Thread: Is he too young to sleep outside?

Default Is he too young to sleep outside?

We just got a new puppy. He is a Lab X Border Collie and 7 weeks old. He slept in the kitchen last night and I do not want to wake up to that amount of poo and wee again tomorrow morning. It was disgusting as he has a really running stomach. We have another Lab who has a big kennel outside and the two of them are always in there together during the day so would it be ok for him to sleep outside at this age? It is going to go down to 6 degress tonight. ???

Maybe lay newspaper out in the laundry if possible?
    Our dogs mostly sleep outside, but that little & that cold I couldn't do it. If it was warmer, yeah.
    Does he have a bed? If so it might be warmer?

I probably wouldn't stick him outside just yet, 7 weeks is very young and he really should still be with his mum for a bit longer...
    can you put him in the laundry and lay down newspaper? this won't help for tonight, but can you get a dog crate and crate train him so he can go in there overnight? Otherwise maybe set an alarm for a few times overnight so you can get up and take him outside, might limit the amount he does inside, but at 7 weeks he really can't help it as their bladder/bowels are so tiny.

Have to agree with Clover and Ss_Storm.

Definitely dont put him outside yet. Can he sleep in the laundry? Just put paper down everywhere in a confined area and make sure you have a cozy bed with maybe a hot water bottle.

Also keep an eye on his poo. If it is really runny constantly then something is wrong. Look at the food that he is eating. Has he had any vaccinations?

I have to say 7 weeks is really seems very young to be getting a puppy from its mum. Where did you get him from? 8weeks old (minimum) should be the time before they are taken from their mum, better if they are 10-12weeks. Even though most puppies have started to eat solid food at 6weeks, most are not fully weaned yet. This could be why he is having problems with his poos. The mother also needs to teach it crucial skills about bite inhibition and not playing too rough.

Taking a puppy home before 7-1/2 to 8 weeks of age really deprives the puppy of much needed training by mum and littermates and will make your job of training much more difficult.

Not saying its your fault, but the people who sold it to you should know better.
    Last edited by AliBaby; July 14th, 2010 at 08:16 PM. Reason: more info

Heys missH, how is your new puppy today? Hope all went well last night

I decided to let him stay inside. I put paper down everywhere in the laundry and let my other dog sleep in there with him. He doesn't cry if she is in there and he didn't make too much of a mess with the paper in there. His stomach is a bit better now. He goes to the vet for the first time today for a check. It is the funnies thing though - he has been suckling on my older dog since we got him and she doesn't seem to mind. She has never had puppies and is only turning 1 this month but she has become like his mother.

My older lab did the same when I got a rescued puppy She still lets her lay all over her

Good to hear her tummy has settled down ...

I wouldn't leave a pup that young outside (but then again my dogs live inside!). You are in Perth and I've heard that parvo-virus is going around at the moment so don't take him out before his needles too. He definitely has been taken from his mumma too young, hence why he's suckling on your your other dog. It's nice she is tolerant of that! They will be best of friends!

Yes, he was taken too young but I think I gave him a better home than where he was staying. I got him from a lady on a farm who was keeping all 5 puppies in a cat carrier. The mother dog was not there and they were left alone. So at least he can run around now and has a surrogate mother. He had his first immunisation today but I won't be taking him out until he is a bit bigger. He is too small still. The vet gave him the all clear so that's good news!