Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: opks as hpts?

Post opks as hpts?

hi, i have heard its possible to use opk as hpts, but not sure how it all works. does opk give pregnancy results faster than htps? any info would be great thanks

Babushka Doll Guest

Hi Renee, not sure about using opks as hpts, but I have heard of them being used. I would be worried that they are not as accurate as hpts? Was there any reason that you don't want to use a hpt?

Well, the theory is that Bhcg is made of 2 different chain molecules - alpha and beta. The lutenising hormone that OPKs respond is made up of beta chains, and their molecular structure is similar to that of BHCG.

In early pg, the BHCG has more beta than alpha chains, so the OPK can be positive before a HPT, and later only the HPT will be positive.

I have heard this before, and never tested it...... this time, I did an OPK (felt funny and wondered whether I was PG) because I did not have any HPTs at home, and well, it was positive - that was last thursday.

On friday pm I did a HPT and came back as faintly positive - had to look in light, and so I did a bt at work which came back as equivocal with a BHCG of 16. Then on Sunday, the HPT was stronger, and BT was positive.

So, at least here in my case, it seemed to work because I was 2 days out from my period, and so definitely not ovulating for the OPK to be positive with....

Hope this helps, Good luck!!

It's how I knew I was pregnant. The line showed up 4 days before anything on the hpt did and continued to do so for days after confirmation.

thanks everyone

Babushka Doll- was just curious, im a bit impatient with POAS lol. congrats on the pregnancy!

BumbleBea- thanks alot, makes a bit more sense to me now. Good luck with the pregnancy!

india44- thanks

Hiya
    I did an OPK on CD12 and it was a +ve and as I had never had a positive before on an OPK it seemed odd - I did not get my +ve on HPT until CD17 (and it was very faint).

Good luck - I think it can be a sign but you should definitely wait for the HPT +ve before getting too excited as I don't know how reliable they really are.

T.

Hi,

after reading this thread yesterday I couldn't help myself I had 4 OPKs and 1 HPT and i really wasn't going to test, but then i thought why not. So last night I did an OPK and got a 2nd line (never had one before). I am only 10 DPO today, but i still thought i would give my HPT a go this morning and it came back -ve. I did another OPK and it had a 2nd line as well, but fainter than last nights.

so, I'm excited, but nervous. my question is this, last night i got a stronger 2nd line on OPK than the one this morning, would it get stronger or weaker or stay the same? Should i take this as a good sign, or as DP would say "don't count my chickens"?

any advice would be great! thanks

Hi Bron, last time I was pg I did an OPK (can't remember when, I think about 7-8DPO) and got a faint +. Didn't get a +HPT until 14DPO, so the OPK really tipped me off to being pg. I did an OPK today, and got a faint + again, so really hoping that it works the same way this time (just with a better ending!). Good luck, please let us know how you go.

chris74 Guest

Hello,

This looks like a good thread to join, I am currently 9DPO and have been feeling a little "off beat" I have been doing the OPK tests every second day or so (I didnt want to waste the HPTs as I only have a couple) and so far I only had one line, but this morning I did the OPK test and I got a definate second line, its quite a strong line. Is this a good sign?
    I have been cramping a fair bit lately, and when I did my curves workout yesterday I felt really crampy and a bit off colour like I over did it.(I never get that) I have been getting twinges in my belly button area and some twinges in my nipples.

This is the first cycle I have used OPKS, I think I feel pregnant (Im going through a similar thing to my last pregnancy.)but dont want to get my hopes up just yet and Im not game to try a HPT yet as I know it will come back negative as its way too early.

Best of luck to you all

Christine

Yes Mrs Fletch!! LOL... OPK's usually aren't as sensitive as HPT either. But I suppose if it will make you feel better you are better off wasting an OPK than an HPT ... i mean cause HPT are a bit more expensive...

Tanya

I got an extremely dark +OPK at 14DPO this time around... I didn't think to try one any earlier. However, I did get a very faint +HPT (Downunder) at 9DPO so I don't know if an OPK would have picked it up any earlier than that!

Fletch, I don't think an OPK would do anything different just because of AF. I think it only picks up the LH surge around O time and some OPKs are sensitive to HCG because it's similar to the hormones present around O time.

Not entirely sure if the line has to be as dark or darker than the control, I have heard that though. On the other hand I've heard that some girls never get a 2nd line on an OPK until they are ovulating, so to see a 2nd line just before AF is a good sign for them. I always get a faint 2nd line on OPKs though so personally I'd want it to be nice and dark before believing that it was a sign of PG.

Good luck!!

I got a dark OPK today, not as dark as the control, so definately -- but about as dark as the day before a ++ OPK when waiting to O, so I am hoping it means something good... cause hpt don't seem to work anymore LOL

Tanya

I am just soooo over it Fletch! I am grasping at anything!

Hmmm... now you have me wondering who you are talking about!! Alright who ever you are... Fess up!!

Tanya

Hi Ladies
    Just wondering if when you use an OPK as a HPT do you still use your FMU?

Thanks Fletch, might try one tomorrow.

Hey Fletch

I did an OPK today at 10DPO and I got a line, not feint but not really dark.
    What strength did yours come up as?

Thanks

Yeah Emma, you have to use FMU when using them as HPT... Remember that LH is produced during the night hence not using FMU when testing for O... HCG is produced all the time if pg

I hope that made sence?

Fletch... you are are my hero!! I'll let you know how I go tomorrow.. although I am feeling slightly crampy this arvo.

Tanya

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast