Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steve Biddulph "Raising Boys".

Thumbs up Steve Biddulph "Raising Boys".

All I can say is wow! I am loving this book! It is actually helping me understand DH better too!
    Who has read it and wants to discuss it? I am about 1/4 of the way through!

I recomend it to everyone who has boys!

ME TOO!!!

It's really brilliant.

I keep meaning to look into that one. Glad to hear it is good. Have to hunt it down.

Krysalyss I wish I had read it sooner!
    i will have to add it to my list of books I give to new mums :P

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

I have it here bought a few months ago but havent started it yet!

Totally awesome isn't it! So many things that are really simple that make you go - ohhh yeeaaahhhhhh. Its helped me with teaching as well and I have Raising Girls which is great as well.

Ooh, I have this one sitting on my bookshelf, but I haven't read it yet. Must get onto it .

I'm about half way through this but haven't picked it up in a while. I think it's a pretty good book. Easy to read and helpful in terms of what to do when they hit the teen years which I am quite concerned about (although I probably should be more focused on getting from here to there first lol!). Will re-acquaint myself with it and pop back in here soon.

Yep we have it too, have only flicked through it but the parts I've read have been really insightful.

Fabulous wonderful book. I agree it helped me understand DF more as well and has helped me let go of alot of the fear I had with boys being rough etc. I would highly recommend it to anyone with boys.

Forgot to mention too that his book the Secret of Happy Children is wonderful too, gave me so much insight and he tours and does talks around the country. I had booked in to see him a few months ago but we were all sick at the time and I couldn't go.

I have read bits and pieces and need to read it thoroughly. What I have read I love

Isn't it great!

I liked the bit where it explained about how boy shouldn't go to school as early coz all they want to do is run around and be physical not sit in a classroom to learn, and that is why boys are disruptive in class...it makes so much sense!

My MCHN (who I love) recommended this to me just last Friday! Something about teaching the boys to name their emotions? It's only been 2 days and already it's helping, slightly less rumbles and more wailing of 'I feel upseeeeet'.

Quote Originally Posted by Yules View Post
    Isn't it great!

I liked the bit where it explained about how boy shouldn't go to school as early coz all they want to do is run around and be physical not sit in a classroom to learn, and that is why boys are disruptive in class...it makes so much sense!
    Yup it does make sense doesnt it....I am really glad both my boys will be 6 going on 7 when they can start school but if I feel they are not ready we will wait.

Tan I wanted to go to one of his talks last month but couldnt was so sad i missed it...you can hire DVDs of his talk for groups etc might havew to get a group together so I can see it.

Nelle havnt got to that part yet but its true how people use to think that boys shouldnt be cuddled etc cause they were boys.

Cant wait ot read more...DH has said he wil read this one too

I enjoyed it but there were aspects I didn't agree with.
    TBH the whole starting school late thing doesn't resonate with me. At the other end of school you end up with young adults who are being still being forced into what is essentially a routine for children. It seems kind of wrong that someone who is allowed to enter a pub and vote should also have to follow a school routine. I started Yasin at the age he was meant to start in the NSW system. When we moved to the ACT system he wouldn't have had to start because their cut-off is later in the year. As a result he is the youngest in the school (him and one other girl are the only ones who haven't turned 6 yet) but he loves school and does really well academically. Socially he isn't friends with many of the kids in his class because he's made friends with some boys in year 1 and 2 who he prefers to spend his time with. My younger boy will be starting school next year. He could stay at home another year but he's ready for school and looking forward to it.
    I don't see any benefit in keeping children home when they are ready for school just because of their gender.

I'm not planning on taking my boys out to dinner to celebrate their sexuality either. That's just cruel.

ETA - I don't usually agree with Miranda Divine (in fact I usually feel like strangling her) but I came across this article ages ago and surprised myself by nodding along. I just googled it because I thought it was relevant to my post.
    http://www.smh.com.au/news/opinion/m...818724394.html
    Last edited by Phteven; September 20th, 2010 at 08:29 AM.

A bit off topic but with regard to schooling, it jut frustrates me that it differs from state to state. I started school in NSW (kindy) when I was 4. I couldn't imagine DS doing the same, but I was an academic square when I was little!

If I don't think Max is ready when other kids start school, then I won't send him. In the book though and remembering from when I was at school, the boys always came across as the 'naughty' ones in class coz they didn't listen, or were disruptive, which can (now I realise) just come down to the fact that they are boys, which doesn't seem fair!

As it is with DS I can see he can't keep his focus on something for a long period, and will run off and do something else, or want to go outside and run around.

I'm off to read that article now Onyx!

Quote Originally Posted by Onyx View Post
    I don't see any benefit in keeping children home when they are ready for school just because of their gender.

I'm not planning on taking my boys out to dinner to celebrate their sexuality either. That's just cruel.

Yup I wont keep him back if he is ready but it made so much sense...the boys were always in trouble for moving around not wanting to sit still etc
    havent reached the part about the sexuality...is it celebrating who they are or their fist sexual encounter...if its a celebration of who they are themn I dont see a problem if its not forced ont them?

I see what the article is saying but I guess I would hold back my daughter if I had one if I thought she would benefit? It really comes down to the individual child...I couldnt imagine sending my son to prep at the age of 4 then I just know he wouldnt be ready and would rather him learn through play???

am off to read the article....spose like most books you take what resonates and discard what doesnt...but it certainly gets the mind thinking

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast