thread: How do i stop my cat from doing this?

Dec 2008

How do i stop my cat from doing this?

At our old house our cat always went to the toilet outside, however I always had a litter for her but at this house she started using her litter. Now she has taken to going to the toilet in one particular corner of the dining room! I constantly clean it and she goes straight back there to do it again every day.

How can I stop her?

SugarDust Guest

put her litter tray there then slowly day by day move her tray a few inches away until it is where you want it to be!

Add NaeNae on Facebook

Sep 2007
    South Gippsland

hmmm - maybe move her food there? or the litter box?

Moe did this for a long time until I got some citronella spray and srayed that on the pee spot. it must have masked his odour because he never went there again.

Maybe she is feeling anxious about the new home? Ask Christy the Mod she'll have some good ideas.

Nae x

Dec 2008

WE've been here over 2 years and this is a new thing, well in the last 4 or so mths anyway.

Good idea about the litter tray. I would so put her food there except the dog would eat it. She has to eat up on hte bench so the dog doesn't get her food.

Add NaeNae on Facebook

Sep 2007
    South Gippsland

WE've been here over 2 years and this is a new thing, well in the last 4 or so mths anyway.

Good idea about the litter tray. I would so put her food there except the dog would eat it. She has to eat up on hte bench so the dog doesn't get her food.
    ahhh pets always keeping us on our toes i wish I could offer something else but I am clean out of ideas.

Dec 2008

I've put her tray there so hopefully she uses it. It's had clean litter in it for 4 weeks and she hasn't gone near it!

Bloody animals!

Jul 2008
    Home with my Son :)

Also don't clean the area with bleach.. Apparently the ammonia smells like other cats urine so it attracts them to pee right on top of it..

Jan 2007
    where cosmopolitans and margaritas flow all night

I like the idea of putting her food there...animals generally don't pee where they eat

Platinum Member. Love a friend xxx

Mar 2008
    Perth, WA

May cat is very, very fussy about the type of letter we use. She likes one that is soft on her feet and does not smell (we use a clay one now).

When we used a litter she didn't like walking in, she would poo anywhere and TOTALLY refuses to use her tray!

Try some sawdust even. We resorted to that until we found a litter she liked. It does smell a little more but is very, very soft on their tootsies.

Dec 2008

Maybe that's the problem.. I never thought of her not liking hte litter. I use the crystal one cos it absorbs it all and it's easier to clean. GOod idea, I might change the litter.

Also I alwyas clean with bleach so no wonder she's still going there.

Platinum Member. Love a friend xxx

Mar 2008
    Perth, WA

AHHHHH.

it was the crystal one that my cat hated. I think the little rocks are too sharp on her feet and she flatly refuses to use it.

So yeah I'd say try a new litter and make sure she knows it's changed (just show it to her) :-)

Add Kazbah on Facebook Follow Kazbah On Twitter

Sep 2006
    Dandy Ranges ;)

You can get round crystals, easier on their feet.

If she's used to using the dirt outside, she may not realise that it's litter for her to use. Whenever I change brands of cat litter, I make up a mixture 70% old, 30% new for a week, then 50-50% then 30-70% and finally 100% new litter. To do this I put a layer of the new litter on the bottom, then spread the old ( eg dirt) on top so there's something familiar there to use for the cats. When I'm on the last bit of 30-70% mix, I mix it together loosely so there's only a hint of the old litter.

If she had a particular spot in the yard she used, get some dirt from there so it has her scent in it.

Also, to get rid of the smell, get "urine off" from the vet (black bottle) - exxy, but well worth it.

good luc2dk

Oct 2006
    Sydney NSW

The vet told us that the crystal litter can cause urinary tract infections too and not to use it. We have a white chalky one which the cats like but they leave little white footprints on the wooden floorboards!If you are in Sydney Tinkerbell I can give you some cause when DH's grandma died last year she left over 900kgs in the shed!

Dec 2008

No I'm in Melbourne. Thanks for the offer though, thats a whole lotta kitty litter lol.

Mar 2008
    Sunny QLD!

Is it possible she has a UTI? Often cats will do this when they have a UTI.... maybe try some of the suggestion's here and if there is no improvement's, take her to vet just to be safe.

As for litter, we use a saw dust base one, and it is flushable, so we just flush our's down the loo!!! SO much easier............

I hope you can figure it out....

Oct 2008
    Melbourne

We're having issues with our kitty too. All of a sudden he decided he doesn't want to use the litter anymore and will do his business on the carpet, he does wee in the toilet though so he's a pretty clever kitty. I think he may be protesting the litter so we've changed it to a new type, hopefully he gets the message.

I guess we just have to give them lots of praise when they do the right thing.

Good luck!!!

Oct 2008
    In a Nice Safe Space

Where does your kitty sleep? Some cats don't like their litter tray to be too close to where they sleep or eat.

A lot of cats don't like the crystal if they had something different before. It feels different underfoot and it also makes a funny sound when they pee on it which scares some cats and they won't go back again.

With cat urine stains in the carpet its true about bleach, don't use it because cats will always go back and use that same spot again. You can use an enzymatic cleaning agent like Biozet which is available in the laundry section of the supermarket. It breaks down the stain and neutralises the odour as well. I used to work in the animal health industry and this is what we recommended our customers use when cleaning cat urine stains.

HTH

Dec 2008

Sarebear yu do have a clever kitty!

The cat sleeps on my bed. Her litter is in our ensuite under a bench. The bedroom and ensuit are HUGE. She goes ot the toilet (both no 1&2) in the cnr of the dining room on floor boards which are startng to warp from the moisture becuase sometimes I just don't get to it instantly. She will also go around hte litter tray and occasionally in it.
    Up until a few mths ago she was fine and always went in the tray. I have been using htat brand of litter for about 3 yrs.