Thread: thermometers

Default thermometers

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, so mods please move it if there is somewhere better for this post!

I'm wondering what brands of thermometers people use to chart? A lady in the chemist told me that the mercury ones are more reliable? But I was thinking the digital ones would be better (quicker/more accurate ?). Also where to get them from? Are they cheaper online?

Thanks

Definitely go for a digital that reads to two decimal places. They are so much easier to chart with. Much of a muchness for price. Lullaby Conceptions (site advertiser) sells them at a good price. But most large chemists will have them for between $13 - $20 and that is about what you'd pay for one online with postage costs taken into consideration.

Lisa

Hi LG! I think digital would be better. Mercury takes longer and I read they can be inaccurate if shaken etc. I don't do temping yet, but may need to start!!!!

I got a digital one because I just thought it would be easier to read, quicker and more accurate, but I really have no idea if that is actually the case! I got mine from a chemist and it cost $14, but I really cant remember the brand. It doesnt seem to be written on the actual thermometer anywhere.

I got mine from Lullaby Conceptions like Lisa suggested. It is a digital with 2 decimal places. Once I've taken my temp, I turn it off and check it later in the day when I'm fully awake.

My last digital thermometer was advertised as being 2 decimals, but when it arrived, it only had 1. With the 2 decimals ones, you can see an actual shift in your temps, compared to the 1 decimal ones.

Nic

I have a digital one from Lullaby conceptions as well.
    The biggest advantage of the digital ones is that they are easy to read, you can take your temp when you are half asleep and once it beeps turn it off. When you wake up later just press the button to see what your temp was to record it. Great for weekends when you're trying to sleep in but have to take your temp at the same time as during the week.
    Also definitely go for the 2 decimal places.

Def go for the digital one. I used to have a mercury one and it takes ages to get the thing to move up from when you shake it down, expecially on those cold winter mornings. I changed to digital (2 dec places) about 6 months ago and they are fantastic. I make sure that I leave it in my mouth for about 2 minutes before I turn it on though cos I found that is warms up the metal bit to what your correct temp is and is even more accurate then.
    They can be quickly turned on later on when you are actually awake and can put it on your chart with wide eyes instead of sleepy stabs of the pen in the half light ( IFYKWIM )