Thread: OPKs - faint lines getting darker

sophabulous Guest

Default OPKs - faint lines getting darker

Hi all

I have the Fertility Naturopath OPKs. Tonight, for the first time I got a really faint line under the control line (and I mean really faint, hate to have it 10cm from my eyes to see it, but it was there!).

Are OPK lines the same as HPT lines - ie they get darker as you get closer to Oing? Or, they could stay faint and still remain a -ve?

kirsty Guest

I have never personally used OPK's but from what I have read in regards to other women the lines should get darker as you near ovulation, with ovulation most likely occuring around the time you get a line as dark/ or darker than the control line.

I hope that someone else will be able to give you some first hand information on their use & what it all means.

sophabulous Guest

Thanks anyway Kirsty!

:wave: sophabulous,
    The line should get darker as you get closer to O'ing, it's not regarded as a positive until it's the same as or darker than the control line. I know there are some girls who never get a positive with OPK's the line is always lighter. Do you know when you normally would be ovulating, are you still a few days out from that? That may explain the faint line.
    Hope thats helped a little, let us know how it goes and if the line gets darker.

Rach

hey soph, you should be ovulating in the next few days.

did your ob tell you to take clomid on days 5-9? ask him if you can take it 2-6 as this may make you ovulate earlier hence having a shorter cycle

love ya babe xxx

sophabulous Guest

No, it's the first cycle taking clomid and I didn't ovulate before so I don't know when I will this cycle either.

Had a scan today and doesn't look like I am yet, so that would make sense with the OPK, so I'll just keep trying I guess!

sophabulous Guest

Yeah, I was 5-9 cycle this month. I suppose he will see how I go over this cycle and see how long this one is and what is happening so we can adjust for next cycle.

I will keep my for you sweetie

Hi Soph,
    OPK"s can be a little tricky for some of us. Some women seem to dip a stick a few days in a row and finally get a nice strong positive. I am not one of them!
    There is always lutenising hormone detectable in your urine. ALWAYS. Men have it as well as women. It is possible that you hadn't emptied your bladder for a while and the test has detected the LH that is normally evident in your urine. However,if you have never seen a feint line before and now you have it is probably an indicator that the lutenising surge is about to happen.

I get a feint line one day and then the next day it is darker stilll and then the next day it is back to only the control line. It has to be said that that 'can' indicate that a woman is not ovulating. I thought that was my case until I began purchasing from an online supplier and the owner suggested I bd the first day I see a second line and continue for another couple of days after. When I did this I conceived. I had already had a 7dpo progesterone level done which indicated that I was having healthy ovulations, so we knew I was in fact ovulating.

The best time of day to test is at 2pm. If you get a darker line today but still not a true positive at 2pm do another test at around 8pm. Some women find it difficult to get a positive.

So far I have never got one but I have fallen pregnant when I get that second darker line. So, for me that is a positive. For you though it may be a little different. I highly recommend testing up to 3 times a day if you are having difficulty getting a positive. It is generally accepted that the surge occurs in the morning. Because your first morning urine is concentrated you will not get an accurate reading so don't test on first morning urine. Some practitioners recommend testing at around 10am, 2pm and 8pm. Making sure to not empty your bladder for 2 - 3 hours prior to testing and be careful about not drinking too much in that time frame as it may dilute your urine and give an inaccurate result.

I would recommend you start to bd too. Just in case you are one of us that don't get the nice strong and obvious positive! The ultrasound should and usually is a very good indicator of imminent ovulation, so it could be that things are about to happen.

I would really love to hear how you go. Can you please come back and let us know?

Lots of love,
    Deb dust:

sophabulous Guest

Thanks for being so helpful Deb - I'll keep your suggestions in mind!

I actually don't have the OPKs at work with me, but I will bring some in and test tomorrow during the day, and then when I get home at night, to see if it makes any difference

Lizzie33 Guest

I would say to keep checking - the dark line should be just around the corner. I use the same OPK's as you do, and I always get a soft line about 12-24 hours before the darker line. Sometimes I also check twice a day when I know I am close, just so I don't miss that much loved dark line!!

sophabulous Guest

Checked again yesterday and no line at all this time! Will check again tonight...

I am having a bit of trouble posting. I am a bit computer challenged!
    Soph how are your lines?
    Let me know.
    Love Deb

Oh Goodness, where have my kids gone!!!!!
    Will they come back???
    Help I am a complete computer ditz.
    HELP!
    love Deb

sophabulous Guest

Another faint line again last night, I think a bit darker than the first one I got. Still not convinced though - so will soldier on and report back! That - added with my Maybe Baby which gives me ferning at some times of the day and not at others... I'm slowly sending myself insane

Hi Again,
    Last month i used OPks and i only ever got faint lines but combined with the other methods i narrowed when i O down to a 2-3 day time variation. I only ever got a very faint line, and then recorded as a + on OPk when i could see the line without squinting/ shoving it in my face; but it wasnt as dark as the control line either.