Thread: Hi everyone, was hoping to get some book recs.

Default Hi everyone, was hoping to get some book recs.

I'm only a babysitter so I'm hoping to read some books that will help me understand, relate to and entertain children more. Books about changing their sleeping habits or diets wont work for me because I don't exactly have the power to do that.

I'm already reserved 1-2-3 Magic after reading about it on another forum. So if anyone else has any recommendations, please let me know. I'd love to hear them.

Hmmmm, the Science of Parenting is a good one. It does have sections on sleep and stuff but it also has some EXCELLENT information on how to look after toddlers and entertain them, how to praise them effectively, deal with tantrums, deal with separation anxiety - which will totally apply to yourself if you are going to be looking after other people's babies.
    Definitely one I'd recommend!

You sound like you'll be an excellent baby sitter, doing your homework!!
    SUe xx

Quote Originally Posted by EmilyRose View Post
    I'm only a babysitter so I'm hoping to read some books that will help me understand, relate to and entertain children more. Books about changing their sleeping habits or diets wont work for me because I don't exactly have the power to do that.

I'm already reserved 1-2-3 Magic after reading about it on another forum. So if anyone else has any recommendations, please let me know. I'd love to hear them.
    you should definitely pick up 'playful parenting' by lawrence cohen...it is brilliant and perfect for you as a babysitter...

I'll second "science of parenting" - although it currently goes by the name "what every parent needs to know".

I find children's magazines quite useful as they have age-appropriate tasks and stories as well as entertainment ideas.

Yep, 'What every parent needs to know' by Margot Sunderland

"Children are People Too"
    "How to Talk to Kids so they will Listen, and Listen to Kids so they will Talk"