Thread: Q for Maybe Baby afficionados...

Default Q for Maybe Baby afficionados...

OK, so I've started using it for the first time this cycle. I'd started using it after I received it halfway through last cycle so as to familiarise myself with it, amount of saliva, drying time etc.

Anyway, I'm only CD4, AF is just about finished and today I noticed that I have what looks like partial ferning. It is definitely "different" to the pebbles and dots that I had the other day that's for sure.

So, my question is. Is this normal? Is it usual to get partial ferning so early in a cycle. It is possible that I will O on or around CD11.

Lisa

From all your posts you seem to be very knowledgeable on TTC things Lisa. The only advice I can offer is to just record on your chart what it looks like today, as further along the track you might get something else that will actually be your partial ferns (not implying that you havnt got them iukwim).
    I find Ferning tricky, firstly reducing fluids and food, getting the right amount of salvia, and then seeing what you get as well. I feel that Ferning is a very individual thing as to what results you do get. I have previously have + Full ferns before O , even before Opks.

You can start to get partial ferning early in your cycle. If it is a mixture of ferning and the pebbly pattern then it is still classed at the infertile period. When you have dark, thick ferns then you are at your most fertile. There should be none of the pebble pattern that shows when you are in the infertile period.

Thanks girls. What I saw this morning (first thing btw after not having drunk anything or peed through the night), was definitely some fern formation intermingled with areas of pebbles and dots, as against just the pebbles and dots I saw towards the end of last cycle. I guess it is possible to be entering a transitional stage given that my O date could be in less than a week. Will be interesting to see if the same thing happens tomorrow.

I'm still temping and charting CM and CP of course, just thought I'd try Maybe Baby to see if they were as good/bad as I'd been told. Heck, as I told my DH, I'm a "trysexual", I'll try anything once! LOL

Lisa

Jenny Guest

I am also using maybe baby and this may seem like a silly question, but how much salive do you put on the microscope? I have been using Maybe baby all month and have not had any ferns. This could mean one of two things; I did not ovulate or I am using it wrong! Some advice would be appreciated!

That's a good question, I can never seem to get the right amount on my first attempt. Usually have to wipe it off and start again. I then put it down to dry and my best results have come from when the saliva is mostly dry and without enough wet stuff to move if I put the viewer on an angle. If I can see movement, it is too think so I've put too much on it. Does that make sense?

From what I understand, some women never DO see any ferns, so the method doesn't suit everybody. Personally, judging by my temps and my other signs (CP and CM) I think that I am getting ready to O so should have been seeing more ferning than I am, so I'm actually not all that inclined to believe what it is telling me.

I have a feeling that my Maybe Baby will be going back onto ebay where it came from.

Lisa

emmajane Guest

Smile Im new

Hi everyone,
    I am new here but i have been reading through the forums for a few months now so i thought i might start talking. Everyone on here seems to be very supportive.
    I have been ttc since a few months before christmas and no such luck. my period is currently 8 days late, but i did a pregnancy test yesterday morning and it was negative, i was so hoping it was positive. though i hope the test was wrong and i am pregnant! but i am not sure of the likelyness of that. Anywayz, hopefully this posts ok.
    Bye for now

Hi Emmajane. Sorry to hear that u've been TTC for a while with no sucess so far. It does sound promising if u are so late - but then again heaps of factors can do that - like stress, weight etc. But on the bright side sometimes with a test it can take a while to get a positive response cause the preg hormone mightn't be strong enough right now and u might just need to test again in another few days....i'm not all that experienced though (there r heaps of experienced charters and testers in these forums that could be more specific). Try posting in the Conception forums - cause where u r here mightn't get seen by too many as 'Maybe Baby' is actually a name of a saliva fertility test. I wish u all the best - will have my fingers crossed that u get ur really soon. Look forward to chatting more later

Oh and emmajane - go to the 'Introduce Yourself' forum...if u haven't done all ready...u just have to post a new thread in there and say a bit about urself. That way everyone can say hi to u and u can ask for some advice in there too - everyone is very helpful! Have fun

Hi Guys
    I used Maybe Baby after ttc for a few months and fell pg the first month. What I discovered was I ovulate very early in my cycle so your ferning could in fact be accurate. I would start bding now if I were you! As far as amount of saliva I would COVER the glass in spit as soon as I woke up (I kept it next to the alarm clock). I would then get up and have a shower letting the spit dry for at least 20 mins before I checked it. The longer you leave it to dry the better the view...
    Hope that helps!

Jenny Guest

Thanks guys, the advice on the maybe baby is great and I will change how I have been testing and hopefully see some ferns! Thanks!

Well, I appear to have been on track with my suspicions. Ferning has appeared, together with EWCM so I'm hoping to have coverlines in a day or so!

It can be tricky getting the right amount of saliva and allowing it to dry properly. Even the slightest bit of dampness can distort the pattern.

Good luck.

Lisa

Great news Lisa - i'm at the same stage - ferning, EWCM, low temps...its nice when all fertile signs are consistent!!!

Quite amazing for me really, I'm still in awe! Considering OPK's don't work for me (ever), it's a bit of a buzz to have another method to try!

I'm back to partial today, still got a little EWCM and a VERY big temp drop this morning so I think I'm good to go! Two days of higher temps should see me with a coverline.

AND, very interestingly, I seem to be back to my *usual* two day spike or relatively level pattern just prior to O. I noticed it on a lot of my other charts and found it disconcerting that I didn't see it on a couple of the more recent ones.

Maybe I'm FINALLY getting back to normal and if I do manage to get a BFP it might stick? Fingers crossed!!

Lisa
    http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/fd71c
    Last edited by Mumintaz; July 26th, 2006 at 09:40 AM.

Well Lisa i'll keep my fingers crossed for u - really hope it all goes well and u get ur !!!!! Keep in touch

Hi Lisa,

Sorry, wasn't sure where else to post this as you don't have PM set up etc. Send me an email? [email protected]

Default My maybe baby is frustrating me

Hi, i have been ttc for 4 months and my mum suggested i buy maybe baby. I did and have been using for this month after af. anyway according to my cm and cp i should be ovulating around now but i cannot get any ferning. sometimes i do it 3 or 4 times in the morning b4 eating or drinking and only get pebbles. i know it says that you may not have enough hormone in saliva so was just wondering if this means you have a harder time getting pregnant becuase you have less of the hormone? ive been trying really hard anyway because i dont believe the maybe baby is giving me the right information

hi nikboe
    Maybe baby can be very temperamental and can take a long time to master. I always made sure it was really really dry. I know the instructions say to leave it for a certain amount of time but sometimes its still just damp and won't show everything.
    I wouldn't rely on the maybe baby, your cm and cp will be much more accurate. You could try temping next month, it doesn't give you any warning, but its pretty accurate once ovulation has occured. Fertility friend is a great site to use, loads of tips and they let you input your data and can give you more positive readings.
    GL with your TTC journey