thread: Anaemic kitten?

Dec 2007
    Taking a ride on my grdonkey :D

Anaemic kitten?

Hi all
    For those who have read my earlier thread, my cat had her first litter a few weeks ago! They will be eight weeks old this coming Thursday, and therefore officially old enough to go to new homes (sob!!), and the three of them are as cute as buttons... okay, much cuter than buttons... although I am getting tired of changing my doona cover every day because they get lazy and won't get off the foot of my bed to use the litter tray :/

Anyway, they had a checkup at the vet a couple of weeks ago, because one of the four became really ill and had to be put to sleep after the vet diagnosed a serious heart defect. Just to be sure (and to save any potential suffering) I took the other three in to get checked out and make sure all was well.
    All three were anaemic, but the two boys' hearts are fine - the little girl (Bean) seems to have a slight murmur, but the vet said it was a matter of 'wait and see' how she would go, and couldn't decide whether the heart murmur was caused by being anaemic, or whether the anaemia was a symptom of the heart problem. While they were there, I got them wormed and flea-treated (and got some tablets and Frontline to take home with me), and the two boys (Bear and Runty McRunt) have pulled up great - their little mouths are now bright pink, they've got fat little bellies and they won't sit still.

Bean, on the other hand, is doing much, much better than she was, but is still very skinny, and her tongue and gums are almost white. The vet didn't give me any tips on how to 'fix' the anaemia, other than getting rid of fleas and worms (I don't think they had worms to start with, but they had to be wormed anyway), so now I'm handing it over to any knowledgeable BBers out there - how does one 'cure', or at least treat, an anaemic kitten?
    As I said, they're going to new homes, hopefully next week, so I not only want to get Bean on the right track, but also be able to provide her new family with info on how to keep her healthy - I will definitely be making any potential owners aware that she *does* have a heart defect and that she may deteriorate down the track, despite our best efforts, but for the time being she seems fine and I just want to get her as healthy as possible so she can have as full a life as possible, kwim??

I'm feeding them kitten kibble, mushed up with a bit of water (as advised by various websites on rearing kittens) and am giving them Whiskas' kitten milk - they are still being fed on occasion by their mother but she seems to be weaning them, so I'm trying to make sure they're getting enough food elsewhere. Yes, they always have plenty of water as well.

I just don't know what I can do to help Bean - is there something I can feed her? Is there something I can do to fix her condition?
    Any advice, suggestions or references to information would be greatly appreciated - I haven't been able to find much useful info by googling, so I'm hoping someone around here has either experienced this, or has some knowledge on what I might be able to do to get Bean nice and healthy like her brothers.
    Thanks in advance!!

Add boobaloo on Facebook

May 2006
    Brisbane, Australia

get some fresh liver from the butchers and meat section, either dice it up really small or chuck it through the blender, this is really rich in iron and should inject lots of iron into the little ones.

Add krysalyss on Facebook

Feb 2007
    on the move.....

Hi there. Your vet was right in that worms and fleas are common causes of anemia in kittens and can be fatal. Use a really good quality kitten food such as science diet for both the kittens and the mum if she is still lactating. Generally there isn't a need for kittens to be given milk. I am not sure if that brand has iron in it but check it. If it is low in iron she may be filling up on that instead of the good food. At 8 weeks they are normally able to eat dry food without it being mushed for them. In light of previous history I think you should get her re-checked so the vet can look closer. She may not be absorbing the iron in her food.