Thread: OPKs

janee Guest

Default OPKs

Just wanting to know what people's experiences have been like of ovulation kits. I have just started using one and just wonder how worthwhile they are?

Sal Guest

Hi there, I have found OPKs good in that they pinpoint the time of the cycle to BD. I have irregular cycles so I found using them worthwhile, however if I had a regular cycle I probably wouldn't bother.

Oh, I think I might have used one or two of those ...

I found them to be good because they can basically confirm the observations you have made for yourself and definitely help with timing. They are also simple to use. The cheapest ones are found in supermarkets and I don't think there's any difference between them and the more expensive brand. I used Seratec once or twice from the clinic but didn't notice any difference in quality between them and the ones I got at Safeway. Like Sal said though if you have regular cycles you are probably only too aware of when you are ovulating but if you need a bit of help to confirm it, the peestick can sometimes be your best friend.

Good luck!

Default reply

I used them to conceive my 2nd baby, so I am all for them, they really work.

You can get one box at Safeway or Coles get Fortel, that's what I used.

Just moving to General Conception where you may get some more responses

Yup, would definately give my support to the Fortel OPKs. We went 5 months of trying (you know, every second day up until a few days before AF was due) but couldn't seem to fall pg. First month I used OPKs, I got a coverline and fell pg that month.

Hi I have used the Fortel Ovulation kits and also the Discover ovulation kits, howevver I never had a postive OPK even though my blood tests confirm I ovulate. So sometimes they dont work for everyone.

Bel

I spent heaps of $$ on OPKs from the shops when we first started TTC but then I tried the ones from the Downunder site that's listed in the BellyBelly Directory. I found that they worked just as well as the ones from the shops but they were much cheaper ($2 each - bargain!!). Fantastic considering I went through so many of them due to irregular cycles! They worked really well too (as you can see from my ticker LOL!!).

Kirsty77 Guest

I give them the big thumbs up!I have irregular cycles and they helped me conceive.I don't think theres any difference between expensive ones and the ones you can get at the supermarket.

Amanda Mason Guest

Quick question about the OPK, i have just started using them and got a positive on Saturday and sunday, but got very little EWCM, if any that i noticed. Once you see the positive OPK, does that mean you are about to ovulate or ARE ovulating ?And would it be normal to get a positive 2 days in a row?

Sal Guest

Yes, you can get two positives in a row...but sounds like you are wasting your precious pee-sticks!! Yes, once you get a positive you will O within 24-36 hours, it doesn't matter if you haven't seen much EWCM as every woman is different, as is every cycle for each woman.

Amanda Mason Guest

Sal: What is the best time to use the OPK, my cycle is so irregular and my temperatures are up and down, there is no constant and I dont get very mcuh CM, so its so hard to tell when Im about to O or have o-ed using previous charts. I used the OPK on the off chance of that i was O-ing. I use fertility friend as well, but havent not got a coverline and it has NEVER predicted ovulation. Any advice ?

Hey Amanda,

My cycles were quite irregular too and very long so I used to use OPKs from around CD14 until I was sure I'd O'd. Went through heaps of OPKs that way but it was worth it because otherwise I'd worry that I would miss O.

Oh and BTW I once got 3 +OPKs in a row and quite often got 2 in a row so I'd say it's normal.

Good luck!

Amanda Mason Guest

Thanks for the advice... Just by chance on day 14/15 i decided to try the OPK. It might seem like a waste of sticks, but I feel its the only way I can be sure that im going to O, plus i brought them from the shop here at BB, and they are only $2 - well worth the piece of mind

I actuallu used my sticks from CD11 because it appeared that I sometimes O'd early and sometimes around CD16, so I used 5 every cycle, but didnt really consider them wasted because that was the only way to know for sure. I got my OPKs off ebay and they cost me around 75c each so wasnt too expensive an exercise!