Thread: Time Frame for using OPKS in your cycle

Default Time Frame for using OPKS in your cycle

lovely ladies
    Query about OPKs- im going to be really good this month and use them but wondering how far in front of the time you are supposed to O do you start using them?
    I know on one of the little pamplets they recommend to start on cd 10 if you have a 30day cycle.My cycles have been 30ish days, but since charting have gone a little over the place from 30-40days. It just feels a little pointless starting early, and well peeing my money away on these little sticks
    Thanks
    Luv Summer

hey summer- unfortunately you do have to start that early just in case. Your best bet would be to purchase the cheaper opks which then works out a lot less expensive for you.

i start at cd9 for a 28 day cycle ...you never know

Hi Sunny,
    Welcome to OPK land!!!!
    You are absolutely right about peeing your money away. I hear you loud and clear!!!
    Purchasing from an on line distributer will cut your costs significantly. I would recommend beginning to test at around 10 days for the first cycle. The reason being is that many women 'think' they are ovulating at a particular time and then when they use opk's they learn that they are oing later or earlier than they thought.

If you know through charting that you have NEVER ovulated before day 16 it would be fairly safe to not begin to use your opk's until day 12. The reason is that most women will ovulate within 12-24 hours after detecting a surge. So, you need to be testing at least 3 days before the surge. For the first couple of months of using opk's I would recommend beginning on about day 10 though, and continuing to test until you get a surge and then for a day after. After say 2 cycles of doing this you will begin to know for you what the sticks look like leading up to a surge and for how long the surge lasts.

There are a few on line LH strip distributers. I use Lullaby and I love them. I know other women have other brands that they use. It does work out to be quite cost effective. After a couple of cycles you will not need to test for as long in your cycle and therefore the cost will be less. Of course LH strips give you a clear picture of when your 'window' is open and therefore it does increase your chances of setting the best possible scene for egg capture!!!

I really really hope that you get good results from LH strips and that this month you catch a healthy egg!

Big big hugs,

im very happy woth the fertility naturopath ones. They work out cheaper if you buy them on ebay compared to if you buy them from their website

Thanks Danni and Deb for your comments.
    I had got my last batch from fertility naturopath on ebay, and have nearly run out- have 6 left hence my questoning on when you actually start using them. I have found another one ebay with them so have now bought 100 to keep me going for a while! Just hoping postage is quick.
    My next challenge is to be able to use them, i know they recommend between 10am-8pm. When i was using them, i wasnt at work so it was so simple. Im now working, and by the time i get home its usually dinner time on some nights, then trying to allow the 2 hours reducing fluids. Oh well, at least it isnt as bad as 3 hours for the salvia test.
    Summer

Sunny,
    LOL 100 should keep you going for a while!!!! It is recommended that the optimal time for testing is 2pm. Can you take a little cup (a urine spec. jar from the doctors would be ideal) and just do the test in a normal 'loo visit'???? That's what I do.
    Good luck Sunny. Keep us posted!

sophabulous Guest

I got my first +ve using the Fertility Naturopath ones last cycle, and found them easy to use and inexpensive.

Sophabulous how much are they? Do you get clear sticks and then positive or is there always a second line???

The batch i just got on ebay even though a different user name, were still from fertility naturopath. I think all up + express postage which was about $12, total was about $55 i think from memory.
    Unfortunately my work doesnt allow this. Im a teacher and often my lunch breaks include yard duties! so cant really be running around with a little jar! LMOL

mmm okay I get the picture re the urine jar and yard duty - not a good look!!!
    So, do you find these opk's accurate? Do you get clear sticks and then a lead up? Sorry if too many questions.

Hi Deb,
    Yes my situation makes it a tad hard, although could always fit it into the science curriculum i guess! lol
    I have never received a result that is as dark as the original line, but in the day or two before O i have received a line which was slighter paler. And charting other things as well has given me an idea that they are fairly right with the results. I just find it hard to reduce fluid intake.

Although the only thing is that last night i did one and got a very faint 2nd line, i could see it was there, and then did a test today and nothing with the OPKS, or Salvia either, And CM is still only watery. That was my last one of my pack of 20. Now on to the 100 pack. I know i read some girls are using OPKS more than once a day so might try that this month.

Love Summer

I have found it easiest to test as soon as I walk in the door from work before I do anything else - and inevitably I need to go to the loo at that time anyway. Like you I dont get darker than control line +ves but I know from surgery and blood tests that I have O'd around that time, so it can be the case.

Sending you tonnes of luck this month and hope you need to pass those tests onto someone else because of your success