Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lucy's 3 under 3 parenting debrief.......

YAY Fantastic Lucy!!!

BTW We have had HUGE issues with food over the past few months as well. Matilda went 2 months eating only a handful of dinners. We applied some of those strategies about (maybe a bit more "gentle") and now she eats 6 out of 7 dinners!

That is good to hear Christy.......the above is a bit full on for me too......I cannot refuse a drink of water FFS!

Olivia slept all through the night, no night wanderings at all.......I kept the door shut till about 5am (after I got up after feeding Lexie) and Olivia came out at 6am on the dot....(roll on daylight savings pleae, LOL!).......a very happy girl this morning.

And Lexie slept from 6.30 pm to 4am...............so I feel like a new woman this morning!!

I'm sure I thought I wrote it, but I didn't.... Christy - we open the door after she has gone to sleep too. But there is another sliding door that we dont open into the main living area for noise reasons. The airflow comes into her room from the other part of the house. All very complicated!

Lucy - tough love sounds like good advice, but like you say - how can you tell a kid they can't have a glass of water!! Sounds lie success for you though! Well done!
    And I hear you on daylight savings - even if the respite is only a month or so, I'm looking forward to a little bit of dark (and not so many birds squawking) first thing in the morning!!

YAY Lucy!!! That's Awesome what a tremendous Family you have!!!

No water seems too cruel... OOOh yay for Olivia being safe from Mozzies too!!!!

Melinda Guest

I agree with the water - I think it's always important to have that available!

In principle however, I agree with the thing about holding out the food until the next meal time - it's not as if it's days away after all, just a few hours IYKWIM? We've done this with Jacob too and if he still doesn't eat or mucks with the food, then we take it away with minimal fuss on our part and just play the waiting game again and try not to give in to requests for inappropriate things like biscuits! We figure that if he doesn't eat at his mealtime, then he clearly isn't hungry. Some days I swear he lives on fresh air!!

Had a good weekend. It always helps simply to have 2 pairs of hands,a nd DH is amazing.

Charlie was a bit scratchy....he has just started childcare on a Friday (from about 9.30am to 4pm) and it REALLY tired him out and we all "pay" for it on a Saturday. But Dh was doing loads of "chores" with Olivia so Charlie and Lexie and I were all able to spend some time just playing on the floor without Olivia "taking over" so it got him a bit mroe familiar with Lexie and I managed to get the comcept of "gentle" over to him, I think/hope.

Olivia was on great form.....I think she gets bored at home just with me, but with Daddy she is really stimulated (they did "building" and she "helped him" replace our deck steps) and so much less grizzly and whiney.

Her sleeps have improved heaps just in a few days, just by virtue of the fact that we have been shutting the door and really watching her food intake.

Lexie is great......still just sleeping and eating. Although she had a very awke period from 4pm to 9pm last night......so we just had her in the sitting room with us and she hung off the boob for hours and finally crashed at 9pm...........(3 week growth spurt perhaps? Dunno..)

Photo of Olivia booby feeding Lexie!

Awwwwww Lucy that picture is just gorgeous!!!

yay on having a wonderful weekend!!!!

It is Shannon. He has just started walking too, so I am missing some of his cuddles.

He is a great little boy in as much as he very rarely gets grizzly and doesn't whine or usually show tired-signs etc, so I know for a fact that childcare is the problem, in as much as he only sleeps for 40 mins at lunchtime there, and becasue he is so cheery and placid for the rest of the afternoon they don't pop him down again. Then he crashes happily at night with us but always needs more sleep on the Saturday......or 2 sleeps......poor wee man.........

Lucy that was exactly what Matilda was like at childcare early on. They wouldn't pop her down for sleeps because she wasn't "looking" tired and then was so overstimulated when she came home she would crash & struggle the next day. Soon enough we started putting her to sleep earlier for her night sleeps & she was much better the next day.

Melinda Guest

Is Andrew back at work Lucy?

Yep Mel, he went back a week last Tuesday........he no longer works for Optus and although he loves the new job, they are not anywhere near as generous with paternity leave..........but to be honest, whilst he is brilliant and helpful, I kind of was relieved to have to "go it alone" sooner rather than later as that is what I need to get a handle on, IYKWIM?

Melinda Guest

Yeah for sure Lucy. I think you are absolutely amazing - you seem to be handling everything so incredibly well. I don't know how you do it! I wish I was handling things half as well!

Thanks Mel. To be honest, I just lurch from hour to hour in the hope we all survive! For me, when I was still pg and crapping myself over how I would cope, I realised that, for me, it is simply mind over matter.

I forced myself to realise that MILLIONS of women, with a lot less than me (emotioanlly adn materially) have coped with more than one baby, and they all survive, so surely I must be able to as well.

In terms of coping with the meltdowns, I'll be honest too, In-Liven has been worth its weight in gold.......physically I feel great, but more importantly at this stage, it really helps me stay calm and cheerful.

I know that for me so much of this motherhood malarky is mind over matter......what is that quote by Henry Ford?
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right !
    ......it works for me.

Mel, you will get there, I promise.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12