around ovulation time. (or in pregnancy)
    My last 5 pregnancies have been indicated by second lines on opk's. Remember though like Sezjm I don't get a second line unless I am ovulating - at all! I get a second line on opk around 8dpo and slowly it gets darker. A couple of days of darkening lines and I test with a hpt and I have been fortunate to be pregnant. We will all have different stories and experiences - that's what makes Belly Belly so interesting and diverse!

However, even then as I said you can't use opk as a definite diagnosis for pregnancy. Only a hpt can remove all doubt!

Actually, that is what makes this whole OPK thing interesting. Until this cycle using Lullaby Conception OPK's, I'd NEVER seen a second line on an OPK. Not a single one and never at ANY stage of my cycle, including early pregnancy. Now, I can't POAS and NOT see one.

Still, it doesn't really matter anyway. I won't be using them again after this cycle and I only have a couple more months in which to ttc anyway and doubt that I will be temping or charting after this cycle as well.

Lisa

There could be a few reasons why that is happening.
    I have found Lullaby opk's fabulous and they taught me a lot about my body. Just like hpts opk's come in differing strengths - I have used some brands where I only ever got the feintest of second lines. With Lullaby, I registered a firm positive, but it took some time to get it right. I am someone who doesn't get a positive without testing a few times a day. Maybe you are similar?

Perhaps your body has an increase in LH which can happen for varying reasons - it may be worth having some hormone profiles done if you haven't already.

It sounds like you have made a decision not to use opk's anymore. I wish you luck on your ttc journey

I have already had hormone profiles done. Not that it matters now because my ttc journey is essentially all but over. I won't be using OPK's any more just as I won't be temping. It is all just too hard now. This is my last 2ww.

Oh and my ++++ OPKs were both at 10am on two consecutive days. And my OPK's are STILL showing a second line which is getting darker. I'm still POAS because I was asked to test these OPKs right through my cycle.

Lisa

Have you any news Kirsty???

12bliss Guest

I am one of them unlucky girls who always has a second line on my OP test BUT today i did one (8DPO) and the line was quite dark (almost as dark and when near OVulation) i have been doing preg tests on a daily basis but stil BFN's hopefully the OPT is a sign.... i have had the same AF symptoms coming but a little different. like sore bb's but not swollen sore (as normally are around AF) more like sore up the top and sides when i touch them. and the AF pains are more duller, and i havent had the swollen ankles yet (that i normally get with AF)... fingers crossed for all of you as well as meeeeee

I have just peed on both an OPK and a HPT. The HPT was a BFN. The OPK surprised me. I've gone from faint, barely there lines to a line which is half (the side away from the control line) pretty much as dark as control and half medium (side closest to control).

Still don't for one minute think that I'm pg but interesting nonetheless. Maybe Baby has gone back to pebbles and dots with not a skerrick of ferning.

Lisa

12Bliss and Lisa - interesting stuff going on there - let us know if there's any or AF news soon!