Thread: OPKs

Default OPKs

My cycle is usually 30 days long so according to the little table in the instructions I should start using the OPKs around CD14, but I'm wondering whether it might pay to do it sooner anyway, just to be sure...!

Also, i think i remember reading somewhere that 2pm was the best time to do them? What time have you got a +ve OPK results? Would it be beneficial to test twice a day?

I'm only so paranoid because I've only used OPKs for 2 previous cycles and neither time did they detect O.

Oh and I'm taking clomid - would that affect?

Hi LG,
    I started using OPK's CD10 to make sure, I test at about 5pm as thats when I get home from work and can do it. CD15 I got a feint line and CD16 a line same strength as control line. CD17 nothing at all.
    A book I read said that ovulation usually occurs around 7pm in the evening which is why i suppose they say to test between 2-8pm.
    I'm not on clomid so i don't know how that will affect things.
    Hope this helps you and good luck on your journey.

Thanks, S'rose!

Hi LG,
    By it's very nature Clomid usually gives you a nice strong LH surge (what the opk's are aiming to detect). It is accurate that 2pm is the optimal time to test. Some women benefit from testing twice daily (I am one!) - this is because of a couple of fators. I have done an opk at 2pm and then another at 8pm and the one at 2pm was neg but the one at 8pm was positive. You can see from that that had I not done the second test I wouldn't have detected my surge and missed my ovulation. (the test at 11am the following day was positive but at 2pm was negative).

So, yes, it can be a good idea to test twice daily or even thrice daily around ovulation. If this is your first month on clomid you may find you don't ovulate when you do usually. I would begin to test earlier than cd14. I personally would start testing on cd11/12. This is because generally you will ovulate between cd13-15 on clomid - however this isn't a hard and fast rule. I am one of those women who ovulate LATER than usual on clomid and you will find that there are a few of me around! Obviously if you are artificially stimulating your ovaries you want to make certain that you know when ovulation is occuring for the best possible chance of conception. This is why it can help some women to test a little more frequently.
    Lullaby conceptions has some really affordable and accurate tests.

Each woman will ovulate according to her own body clock and hormone levels. Basically you will ovulate 12-36 hours after that initial LH surge. So for some women it will be quite soon after that positive test and some months it will be a day or so later. Just ensure that you do the deed when you see a positive and for the next coupld of days afterward.

Good luck and I hope you catch that egg this month!

Hi LG! How are you? My cycle is normally 28 days, and I start using OPK on day 10 or so. This month I got a faint positive on CD12, faint on CD 14, but reallllyyy strong on CD15. Last month as soon as i got a faint line I took that as a positive, but now I think you have to wait until the line is strong as the control line. I usually do it at around mid morning, and again late night, just to be sure.
    Good luck hun.

I lost the instructions for my OPK's. Sure I know the basics, but how long should it take for the line to appear. Is it 3-5 mins like a HPT? I think I've got my first faint positive CD24 and yes, I have long cycles too.

Wow Flowerchild, thats great info...thanks.