Thread: Short or Long?

Default Short or Long?

We are trying to figure out a good routine for DD, maybe one where she sleeps longer than 5 hours at night, and doesnt get belly aches.
    Just wondering what works better for other people, big feeds (as in both sides 10 mins plus) Or little frequent feeds? (8 mins max and maybe only on one side)
    When we do short but frequent feeds, dd does not sleep over 10 mins during the day, but seems happy and has no tummy aches.
    But when we do the big feeds every 3 hours give or take, there are lots of tummy aches and she is hard to settle, but once she is settled she sleeps long periods during the DAY (not night)
    I know we need to learn for ourselves, but just curious as to what works best for people?
    tia

I don't have any advice I'm sorry, I used to just feed until she was finished. Whether that was one side, both sides, short or long. I'm no help!

But I am just curious, genuinely curious, how do you know it is your breast milk causing her belly aches?
    Last edited by Indadhanu; August 29th, 2010 at 01:52 PM.

Hun, this is really something that will vary from baby to baby, and mum to mum. Most of the time babies seem to prefer more frequent feeds, as this suits their tiny tummies. However some babies seem to naturally go longer between feeds. Of course some babies drink much faster than others too - some babies can take half an hour to get enough milk, and others just 5 minutes or less. Another factor is the milk storage capacity of your breasts - this has nothing to do with size so you don't ever really know whether your capacity is on the high or low side. But obviously where mum has more storage capacity, there is more chance that baby will go longer between feeds.

Either way, it is always a good idea to let your baby finish one side first before offering the second breast. Some babies will take the second side, others won't, and it can change from day to day. It is usually recommended that you offer though.

have u tried something like infacol just before a big feed? giving some before a feed might help with the tummy aches.

What else could cause the tummy aches?
    She changes the frequency of her feeds quite regularly, sometimes I worry I'm not giving her enough because she'll feed, then play for an hour and a half then sleep for two hours.

..I really have no idea what I'm doing here.

Sorry!!!!! I'm a bit of an idiot I thought she was over a year old! Don't ask my why, it clearly says 2010, but I read 2009. My brain must have collapsed for a minute. I feel so stupid now

Hope someone can come give you some ideas and some help.

Sorry again. I really do feel dumb!

That's ok!

Wind can cause tummy aches.

Our little lump has a definite pattern in the evenings (ie, 8pm-11pm) where he goes into major snack mode. Left boob, right, left, right, then rejects the boobs and turns into a googly-eyed bundle of wriggles (I usually hand him to my partner for this since he isn't the boobie bar) and then he goes down for 4-6 hours at around 10:30-11pm. That sleep got shorter in his last growth spurt but I'm hoping it starts to get longer again, him going down for 8 hours would be absolute bliss *sigh*

poopie hun, it sounds like you are doing a great job. It is hard to know what you are doing at first, but you seem to following your DD's cues which is great. Babies at that age often have 8 - 12 feeds in 24 hours but these won't be evenly spaced. It is normal for there to be one longer period of sleep, and one period of almost constant feeding. Then to complicate matters they go through wonder weeks where they increase their feeding and have most mums thinking their supply has dropped (which it hasn't!). If you are not sure if she is getting enough milk, the nappies will tell you - you are looking for 5 or more heavily wet disposable or 6 - 8 pale wet cloth nappies in 24 hours.

At 2 months it is difficult to establish a real "routine" as things seem to change from day to day. However you will probably notice her starting to settle into a sort of a pattern. It does get easier as they get older!!

Just wanted to say you're doing things perfectly. We didn't have a really clear routine till six months. At two months I used to hold her for every sleep and until I went to bed.

Something else to consider...if you're swapping sides by the clock and not by her lead, you may not be draining your breasts fully, meaning she is getting more foremilk than hindmilk. Hindmilk is more satisfying and should lead to longer sleeps (theoretically).

At your bubs age, dd was so variable that each day was different. I too used to look for a pattern, but in the end the less I thought about it the better. You're both getting to know each other! Try and enjoy the newness because it won't be long before you're juggling all sorts of things as well as the baby!

Hope this helps!

You're doing fine. Belly aches and the like are pretty common at this age and will probably sort themselves out in a bit. Variability is also to be expected at this age - few newborns have much of a routine.
    Honestly, I'd just go with what she wants - in terms of length of feed and frequency. It'll sort itself out.
    BTW, 5 hours of sleep = sleeping through for a little baby. So she's doing really well there too.

Quote Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
    poopie hun, it sounds like you are doing a great job. It is hard to know what you are doing at first, but you seem to following your DD's cues which is great. Babies at that age often have 8 - 12 feeds in 24 hours but these won't be evenly spaced. It is normal for there to be one longer period of sleep, and one period of almost constant feeding. Then to complicate matters they go through wonder weeks where they increase their feeding and have most mums thinking their supply has dropped (which it hasn't!). If you are not sure if she is getting enough milk, the nappies will tell you - you are looking for 5 or more heavily wet disposable or 6 - 8 pale wet cloth nappies in 24 hours.

At 2 months it is difficult to establish a real "routine" as things seem to change from day to day. However you will probably notice her starting to settle into a sort of a pattern. It does get easier as they get older!!
    I agree! I started writing down DDs natural routine and found that she has pretty regular, then just used that to anticipate feeds/sleeps.
    Her feeding length is up and down, she will feed for an hour, 20 minutes later she'll snack for 5 minutes, then nothing for 12 hours overnight sometimes!
    So hard to judge, but we just go with the flow.

Quote Originally Posted by poopie View Post
    What else could cause the tummy aches?
    She changes the frequency of her feeds quite regularly, sometimes I worry I'm not giving her enough because she'll feed, then play for an hour and a half then sleep for two hours.

..I really have no idea what I'm doing here.
    What about this are you worried about? It sounds fine to me.

Although we don't always know what's going on, babies usually do. A 5 hour sleep stretch at 3 months is really good.