Thread: OPK results after ovulation

Question OPK results after ovulation

This is the first month I've used OPKs & I'm not too sure what's supposed to happen. FF has given me a CL but I don't agree so have continued testing. The Maybe Baby is showing partial ferns & my OPKs (yesterday & today) are showing super faint lines.

Does this mean ovulation is still on the way?

OR

After ovulation does the OPK line slowly fade away (same as the way the it builds up before O)?

mooshie Guest

sarah

the line does fade away after ovulation, well they do for me. usually with opk's i find that i will start off around cd10 and have just one line, then over the next few days a 2nd line starts to feintly appear getting darker - i usually get a true dark dark 2nd line for 2 days then it starts to fade again. i have even used them to test towards the end of the tww (thinking it may give me a pos) and there seems to be a feint second line most of the time.

Default mysterious opk's

Hi sarah,

I've been using opk's on and off for 8 months. I've never ever been confident that I got a positive even though I definatly ovulate. The closest to it, a dark 2nd line for two days, was not technically a positive but I am sure in retrospect that it was about where I ovulated. So I always go by the darkest 2nd line result. I always have a two day fade in and fade out.
    However, if I use fortel, nothing! No fade in & mostly no second line. If I get a slightly dark line it will be for a few hours and when re-testing later same day in the hope that I get a true positive, gone. Perhaps if they were cheaper I'd test more (4-5times a day?) and be able to get that elusive result but till now my affordable lullaby conception tests are the only way to go. the fade in gives you some warning that ov is coming which is nice.
    It's frustrating but I hope this helps,

sassba

Sarah - Last mth I got 2 days of faint lines and then a really dark line 3rd day, 4th day nothing.
    This cycle I had about 2 wks of faint lines, but missed one day which I think would have been O so can't say if the line would have changed.
    I am now a little hesitant about relying on OPK's.
    Hope this helps.

Hi Sarah,

LH is supposed to remain elevated up to 48hrs after you ovulate. I find the 2nd line fluctuates in darkness rather than a gradual increase until ovulation. I use the 'confirm' brand and always get a correct result that corresponds with my mucus readings.

I have found fortel unreliable and used it in conjunction with 'confirm' one cycle as an experiment. This confirmed my suspicions that fortel was unreliable. A chemist only brand once gave me a false positive (I was using it in conjunction with 'confirm' - another experiement!).

I think as long as you use it in conjunction with mucus readings at least you shoul feel confident with the results. To be honest, I use the maybe baby as well and personally had ferning at infertile times.

It's harder than you think isn't it? Everyone is different, my experiences are just one of many but I hope it helps all the same.

Good luck,

Michelle

I found them hard to use... I did one the day b4 FF gave me a coverline the month i fell pg and it was really faint so im not confident in them.. Maybe do a couple more and see what happens.. How come your not sure about FF's coverline??

Jane it says I Oed at CD14, which is absolutely unheard of for me, I usually O from CD17-19 so it'd all a bit weird this month. Ooooh well, I can just see what happens now.

Sarah, it seems to happen to a lot of ladies... they stop using OPK's for a day or so and they completely miss the surge!!

I hope you don't need them again

Tanya

HI Sarah, Have you been testing continuously? If so and you haven't noticed any great variation in the colour of the second line I would definitely keep testing. It can be helpful to test twice a day. Not everyone will have a positive that lasts for a couple of days - I certainly never have had that even on clomid but as you know I have successfully conceived. This cycle I got a neg at around 1230pm a neg around 5pm and a positive at 8.30pm at night. By the next day at 11am the line was still very dark but wasn't a true positive any longer. So, you can see from that that it can be easy to miss the surge.

I have evrerything crossed for you Sarah...

Fair enough Sarah that is strange... I wish you all the best...

Oh dear, this is just so complicated! I tested CD 11 & 12 & got nothing. Then CD 15 & 16 I got super faint lines and CD 17 got nothing again. And of course FF has said O was CD 14 when I didn't test LOL! I've got the temp rise & everything to suggest O, other than MB ferning afterwards, I just don't understand why it was so early. Damn body caught me off guard & I don't think we have much of a chance. This is the reason I've never used OPKs I think!!

So much for being low key this month!