Thread: opk's - which ones

mooshie Guest

Default opk's - which ones

okay

here we go again into mth 10 of ttc and decided to try the opk's as well as charting again. in the past i have used the fortel opk's from the supermarket and i did get a good result with a very dark positive problem is they are adding up in cost and i am wanting to use an opk from day 9 this cycle and test 2 or 3 times a day so i need to buy cheaper ones lol.

feedback - what are the ones online like to buy???? i think i read somewhere you can get them on ebay what are they like do the work.

i know for some people opk's can have mixed results and as i said i had good results on the fortel, so should the ebay ones be just as good??

thanks

Hey Michelle.

I used OPK's last cycle, for the first time ever. I bought a pkt of 10 online from Downunder. I only got one positive OPK, and it corresponded to the day FF said I ovulated according to my temperatures (and a blood test confirmed that I did ovulate at some stage), so I was pretty happy with them. I think they were about $1.80 each, which was much cheaper than at the supermarket.

I found, though, that I got really really faint lines, until O day which was the same colour as the control line, and then really really faint lines again, so there was no way of knowing if I was coming up to O time through progressively darker lines IYKWIM.

Hi Michelle,

I bought Ovunow tests off the internet. I originally found them on ebay but I got directed to the Fertility Naturopath website (from memory). I bought a pack of 20 for $10.95.

I think they're great becauseI had faint lines leading up to ovulation but after going through about 25 tests (I had to buy another pack!) I got a truly dark positive line (even darker than the control line). So I highly recommend them! I was getting nowhere with my Maybe Baby saliva test (ferning all the time) so Ovunow really helped me pinpoint EXACTLY when I ovulated. I have a crazy long cycle (70 days last cycle, possibly 40+ days this cycle) so I'll always use them. Good Luck!

Hi Mooshie,
    After losing our baby last May I decided after 2 cycles ttc to use OPK's.
    I used Fortel for 2 cycles and I never got a true positive. So, I started to think I wasn't ovulating. Bloods confirmed I was however.

Like you I found the supermarkets a bit too costly. I then decided to purchase on line from Lullaby Conceptions. Once again I didn't get a true positive - I phoned Lullaby and Jody (owner) explained some women just don't but they still ovulate. She suggested I start to bd - I did and I conceived! I researched at great length the whole opk thing. The LH surge as I am sure you know occurs 12 - 48 hours before ovulation and it is the lutenising hormone that signals the release of the egg. This surge isn't easily detected in some womens urine. I found that if I tested twice a day (for me it was 2pm and 6pm) I got a much darker line but still not a positive. Sadly I lost the pregnancy above at 5 and a bit weeks. I used opk's in the next cycle and conceived immediately. However, I lost that baby recently too. So, like you I am going to be using opk's again soon.

One thing I found with Lullaby is that you don't get any second line unless you are about to surge. It is worth even giving the company a call and talk about it with Jody who is amazingly compassionate and informative. I know that it is universally said that the line HAS to be as dark as or equal to the control line to be positive however I have NEVER got a true positive. There are lots and lots of stories similar to mine, so just keep that in mind. I bd as soon as I see a second line for 3 nights. I have been fortunate to conceive on every occassion I have done that. The other thing that I also used was preseed. I used this because I don't notice EWCM since having children. There are lots of success stories using this also. Anyway just remember to bd as soon as you see a second line and once you see a second line test again 4 hours later (make sure you limit your fluid intake for a few hours prior to testing) and you may get a darker line. Once I tested at 12 and got a feint line 2pm slightly darker, 6pm slightly darker and 8pm gone altogether. But I conceived then. So, the moral of the story is every woman's body is different and the absence of a positive line doesn't mean that you are not ovulating. I highly highly recommend though that you begin the bd as soon as you see a second line if you chooose Lullaby.

Good luck Mooshie, maybe we will be Belly Buddies hey?
    love and blessings,
    Deb

Ghada Guest

Hi

Ive used OPKs from both Downunder and Fertility Naturopath and had no problems with either. The prices are great and the service even better! Goodluck!!!

i got mine, like luckymum from fertility naturopath as well. I havent yet got to use them as only on day 4 of this cycle. Hopefully they work well for me

phoebe02 Guest

I have just bought the ovunow brand from fertilitynaturopath.com,i haven't started using them yet but will be next week.I found their service to be great after sending me pregnancy tests instead of ovulation tests the woman on the phone apologised and said keep the pregnancy tests as it was our mistak and i will post out the ovulation tests today by express post.I don't know what the pregnancy tests are like but hey they were free . I have long cycles too,last one was 52 days usually they are 31 - 33 days.

Wow - I was just coming on here to pretty much ask the same questions, so its great to be able to read these.

My problem is I have never managed to get a positive on an OPK, but I do know that I ovulate as I fell pregnant (lost the baby though), so I thought I would buy some cheap ones and just use them everyday from day 12 to day 25 (I ovulate quite late).

So hopefully these will do the trick!

Liss.

phoebe02 Guest

Well i tried them and they worked perfectly for me (ovunow)
    I started on day 12 and got a +++ on day 16 which according to my chart was ovulation day.I recommend using 2 a day because though because i didn't use one the afternoon before ovulation only in the morning and didn't get a strong ++ but lucky we bd anyway. They are so cheap and i am very happy with them.

I used mine this month (ovunow) and have had success with ++. Although the decreasing of water intake i did find difficult.

sophabulous Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sunny_summer
    I used mine this month (ovunow) and have had success with ++. Although the decreasing of water intake i did find difficult.
    I've got the ovunow ones as well from ebay...

What's the decreasing water intake bit about though? Are you not supposed to drink before you test or something?

Percy Guest

You are supposed to reduce your fluid intake a few hours prior to testing as it increases the concentration of your urine - drinking a heap of fluid will mean there is less LH in comparison to the rest of the fluid to test. The level of LH is very low anyway and is even lower when you drink a heap of fluid prior to peeing! Hope that makes sense!