Thread: OPK and despair

Default OPK and despair

Well I am despairing of ever getting a positive OPK. Last cycle I wasted money on 3 packs of them, that's 15 days of testing, and I O'd and it didn't pick it up.

This cycle, I have been fertile as far as I can tell for 3 or 4 days, have had 4 OPKs and nothing yet. Today will be my last one, and I suspect I may have O'd last night (less CM today, and I think my cervix has turned).

Anyone else had this experience? I test at 3pm everyday.

Hi

What time of day are you doing them. Is it the same time every day?
    Tanya

I do them at 3pm every day
    (this cycle. Last cycle I did them at 4pm every day)

Ok, that's good Was there any change in the opks last cycle? did the lines get slightly darker?

Some women don't get a ++ but count the darkest OPK they get as a ++
    Tanya

OK maybe I am one of those women - I did get a slightly darker one last cycle which would have been just before I O'd, and looking at the 5 for this cycle, all are very faint except yesterday's. So you think I should count the slightly darker ones as positives, even though they arent't as dark?

Smile opk problems

Hi Sally,
    I am never able to get a true positve opk.
    I get a darker 2nd line but never quite as dark as the 1st line. A friend who just got a positive HPT the other day is in the same boat, she only got a faint 2nd line mid cycle and voula! Dont let it stress you out and worry about weather or not you are ovulating. The first month I thought that I may not be ovulating but it wasnt the case. I know that I do ovulate but opk's are just a bit slack at finding the surge.

I usually test once a day 2pm after not drinking any H2o for at least two hours from cd10 then as I get closer to midcycle and have other signs ie, EWMC I start to test at least 2-3 a day, FMU, 2pm and 8pm. I think you might find that if you get some affordable opks (ie lullaby) test a lot mid cycle even using first morning urine then it will help you to know your pattern. Then you'll feel more confident in following months (if you need them that is) you can know when you are likely to get a positive and use fewer opks to get it.
    I go by the darkest day.
    I know the manufacturers say the 2nd line must be darker than the control but I am not alone in believing that they might be wrong.

Hope that helps, sassba

I don't think I'll bother with them again - I don't really need them, I do well enough checking my other signs, without OPKs to make me doubt them.

Smile yep

Hi Sally,
    It took me a while to look at this thread again. I think thats good thinking. Trust your body and other signs. I used to do that but became very focussed on OPK results for a while.
    I am kinda over them too! They are awful in the first two weeks of your cycle when you are just trying to get a positive instead of relaxing and enjoying the journey (hate using that term, way too oprah, not that I watch it mind you) but then they can be reassuring in the ttw when you are looking for clues from your body, counting back days to figure out how many dpo you are etc.
    I think that for me they just add to the anxiety that is already there when ttc. I am having a month off ttc now anyway and I think I wont use them again.
    Good luck, your chart looks very promising!
    sassba

I've read that those tests don't work well for some women. I've also read that getting a line does not mean that you have ovulated just that the hormone they are designed to detect is present. Have you tried temping? At least it's cheap you only need a thermometer & you can track your cycle on FF if you are not already doing so.

goldilocks Guest

Hi Sally,

I used to use OPK's at around 10-11am, making sure that I wasn't using FMU (as that can give a false ++ apparently). I would never get a ++ if I did them in the afternoon, but funnily enough it always worked in the morning! Perhaps you could try that?

Wishing you a BFP very soon

Love
    Belle
    -xxxooo-