Thread: Chook with a broken leg?

Question Chook with a broken leg?

Hi

One of my chooks may have a broken leg. Noticed her limping and not getting on the perch at night maybe 7-10 days ago. She is still eating, still getting out of the chookhouse and foraging.

When she walks, she can get the first part of the step ok, then the leg kinda collapses on her. She still makes it up to front of yard (around 40metres) and back into chookhouse up ramp at night.

Is it ok to see how she goes, or should she be euthanised? She is still showing spirit, and because she is still getting around, i haven't done anything yet but i don't know if it is fair on her.

I can't imagine splinting would help, but is it a possibility? Don't want to make it harder for her to get around. DH tried to catch her yesterday, and she moved faster than him!

Any info would be good,

ta,

Kate

Yes splinting is recommended - on the chook forum I am on I have seen where people have splinted broken legs on their chooks quite successfully. Get something firm and tape it up along the leg. Do it after dark when the girls are all calm - you can quietly take her off her perch without too much stress, keep her head covered so it's dark.
    Good luck!!!

Oh and I can give you the link to the forum I am talking about, they will give you tonnes of advice if you want it (as I learned the hard way I can't post links here!)

Yeah, PM me the link!

You are allowed to post some links, but not if the site is selling anything or a forum that is similar to this. There are few more rules, so easy if you just PM me.

I have a wooden paintbrush handle that i think i can use, light but strong. Waiting til the ladies head to bed and we can take a look and see which part of her leg is hurt. Thinking of bandaging it on. What do you think?

I checked out the website and we examined Brook (brown chook) last night. We couldn't feel anything broken in the leg. DH thought there was a lump near her 'knee', but i wasn't sure. It does look like the damage is near the top of the knee though, by the way she walks and when we were stretching it out.

I didn't splint, because it wasn't a long bone and i didn't want to do more damage. Considering making her a small 'room' for a few days or a week for enforced rest, but not sure want to restrict her when she still getting around ok.

I don't know. I reckon DH is considering knocking her off, and if she was wasn't able to get around i would concur. But at the moment she is still getting out and about. Will see how she goes today.

Yesterday, she pecked one of the chooks a good one (she would do this before she hurt her leg), and showed her fiesty spirit.

We have 12 chooks, but she is one of my favourites. When i am digging in the backyard, she comes in a checks out what i am doing. Have to move her, use the maddock, move the chook, use the maddock... she is pretty funny.