thread: Screaming before a nap

Jan 2011
    Perth

So this morning I offered DD a top up feed then burped and swaddled her while she was still awake and content. I put her into her cot, she smiled at me, I kissed her and left the room. She then did what she always does if I put her down earlier than usual- played and stayed awake for about 20 mins. When she started crying I went back in, put her musical seahorse back on (seahorse sleeps in the cot too and plays 5 mins of lullabies), kissed her and left once I knew she was happy. So of course when I left she started crying but I let her go while I finished putting a load of washing on as she wasn't sounding hysterical. Then the crying stopped so I went in and she was asleep! This may have been a fluke but I think the top up made her drowsy enough to accept the swaddle and cot. Then her next nap time was per usual- screaming - but that was because someone dropped by and I missed the opportunity to get her ready for bed before it was too late. Let's see how her next nap goes today. Fingers crossed!

Jan 2011
    Perth

Hmm latest nap- put her in cot, happy bub, 15 mins elapsed, unhappy bub, went in and comforted her then left, she cried again, went in picked her up, calmed her down, put her back and she cried immediately, managed to comfort her without picking her up (this does not usually work) then she fell asleep! So yes there was crying but not full blown hysterics.

Only problem is, she just woke after 20 mins and all her naps today have only been half an hour! Not sure what that's about. Yes she catnaps but usually 40-60 mins at a time.

Jan 2011
    Perth

Mixed success today- put her down for her last afternoon nap earlier as per yesterday but this time after lying happily awake in the cot she became extremely upset and it was hard to settle her at all- when she gets like this she screams, grunts, and behaves as though she is fighting with my body, writhing and arching away from me. Oh well, tomorrow is a new day!

Nov 2008
    Perth

I'm just feeding DD2 so this one will be short as I'm half asleep

When she gets all upset and very jerky, that sounds like overtired signs. I never knew how to handle it with my first daughter (well not for many months when I finally worked her out!) but I found a solution quickly with DD2. I cuddle her, cradled, really quite tightly while containing her free arm too (while swaddled, she wears Love To Swaddle suits). This stops all the flapping and jerking. I make sure I'm calm (relaxed shoulders, breathing normally, etc) and gently pat her bum with my free hand and tell her 'it's alright' why doing lots of 'shhh' noises. I wander around the room or house for a bit or even take her outside if she's really upset. It's amazing how upset she is one second then quiet and asleep (or very drowsy!) the next. Babies love that security and the firm cuddle helps to stop all the fussing while giving them the secure feeling. Give it a go but remember to stay calm and relax. Babies also pick up on our feelings and if you're anxious, she will be too.

Oh, and maybe try the dummy again if you're still happy to use one.

Jan 2011
    Perth

Thanks Taurean. DD is in the love to swaddle suits too but I only put her in them at night to indicate the 'big sleep'. Daytime I use a muslin wrap. Do you use your suits during the day? I might try that as it might make her feel more secure and ready for bed.

Re dummy- we've not had success with it yet but still gently trying.

Nov 2008
    Perth

Yup, we use our swaddles round the clock here! DD1 wasn't much of a fan of the swaddle and went into Grobags at just 9 weeks (and continued to sleep right through, she didn't miss a beat!) but DD2 likes her arms contained. She's had a few day sleeps in a Grobag but she has only played up when we've tried them at night and nods off as soon as we put her in her swaddle

I'd definitely put your DD in her swaddle bag for day sleeps. Use lighting and noise levels as a cue for day/night sleeps.

Let us know how you go x

Jan 2011
    Perth

Ok will do. We have quite a specific night routine so daytime swaddling shouldn't confuse her. At night once she's latched we feed in the dark and always in my bed. We also bathe and massage her before her bedtime feed.

May 2007
    Warrnambool Vic

It's so hard to make your way through the parenting maze when you get so much conflicting advice. I know that there are books out there that will tell you your baby should learn to settle themselves during the night but that's just not the way babies' brains are made. Leaving her to self settle at this age will just lead to tears all round - she's just not capable of learning that just yet.

Hold her, cuddle her, feed her til she's completely asleep. Don't be afraid to let her sleep on your body or in a sling. It's really not time wasted. It can be a huge adjustment to go from a job where you are in control and organised to mothering a young baby. But babies have a way of their own - and learning to go with it is tough - but worth it.

Jan 2011
    Perth

Yep I'm learning that! Oddly enough I can't feed her completely to sleep during the day- she tends to wake soon after but it does make her drowsy enough to relax and allow herself to sleep even if in my arms- the screaming happens even in my arms.

I think she's not only not yet old enough to self settle but she's also too interested in the world to want to sleep. Even cradling her in a quiet environment before she gets to the crying stage does not always work as she is like a curious meerkat swiveling her head and looking wide eyed at everything.

But re her dummy refusal (or her inclination to treat it like a game and spit it out) she took and sucked on it just then! I tried it randomly when I saw tears on the horizon. But I took it out the moment she relaxed / fell asleep. I won't use it at night at all as touch wood she settles well at night but maybe during the day when I can't whip out my boobs.