Thread: OPK False positive?

Default OPK False positive?

Hi, does anyone know if you can get a false + on an OPK? Or if it's poss to O twice in a cycle? I was certain that I Od last wed-thurs (+OPKs, severe O pain, EWCM) but I had a faint + on an OPK on tues night, some mild pain on RHS (last week it was LHS) and some EWCM. What does this mean?

Hi, you can ovulate twice in a cycle but not a week apart. When you ovulate the progesterone levels increase and this stops ovulation occuring - this rise begins immediately after ovulation and is thought to hinder further ovulation within a maximum of 36 hours.

When you say a feint positive do you mean a feint second line or a line a bit lighter than a positive? (sorry if too many questions..)
    There are a few reasons you could be getting a strong second line.

Idea # 1: Remember that a positive opk means that an lh surge is occuring. It doesn't guarantee that the follicle will release its egg. So, it's possible your body was 'gearing up' to ovulate but didn't for some reason and has decided to do it now...

Idea #2! You could be pregnant. OPK's will detect hcg and many women will get a second line that gradually gets darker that heralds a positive HPT.

Idea #3 You could just be registering some extra LH hormone that is always floating around. If you did your test on a concentrated sample of urine you could get a darker than normal result.

Do any of these scenarios seem like they fit for you?

I really hope this is your month...

Thanks for your advice Deb. We are not ttc at the moment as we were asked to wait for two cycles after my mc and d&c (and I don't feel ready yet anyway). So no chance I'm pg (by the way, that was a tip-off for me when I WAS pg - I got a +OPK about 7 days DPO!).

I didn't realise that LH is always lurking around, as the test line was quite faint, that probably is my explanation.

BTW, given my symptoms, do you think I really Od last week, or just geared up for it and Od this week? I have a strong feeling it was last week, although my temps didn't indicate that. I had really strong O pains, EWCM and + OPK. Mind you, I never get a very dark line on an OPK, but if it fits with other symptoms I will class it as +. This week the pain was more a mild niggle, lots of CM, but it was more creamy. What should your CM do after O?

Sorry if all that is too much and too confusing........

Although we are not ttc, I really want to know what my cycle is doing, so I'm not stressing about where af is etc. I'm on cd 29 ATM, and not expecting af until about cd 37. Hopefully we''l be ready and raring to go come October!

Thank you sooooo much!