Thread: Budgies & Caneries - together in a cage ok?

Default Budgies & Caneries - together in a cage ok?

DH made a bird cage on the weekend.. more like an avery really (2.4m x 2m x 0.9m).

Can we mix Budgies with Caneries? I seem to remember my mum keeping them seperate when we where kids, so, am abit curious.

We had a big avery when we were kids and we had mostly budgies, but also a few finches, canaries and peach-faces (love birds) and they were all in together. As far as I remember there was never a problem with them being in together.

Think it should be alright, DH has canaries and finch together and they are fine.

Regards,
    Dianne

yeh they will be fine. Just watch the budgies as they can be bullies. If you notice they are losing lots of feathers, seperate them as they are under stress.

thanks.. i have done a bit of a reading on the net, and it seems as long as i dont overcrowd them, they will be fine.

I think I remember reading that curved beaked birds (like budgies and parrots) and flat beaked birds (like canaries and finches) shouldn't be housed together. Although, given enough space, I think canaries and budgies might be ok. Maybe just start out with a couple of each and have a back up plan in case they don't get along. For example, have someone that can take either the budgies or the canaries on standby.