Thread: When to start using OPK's, and why don't they work for everyone?

Default When to start using OPK's, and why don't they work for everyone?

Hi everyone

I bought OPK's to use this cycle. My last cycle (first cycle after having implanon removed) was 38 days, and the cycle before that (with Implanon in) was 40 days. When should I start using the OPK's? I figured my cycles should get shorter???

Also - I've heard that OPK's don't work for everyone. Why don't they work for everyone?

Blah... I don't want to POAS every day because it will become addictive and compulsive, and I'm already obsessed and stressed about TTC .

I would start taking opk from about cd10, just incase I missed it! You will get a positive before a temp rise, once you see a temp rise on your chart you've probably already ovulated.
    I'm not sure about them not working for everyone, but some do have more luck with them than others. With opk you will always get a second line but it needs to be as dark or darker than the control line for it to be a positive, and indicates ovulation will occur within 12-48 hours. It's also recommended not to use FMU and test around 1-2pm.

also, its best to have minimal water/drinking consumption up to 2 hours before testing.

I started using OPK's when my CM began to turn fertile.

OPK's don't always catch the LH surge for everyone. I think most the time it's a matter of timing and urine dilution. They aren't the best indicator of O for ladies with PCOS because their hormones can be a little higher than with is considered normal.

I hope that helps.

If you were going to use OPKs, I'd suggesting starting from about CD10... depending on how long your cycles are.

OPKs don't work for everyone firstly because the LH surge can come and go within a 12 hour period... if you test every 24hrs, you can miss it easily.

Or, like Tanya said, your LH might normally be high, and will register a surge when it isn't actually a surge... Also, sometimes your LH surge isn't strong enough to register, the OPKs can look for a higher conccentration than what is normal for your surge, so you don't actually get the line that is equal or darker to the control.

We had scans to monitor O, and temping and CM and cervix position were in line with what the scan showed, and OPKs weren't always helpful. I would try temping and checking CM and cervix position also :-)

With longish cycles at 38 to 40 days, I think starting at CD10 is way too early and is absolutely going to drive you nuts because O is probably not happening until CD24 and 2 weeks of OPKs is going to get really expensive.

As others have said OPKs don't worked for everyone because they don't always catch the surge. Some women need to use them twice a day to catch it. Others, like me have PCOS and a higher level of LH anyway and don't necessarily need a large LH surge to O because LH is higher, if that makes sense.

Using OPKs after your temp has risen won't work because a temp rise indicates that O has already happened.

I'd recommend using no-cost methods such as CM and cervix position. The key really is getting to know what is normal for you during your cycle. It might take a little while for your normal cycle to reesatablish itself - in the meantime, get to know your own O signs - believe me, it is very helpful!!!

HTH
    TICKLISH

Quote Originally Posted by leasha0986 View Post
    If you were going to use OPKs, I'd suggesting starting from about CD10... depending on how long your cycles are.

OPKs don't work for everyone firstly because the LH surge can come and go within a 12 hour period... if you test every 24hrs, you can miss it easily.

Or, like Tanya said, your LH might normally be high, and will register a surge when it isn't actually a surge... Also, sometimes your LH surge isn't strong enough to register, the OPKs can look for a higher conccentration than what is normal for your surge, so you don't actually get the line that is equal or darker to the control.

Oh!! This helps heaps!! I didn't even know that you could miss it!!