Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to choose... Labrador, German Sheppard, Golden Retriever?

Default How to choose... Labrador, German Sheppard, Golden Retriever?

We decided when i was pregnant that we'd get a puppy when Jazz was one. Well, 4 months to go, so want to start looking at some breeders and etc, except first we need to decide on a breed!

We've narrowed down to the three breeds we want to look at...

Labrador
    German Sheppard
    Golden Retriever

But we don't really know how to decide from here...??? Do you think we should just view a few different breeds and decide? Or decide on a breed beforehand?

I'm not really sure how to go about it now?

I think deciding on a breed and then searching for the right breeder will help.

I would have a look at Canine Control Council's website and look at the breeds and breeders there. They have to undergo inspections etc to remain on the council.

I know a reputable breeder of golden's in Bulimba, but I'm not sure about the others. I only know she's reputable because I used to get her puppies in puppy preschool, and their temperments were fantastic. We also treated all her female dogs so we knew them all well.

I know some breeders of German Shepherds as well, but have been bitten by the mother's before and know them to be unreliable temperments, so I wouldn't suggest them as they needed heaps and heaps of work to get to be family dogs.

When you go to a breeder, you need to watch the interaction of the breeder with the dogs, see how the dogs react. How are they housed? Do they sleep in enclosures? Do they get to interact with family life? I don't think its bad to keep them in enclosures, but its vital that the pups interact in family life before you take them home, otherwise they won't know how to interact with your family.

Thanks heaps Christy, I was hoping you'd come on with some breeder info off to check out that website! Thanks for the tips about what to look out for when we go to view

I love labs. We have 2.

Not sure about the other breeds, but be prepared with labs that they shed hair. Even if you brush every day, they still seem to drop hair everywhere. Still love em.

DO NOT get a german sheppard unless u are prepared for intense training and routine my partner and i bought a purebred for 800 bloody dollars! and he had terrible skin conditions, hip dysplasia and fluid build up in one elbow we spent hundreds on vet bills even though he was from a reputable breeder, apparently they are prone to many problems especially hip and skin, he was viscious to other dogs even though we took him to obedience, he was terrified of strangers so not a good guard dog and very very defiant, he was soooo smart, too smart if u get my meaning, we spent 500 dollars on "bark busters" to stop his barking, didnt work, after a year of constant trying we decided to give him away to a farmer on acreage, and we were only 20 with all the free time in the world to dedicate to him and he was just trouble! but we still loved him but will never buy one again! they are great for the police force and for people who are really really dedicated, either that or we got a one off! bad luck!

I'd go a Golden Retriever, they are super smart and easily trained. Labs tend to be quite bouncy when they are younger but they are adoreable and train well too. German Shepherds are lovely and I've always wanted another one but got a Smithfield instead. We had Shepherds as kids but they do tend to be very possessive which could cause alot of hassles for you. If you do decide on a Shepherd make sure you see the parents and ask LOTS of questions about their (parents) temprement, any reputable breeder will (or should) answer honestly. Also watch how the mother responds to you with her litter. If she shows signs of aggression don't get one of her pups. We had Shepherds as family dogs when I was a kid, 1 of them was lovely and gentle but the other 2 had the possessive streak. The male we had wouldn't let anyone he didn't know near my mum or into our house and the female would sit next to us kids and guard us but wasn't so nasty to visitors. They were all fine with our family and they were very affectionate, as kids we could do anything to them and they would just let us lol. All in all they are highly intelligent and obedient dogs, I just love them. They do malt alot as well like Labs do. If you have the time and patience to train them properly you will have a wonderful doggy family member.

I'd seriously get a Golden Retreiver.
    Last edited by Tinks; April 3rd, 2009 at 04:28 PM.

I had shepherds my whole life growing up and they were all wonderful.
    They require training, but so does any dog. We had both male and females, they are loyal, protective, friendly, and intelligent.
    They do have some predisposition to problems with their hips in later life though.
    I would recommend shepherds to any responsible and sensible family, and would have one again any day. (You can also get in touch with the K9 department of the police and they will often have dogs that have not passed all the tests to become police dogs. But are temprement tested and halfway trained)
    Have also had labs and they are gorgeous dogs. I am still a GS girl all the way though

Alexis I grew up with Shephards too, aren't they wonderful!!! Shel and I are leaning towards them, but aren't exactly sure... love Goldens too (my grandfather bred and trained them until about 10 years ago). But yeah, every dog needs training, goes without saying. Labrador is on the list, Shel's sis has one and he is gorgeous, just a lovely dog. Terrible puppy but absolutely gorgeous...

Ah, such a big decision!

IMO I wouldn't go with any of those 3 as from what I have heard they all incur health probs.German Shepherds get bad arthritis in the hips; golden retrievers and labs both have probs with obecity.
    I would go with a Border Collie, I am not any kind of dog expert JMO and a few things I have heard.
    Hope you find the right one for you and your family.

I'm biased as we have a golden...so I won't post my opinion. Lol. Ours is a lovely boy though, but he can be bouncy when he wants to!

Honestly, any dog has the chance of having health problems, some breeds stick out because they do have known hereditary problems, but so long as you make sure the breeder has had the parents tested and scored for those problems (such as hip dysplasia etc) then you should be ok, although nothing is ever guaranteed. Things like obesity can be controlled by exercise and diet, and aren't necessarily a reflection on the breed itself.

I guess have a really good think about what you want in a family pet, and choose a breed that best fits your ideals. Maybe think about a cross breed too, there are quite a few lab x goldens these days, so hopefully you'd end up with the best of both breeds! It really is a very personal decision though, and everyone will tell you something different, so I'd just go with your gut and find a puppy that you like!

Labrador - They are great family dogs, very loyal, easy to train and don't take much grooming. Cann't get a better dog for the kids then a lab.

Border collies need LOTS of exercise!! They are working dogs and need it or get bored very easily.

Me - I have grown up with German Shepherds but our best dog was actually a German Shepherd / Labrador cross!! Intelligent and good natured, even tempered. Very easy to train and exemplified the best of both breeds.

Labs are puppies for a long time Shepherds can be very possessive of your child. Mum and Dad's shepherd is very protective of all children and will step between the parent and the child if the child is crying and the parent moves too quickly like they are going to *hurt* the child.

Having said that, I want one because of this family devotion and trainability. The police force often have rejects that are fully medically cleared for the issues described and the *fail* is usually because they aren't aggressive enough for the job

Dr Harry said Labs are his pick for families with children.

I had a beautiful Border Collie but gave her away to a farm. Its not fair to have a working dog in a backyard.

Lulu, agreed 100%, I would never had a border collie in a house block. We had one once, when we lived on 40 acres, and sometimes that seemed barely enough PMSL. She'd run like a rocket!

Thanks everyone LOL I pretty much got the answers i thought i would... every breed has pros and cons lol.

Thanks for the advice on choosing a breed, will have a look at some with Shel. I'll let you know what we decide

how exciting!!!!!

We had a lab cross german shepherd growing up. He was a GREAT dog! Lost alot of hair though...and by that i mean massive white clumps of hair that floated around in the wind. I remember seing a few tumble weeds (I think thats what they are called) rolling around the backyard with his hair!!

I think each of those are great breeds for a family dog. Each will need training but thats part of haivng a dog. You have been given great advice.

I wll be watching this space for an update on a new addition to your family soon.

No competition!! A German Shepard!! LOL I grew up with them also Can you tell... once a german shepard owner always a german shepard owner!!

One thing my dad taught me was then choosing a Shepard puppy, make sure the roof of it's mouth is pure black.... I have no idea what this means, but I remember it! LOL

Have you done this test?
    PEDIGREE: Select-a-dog

It might help you narrow down which breed to get.

I think all those breeds you mentioned need quite a lot of exercise, are you going to be able to give them the exercise they need? I only ask because I remember you posting a while ago about how hard it can be to get Shell to go for a walk. I don't want to put a downer on your plans - sorry if I've stepped over the line.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast