Thread: OPKs and clomid

Default OPKs and clomid

Hi everyone!
    I'm new in here. I have been TTC#2 for 4 months now and I am using clomid to ovulate. Blood tests show I am ovulating, but despite much BDing, no luck:frown: I am getting AF around day 30 or 31.
    So this cycle i bought an OPK and have been testing since CD14. Today is CD19, and still no positive result. Could the clomid have some effect? We haven't BD'd much this week as i wanted to let them build up so I'm thinking we've probably missed it again
    Is a maybe baby better? Does anyone know if clomid would effect either of these OPKs, or where i could find out?
    Thanks,
    Linds

What days are you taking the clomid? I've heard of Clomid causing false positives on OPKs if you start using them too soon after your last dose but I've never heard of it causing negatives. As long as you leave a few days after your last dose then you should be getting accurate results. Maybe try a different brand of OPK?

Apart from the BTs, are you also having scans done to check on your follicles and to see when you are ovulating? Do you know what your LP is like?

You don't really need to let the sperm 'build up'. BDing every 2nd day is fine & will optimise your chances of catching the egg.

All the best!

I've used OPKs while taking clomid and whilst not taking it, and didn't see any difference at all. My FS said it was OK to use them on clomid.

I'd keep doing them. Depending on what days you are taking it, you probably haven't O'd yet.

Thanks for your reply, Angel. I've been taking clomid CD5-9 and started OPKs on CD14 so that should be ok?
    I concieved my gorgeous DS on the first cycle of 100mg clomid last time, and I guess i thought it would be that easy again

I haven't had scans done as the clomid seems to work fine.

Is it possible to ovulate so close to AFs arrival? Willow, you have given me some hope that it isn't too late and that it can be correct I'll buy another kit tomorrow and continue testing. I haven't had any other signs like CM or anything I've noticed.

Last time around tho we did BD much more. We don't seem to have as much time any more with a LO and plus DH works night duty now so by the time DS goes to bed, DH is leaving for work Life doesn't seem to understand my fertility needs Whinge whinge says I!

I've been testing around 12-1pm, as the instructions say not to test before 10am. But I'm wondering if i could test earlier since my day actually starts quite early these days at 5am!!! LOL! Is it more likely to have a positive result earlier in the day?

Everyone else in the world seems to be pregnant at the moment!!!!

It's definately possible. I know one of the lovely ladies in our clomid/met thread ovulated on about cd18 and concieved that cycle.

Pop over to the clomid/met thread, the girls there are lovely and will help answer any questions you have. Here's the link:

http://www.bellybelly.com.au/forums/...=26844&page=10

HTH!

Hi there, I used Clomid and Metformin and concieved around anytime from CD 16 to CD 20. I never had any false positives from OPKS, the only time I had a positive was the month I concieved. Wishing you best of luck this cycle. My FS told me not to use Maybe baby as it is not a true indicator for ovulation you may miss the window of opportunity. I took clomid from day 2 to day 6 and ovulated around day 16 usually but that is just my body taking 10 days, I think it says on the packet it may take up to 3 to 5 days after your last tablet to ovulate, so I would test from day 12 onwards in your case to cover all bases.

Bel
    xxx
    Last edited by *Belle*; January 12th, 2007 at 10:28 PM.

Linds, yeah I reckon you should be right using OPKs from around CD12-13 if your last dose of clomid is on CD9. It's definitely not too late for you to be O'ing either. If you haven't O'd yet you could be very close to doing so. I wasn't on Clomid for my current PG (I was with K) but I still managed to conceive this time with only a 9 day LP.

As far as when to test with the OPKs, I found I got better results when I tested late afternoon or early evening, say 4-6pm. Still seemed to work the same even when I'd had an early start to the day with K. If you have lots of OPKs you could try testing twice a day if you're unsure of when the LH surge might be occuring. Good luck!
    Last edited by Angel; January 28th, 2008 at 03:06 PM.

Hey LG,

I had clomid from days 9-13 (I was impatient and didn't want to wait til next cycle)...and then O'd around day 17..and got a BFP on day 29...Prior to clomid, I pretty much O'd days 13-14.

I didn't use OPK's...but was charting online with fertility friend...so was keeping track of my cycle through temping.

Wishing you all the best!

Thanks again everyone! Still no positive result today (CD20) so I'm kinda resigning myself to the fact that we missed it (haven't BD'd at all this week). But I did buy more OPKs today so I'll continue to test until i have my CD24 bloods done on Wednesday. Perhaps i'll try testing agin this evening just in case - lol at me clutching at straws!!
    Have had a little bit of CM today (first time this cycle) so i was really hoping I'd get a +ve result from opk today. Oh well!
    Always the C line comes up straight away. But not even a faint hint of a T line.

Thanks for all your help, ladies! More questions again tho - sorry!

As I said i would, I tested yesterday evening (7pm) with OPK and for the first time came up with a faint T line I know that still isn't really counted as a +ve result coz the T line is supposed to be darker than the C lines, but do you think that means I haven't O'd yet? Just seems very late (CD21 today). I'm going to test twice again today. We BD'd last night
    My cycle is usually 30-31 days long. That would mean a very short LP, wouldn't it? I dunno, it's very confusing!!!!!!!!!

It normally means you are about to ovulate anytime from now until next 24hours or you have ovulated. But as you said you tested and this is the first line, I think it indicates you will be ovulating very soon.