Thread: Question on OPKs

Default Question on OPKs

Hello All,

I'm just joining your merry gang... some background on me - I'm 30 yrs old, married 18 months, and TTC approx 6 mths, at least I think I've been using OPKs for that long - I'm very impatient and once I decide to do something, I want to do it NOW!!

Anyway - I have so many questions, and it's such a relief to talk to other people who are going through the same thing... My first question it this - I've been using OPKs for several months - all the instructions say to wait for a line 'darker' than the control line - I do get a definite line around day 16 (I have a 30 days cycle), but it never actually gets darker than the control line... any thoughts?

Sal Guest

Hi Bertie, when I used OPKs I found that I would get a line as dark as the control, but never darker. It possibly depends on the time of day that you do the test. I've read that first thing in the morning is not necessarily the best time, as you might miss the surge of that day, hence you are already 24hrs into your 'notice period' when you get a positive. Just a thought.

Thanks Sleebly - I guess we don't all fit into the manufacturer's picture!

Another question - and I may be getting ahead of myself here... I've read that some women feel crampy around the time AF is due, even when they're pg, and this is often mistaken for period pains? Is this true?

Also, I used to really enjoy reading the TWW diaries - are they still there, and where can I find them?

Hope you all have a lovely day,
    Bertie

Kirsty77 Guest

Hi Bertie

I have the same problems with the OPK's.Its very hard to tell if the test is positive or negative as the lines never appear as they do on the instructions!But I have found when 2 lines do appear then the OPK's have detected a LH surge and ovulation is probably within the next 24-36 hours. I also try to do my tests about the same time everyday, which is normally around 6pm as as sleebly said in the morning is not supposed to be as accurate.

Also with the cramps question I myself don't have any rugrats yet but when my sister fell pregnant the first time when Af was due she started to get cramps and felt like she was about to get AF but then nothing and a week later she did a test and it was a big fat positive!I guess it depends on the individual though and everyones bodies are different.

Hope this helps
    Kirsty

CD 8
    Second round of Clomid 50mg....fingers crossed

Bertie

I know that you can have some cramping when you are pg. It can be the result of implantation or several other factors too. A very good friend of mine was convinced AF was coming for her and was shocked to find that she was pg - so much so that she did 3 (+ve) HPTs before going to the doctor!

Keen

Hello Bertie. Hope its not too much longer ttc. I know how frustrating it can be! For me in still feels like af is here and i do the mad race to the loo and knicker check!! Its not all the time but it can definately feel the same. When i tested at 14 DPO (cd32 of normal 32 day cycle) it felt like af was due any time, but my temp was still high so i was still hopeful. Hope this helps. GOODLUCK!!!! [-o<

Jo