thread: The Dog Supply List.

Apr 2006
    Perth

We do chicken frames too, as well as raw eggs once or twice a week.

My advice would be get the cheapest bed you can find from a Red Dot or similar. Puppies are shocking for chewing, and their beds are so tantalisingly close when they're lying there in the night without company. I can't tell you how many we've been through with our pup - and of course started with the oh so beautiful $100 one!!

I also can't recommend highly enough the Kong toys or equivalent. My DH works from home, I'm home with the kids and we live on just over an acre but the dog still gets bored. He has a couple of kong like toys and they're fantastic for keeping him entertained.

Everyone else has covered all the necessities but definitely do the pet insurance. Nothing worse than being faced with the traumatic decision of whether or not you can even afford your much loved pet's medical care when he/she gets sick/injured.

Can't wait to hear about your new fur baby a bit further down the track. I was in two minds about whether or not my girls were old enough for a dog and just over 12 months down the track I am so glad we got our gorgeous boy.

May 2012
    Perth, Western Australia

I agree that dogs are as expensive as you want them to be, but I also hate when people that think that dogs can get by on a cheap diet and a life of living outside without interaction, walks etc. I think it's great you are researching now and looking to buy various items.
    Labs, despite being the worlds most popular family dog after Staffords, are actually not an easy breed to bring up. they are a working breed and as such have higher energy needs. They are intelligent and they need lots of mental stimulation as well as physical activity to keep them calm and well adjusted as pets.
    items and things I'd look at that are ongoing or higher cost items:

*Vaccinations
    *worming (regular, espcially heart worm)
    *flea treatment
    *desexing cost
    *PUppy preschool
    *obedience training (you can go to 10 week courses such as RSPCA or similar, but I prefer the ongoing classes they offer through dog obedience clubs. It allows you to go as far as you like with obedience, and your DD might discover an interest in dog sports which is a fantastic hobby). not sure which state you are in but ifyou contact your state controlling body (DogsNSW, DogsWest, DogsQLD, DogsVic, DogsSA) they should be able to point you in the right direction for a club in your area. In addition, they keep lists of registered breeders. for obedience, most clubs have a yearly fee, and run classes by the term.
    *Council registration
    *Microchip (good breeders microchip pup before they leave, and some states require registered breeders to microchip anyway)

necessity items:
    *again state dependent but some states require a car harness by law - check your state laws
    *Flat collar and lead - puppy size and then adult size.
    *identification tag
    *dog bed - i agree with others that crate training makes a world of difference to toilet trianing etc. it also gives your pup a "safe" place if they are tired or overwhelmed. Just a word of warning though never punish a dog by crating it, and teach the kids not to disturb pup if in the crate.
    *Stainless steel food and water bowls - easy to keep clean, not easy to chew, and don't break! I've had my bowls from when I had dogs as a kid, so they are about 20y old!
    *a selection of strong toys for chewing and entertainment. A kong is a great toy and good for entertaining. Treat balls are also good, unlessthe dog likes to chew.
    *a selection of toys for training/games that they don't have access to all the time.
    *brush and rubber mit (zoom groom) - sorry to say, but for a lab, you'll see a fair bit of hair. they are high shedders. the more often they are brushed the better.
    *good quality shampoo for baths as required. (in sayng that, a dog on a good diet, that is healthy, rarely needs a bath, and like us, bathing too often strips natural oils and can cause flaky skin)

Additional Stuff to consider
    *look into the head halter, or (as some dogs don't tolerate them at all, and it makes them miserable), try a harness that clips onto the FRONT. I use a product called a Balance Harness by a company called Blackdog. there are a few similar ones out there. Harness that clips to the top gives them pulling power so not effective.
    *a baby gate to keep puppy from areas you don't want them to access
    *yard proofing - check your house fencing and gates for security, and be aware that bored puppies like things like sprinklers, rocks, and dirt. if you are precious about your garden, allocate an area for the puppy to be if you are leaving it alone, and ensure there is shelter, bedding and water in that area. I've known of serial rock/pebble eaters who haven't made it past their 1st year. also check plants as some plants are not safe for dogs if eaten
    *Pet insurance - because you just never know...
    *if you are considering raw feeding, it's important that they get a balanced diet. Consider purchasing some literature on the subject. "Give your dog a bone" and "Real food for Dogs and cats" are two very good titles that give lots of information about raw feeding. ifyou are going down the route of a kibble, select a GOOD quality kibble that has a reduction or NO grain.

you can also, now, find a LOT of pet products on online stores for a lot cheaper than you would purchase in shops, so shop around!
    good luck Limeslice!! lab puppies are seriously adorable.