Thread: seeking AP/Natural Parenting booklist

Jolea Guest

Question seeking AP/Natural Parenting booklist

Now that we're trying to concieve #2 I'd like to get some fresh reading in. I didn't know about AP/NP when DD was born but it turned out to be what I was doing and was delighted to know I wasn't just the "weird" parent on my block!

I'd also like any reading on parenting the 'tweens'. There is so much pulling me in when needed and pushing me back at this age - a little reading would be great.

Try Pinky McKay's books - they are all fantastic - some titles are Sleeping Like a Baby and Toddler Tactics. Elizabeth Pantley's No Cry Sleep Solution and the toddler version are good too. On AP I have read the one by Dr Sears - I think it's just called Attachment Parenting and I quite liked that.

I am not sure about tweens, I haven't got there yet! You could try posting in older kids or teenagers about that.

You might find Louise Porter's 'Children are people too' helpful as the concepts apply across the ages but then she also has a trouble shooting section in the second half which includes some common older children and teen issues.

I agree with the Pinky McKay recomendation.

She has also written "100 ways to calm the crying"

Another fantastic one is "The Science of Parenting" by Margot Sunderland. I'm in the process of reading that and it is great. it really goes into the brain development and how your behaviour can affect your child. It also gives practical tips on how to use your child's developmental stages as tools in your parenting. Working with your child rather than agains it. I can't recommend it highly enough. It's scientifically minded but easy to read.

Then there's "Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering" by Sarah J Buckley. I looooooved this book when I was pregnant. It was actually recommended to me by my midwife. Again, it has some scientific aspects in it, but very easy to read. but it does focus more on pregnancy, birth and the immediate baby stage. Although it does have a little about toddlers as well. You can read quite a lot of her articles from the book on her web page. Just google her name.

I haven't read Dr. Sears' book, but I have heard some good things about it.

Then there's "The Continuum Concept" by Jean Liedloff. I haven't read it, but I have read about it and find it intriguing. It's on my list.

I'm sure there's lots of others, I just can't think of them. I can't help you with tweens. But I can imagine that it must be soooo difficult.

Sasa

Jolea Guest

Thanks ladies.

I went to the library and have several of Pinky McKay's books (Half way through parenting by heart and loving it!), also got the Science of Parenting and Children are People too. Once I get through this lot I'll try and find some of the others on ebay.

Thanks agian

Oh, yeah, I forgot about Parenting by Heart. I read that and loved it. To be honest, I find that a lot of the books say pretty much the same things. But it helps to reaffirm the statements.
    Sounds like you have your work cut out for you now wtih all those books.

I second (and third) the Science of Parenting and Pinkys books - Parenting by Heart and Sleeping like a baby! Brilliant!

'unconditional parenting' by Alfie Kohn is really really great too!!

I got it from the UK book depository for like $12 including postage.

Brilliant book that will really make you think about everything.

Alfiekohn has written a few rally great books about parenting without rewards and punishments..... very interesting and totally make sense.